an interesting thought - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
an interesting thought
Friday, June 16, 2006 6:16 PM
my new neighbor claims her 02 beetle sport turbo 150 horse 162-torque is MUCH faster than a 2.4L ld9. i am not so convinced. i am curious to know what you guys think. taking in all the factors such as torque to rpm ratio and what not. let me know what you think

Re: an interesting thought
Friday, June 16, 2006 7:15 PM
I am pretty sure it is faster than a 2.4. I have rode in one and it was quick. If it is a manual trans with a good driver I bet it could brake into the 14s in the 1/4. A stock ld9 manual with a good driver runs a 15.8 roughly.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:56 PM
Its a Bettle Turbo S and they are 6-speed manual, they are nothing special but they are somewhat quick. I don't think a stock LD9 would beat a Turbo S but it wouldn't be MUCH faster

Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:54 AM
i don't think its a turbo s, just one of the one's badged "sport". Turbo S should be rated at 180 hp and i believe they were only 03 models. Should only have a 3.94:1 FDR 5 spd 02J trans.

Stock for stock, its a drivers race I think. My first time out with the bug stock yielded i think a 16.02 or something but eventually got that down to like a 15.5 before upping the boost and doing the exhaust... right in the same ballpark as an LD9.

Chip that sumbitch, and put a 2.5" turbo back on it though, and you're in for a hurtin

But, its only fair to say that this isn't a bench racing forum, and this post is probably gonna get locked. Race her and see, if she's too chicken to take it to the track and prove it than its a moot point. I would have said that right off the bat, but seeing as how the topic is close to my heart...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 17, 2006 11:25 AM
how about you race her for her sweet little ass.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:32 PM
is that the diesel motor? i would think it would be pretty close, walk all over i think not

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:12 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:is that the diesel motor? i would think it would be pretty close, walk all over i think not

no its not the diesel

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:15 PM
I know VW has diesel motors

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:59 AM
Did you know that they're badged as TDI, not turbo or sport, though?

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Sunday, June 18, 2006 3:07 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:I know VW has diesel motors

but that's like asking if someone's Cav has a V8...it just doesn't happen in that car.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Sunday, June 18, 2006 12:22 PM
lilbit01 wrote:

but that's like asking if someone's Cav has a V8...it just doesn't happen in that car.

most decently modded VW turbocharged diesel engines that ive seen put out like 135whp lol they come stock with 90bhp and thats the 1.9L verson lets not even get into the old 1.6L lol

basicly you dont want a VW diesel engine if you wanna drag race or probably any type of racing

the 1.8T is where its at for VW engines

Sunday, June 18, 2006 4:24 PM
lilbit01 wrote:

actually there are TDI beetles, but as GAM said they're badged TDI or not badged at all, Turbo or Sport badges go on 1.8t's only unless its dealer rice or consumer rice.

Quote:

I know VW has diesel motors

and i guess thats about all you know about VW

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, June 18, 2006 4:42 PM
^^^ Beat me to it.

There's also a FEW Golf TDI's that are made into Solo II type racers.

All in all, it's too bad that ONLY VW and Mercedes Benz/smart cars sell turbo diesels in cars in North America. Europeans have known that Diesels are cheaper and usually last longer with same amount of maintenance for ages...

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search