Looking at cars any advice on these? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking at cars any advice on these?
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:55 AM
Well pretty soon We'll be getting a new car and we have a few in mind, if anyone has these or info on them on what might be the best pick I'd love your advice. Here's the criteria. We have a 2 year old daughter so it has to be a family friendly car but still fun to drive.
We're looking at.....

VW Golf GTI (sucks that its not a 4 door)
VW GLI
Suburu WRX
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Scion XB (def. not my fav)

I know the prices on the WRX and the GLI are the max that we're looking at. The top three are my fav.. So give me some insight on this guys, Maybe even a different car to look at? Thank in advance!

Re: Looking at cars any advice on these?
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:02 AM
the new vw's are growing on me
id say if 4 doors are a must, the gli
its just a nice car
altho im sure darkstars will beat the vw down lol

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:08 AM
I'll make your choice easier. Avoid VW.

I'd be going with one of these:
Suburu WRX
Honda Civic
Honda Accord

With your situation.
I'd go with the Honda Accord.
Roomier then the Civic and it won't get me into trouble like the WRX .

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:11 AM
I am impressed with my g/f's 05 Accord LXSE coupe. Plenty of power from the 4 cylinder. Quiet. Solid.

I was not impressed with my g/f's 03 Civic EX coupe that she had before the Accord. Needed more power. FRAGILE paint. Always kinda felt like an economy car.

Consider a Toyota? Camry? Corolla XRS?
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:39 AM
yea if your looking for a family car id go with an accord, I own a GTI and its def not a family car, not big enough. The GLI is uber nice, but again compared to an accord in reliability and overall cost of maintenance its probably way higher than any honda.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:44 AM
4banger accord or civic sedans...they're cheap on gas and very reliable. just don't get one that's beat to hell.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:59 AM
good advice but yet again we both want a car thats fun to drive, now a slow car (hense base model civic) I know the GTI's are small but i love them always have wanted one and since this will be my car its kinda up to me. I can handle taking a 2yrl outa the back seat with a two door not a porblem at all she actually crawls outa the seat for me lol so the "room" isnt that bad. I know cost of parts and stuff will be higher for VW but i'm a big VW fan . Its such a hard choise to make i think over all i'd lean more towards the GLI or the WRX but we're still open to peoples ideas. If i did get a honda i think i would lean towards the accord. i just like the way they look more than the civic. PLus we already own a civic and wont be getting rid of that one
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:10 PM
The new Civics are awesome if you are looking for a 4 door...I would also consider a Corolla if I were you, due to the price and space.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:36 PM
consider the new legacy 2.5gt. It would definitely give you more room and the go go go.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:42 PM
After having my Outback through a winter & getting to drive it in snow, I'd go with the WRX off of your list or a Legacy as Effex mentioned, or any other Subaru for that matter. I felt so safe & it was fun for once to drive in the snow! I'm so won over by it that I plan on always owning a Subaru AWD vehicle. What about a WRX wagon? That would be so family friendly & fun at the same time! I can't speak for a WRX, but my Outback gets pretty much the same mileage as my Sunfire, can't complain at all.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:16 PM
lilblondegirl wrote:good advice but yet again we both want a car thats fun to drive, now a slow car (hense base model civic) I know the GTI's are small but i love them always have wanted one and since this will be my car its kinda up to me. I can handle taking a 2yrl outa the back seat with a two door not a porblem at all she actually crawls outa the seat for me lol so the "room" isnt that bad. I know cost of parts and stuff will be higher for VW but i'm a big VW fan . Its such a hard choise to make i think over all i'd lean more towards the GLI or the WRX but we're still open to peoples ideas. If i did get a honda i think i would lean towards the accord. i just like the way they look more than the civic. PLus we already own a civic and wont be getting rid of that one

If you want fun to drive. Try the Accord I-4 or V6 in Manual transmission. Honda makes one of THE best manual trannies in the automotive buisness and I guartantee you that it will be a lot more fun to drive then the comparible VW. Best of all you will not have the s-h-i-tty reliability of a VW.
And since you want fun to drive, WRX gets tied to the Accord. Advantage goes to the Accord being a lot more spacious. WRX advantage would be AWD.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:41 AM
GTI baby, all the friggin way.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:22 AM
Stay away from VW. The Accord would probably be your best bet. A little luxury and plenty of room for the whole family.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:46 AM
The WRX's still come with a stock glass transmission.

Look at a mini cooper and be sure to take $1000 with you for a deposit, you'll most likely end up buying one, those cars are like crack.

Also from what I've heard the new Yaris is a BLAST! to drive and you can get it in a hatch as well.

-Chris

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:25 AM
I got a 06 Subaru Imperza RS 2.5 for three days now, I really like the car. The front and rear seats are on a stiff side and there not much rear leg space. But I like get up and go, and the awd system for price $20,000.
I diff go for wrx if I had the extra $5 or $6 thousand for it .
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:37 AM
It depends on what you need. VW's are good cars, the problem is maintainance.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:53 AM
well our top of the list right now after some talking are as follows....

WRX
VW GLI
VW GTI
and the .....
Accord

thanks for all your advice guys!
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:43 AM
Depends on your price range.

Accord.

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:00 AM
I still think you should go for a Toyota product

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:19 PM
KavaLieR_GT wrote:It depends on what you need. VW's are good cars, the problem is maintainance.

@ VWs are good cars. And that whole last sentence sounds oxymoron.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:29 PM
I've had my VW Jetta 1.8T for a while now and have yet to have a problem out of it. It's a VERY fun car to drive, the turbo is percectly sized for the engine, and is just all around a great car. The problem with the VW is not that it's of poor quality, it's the fact that they are unlike most cars on the road today. The maintenance on the car is a lot different than my Honda was. It all just depends on how well you take care of a car. My has been meticulously maintained and has been a great car all the way around.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:37 PM
You are definitely in the small minority. ^
And that comment does not represt the majorty of VW in itself.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:20 PM
Hes right^^^. Everyone I know whos onwed a VW including myself has had problems with them. They are fun to drive and look great but maintenance can be costly. Go for the WRX or Accord. You cant go wrong with either of those two.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:35 PM
Quote:

I've had my VW Jetta 1.8T for a while now and have yet to have a problem out of it.

I've had my 1.8T 2003 Passat for almost two years now and I haven't had one problem with it yet, engine has 85K miles....Howeever, I am still going to purchase extra warranty once the one I have now runs out in a few months...

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:40 PM
I think you should go for a Toyota product.. The yaris are pretty cool.. And I like the looks of the new Corolla's too.

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - sold
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search