Radiator Issue? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radiator Issue?
Friday, June 16, 2006 8:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I have 1985 CRX. The radiator in the car has a crack near the top where you fill coolant. I noticed that recently the car has been running a lot hotter than normal. I shut it off before the car hits the red mark to keep it from overheating. Today I looked at it when it was running and saw steam escaping from the crack in the radiator. My question is will a new radiator solve this or is this an indication of a bigger problem, and the steam is just using the crack in the radiator as an escape hole?

Thanks

Re: Radiator Issue?
Friday, June 16, 2006 8:48 PM
I almost forgot to add, I do see some white smoke coming out the tail pipe every now and then, but nothing that makes a scene. The car does burn oil, so I think that is where that comes from.
Saturday, June 17, 2006 10:06 AM
if your radiator is cracked, you need a new one...... it doesn't get any simpler than that. You can't do any fancy patch up jobs, and don't buy that radiator stop junk in a can.

If your car burns oil, blue smoke would be coming from the tailpipe, signaling worn piston rings or valve guides/seals.

If your car burns coolant, white smoke would be coming from the tailpipe, signaling a bad head gasket

Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:58 PM
^yeah.

how the coolant system works is it keeps a pressure, if theres a open spot in the system there is no pressure.

-Borsty
Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:01 PM
i'd put some duct tape on it.

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:30 PM
Or a piece of bublegum..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - sold
Saturday, June 17, 2006 7:51 PM
if you need a little time to get money up to replace it , clean the crack with some brake cleaner , sand of scuff up both sides of the crack

and use some jb weld on it , and let it sit 24 hours before you drive it

but get it replaced asap , and clean and flush the coolant system , and put a new tstat in it

Sunday, June 18, 2006 6:39 PM
Thanks guys for your input.

I am not sure what I want to do with the car now. Mikedirntrulez has me a bit concerned that the head gasket might be bad. When the car is running, there is very thin white smoke coming out the tailpipe. I also noticed that there was some coolant at the bottom of the engine compartment the other day.

Its also a third car now, I just bought an 03 Wrangler (I've been waiting to get some pics, before I make a post about it) so it is kinda of a pain moving 3 vehicles around. Also I know the brake booster is going bad. It also has 347,XXX miles on it.

On the other hand it gets insanely good gas mileage, its fun to drive, and I know I will miss it when it is gone. So I don't really know what I should do with it. What do you guys think?
Sunday, June 18, 2006 9:28 PM
smell the exhaust , oil and coolant smell completely different

hondas are known for oil burning if the seals start to go

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search