The New Racecar!! lots of pics (56K iffy) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The New Racecar!! lots of pics (56K iffy)
Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:02 PM
Well guys, my family has been in drag racing since before i was born.

For those that haven't seen or don't remember, here's the list of cars my dad (and myself to a lesser extent) have had over the years.

The Vega:

The Monte Carlo:

The Roadster (still own):

Now, its finally my turn. My younger brother and I acquired an 88 camaro for free. we're going to make it an NHRA legal super stock car. its going to be good stuff.

here's the pics of what we're starting off with...

yes, that WAS a V6! still runs too!

Of course, its getting a complete overhaul. we're puttin in a 10 point rollcage, probably a custom rearend, a T400 trans, and a 350 small block built to high hell (haven't started looking into specs for the motor yet). We are toying with the possibility of a 383 or maybe even a 396, but it'll depend on how easily we can get our hands on one.

suspension is going to stay pretty much stock in the front for a while. racing struts and springs will be about it. EVENTUALLY we'll get into a complete front end kit that comes with everything you need to rebuild the suspension...but not yet.

the rear end is getting a lot done to it...(5 minutes later)...i'll have to get all the information for you guys later cuz i can't seem to find the book with all the stuff we're putting in.

anyways, it'll be pretty cool. we're going to start off running low 12's to high 11's at around 115-120mph until my brother gets comfortable. he's never drive any of the racecars. i drove the vega to 10.20 E.T. at 142MPH so i'm good to go.

it should be fun, i can't wait to start installing stuff.

GO PATS!!!

Re: The New Racecar!! lots of pics (56K iffy)
Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:11 PM
i cant wait to debut what a friend and I are doing to my 87 trans am its gonna be great.

Keep us updated i love watching these builds

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:22 PM
yea i'll do my best to update. we're going to be taking pictures of everything. my brother is in his final stages of becoming a certified welder so we're pretyt much going to use this car as like a portfolio for him to take on job interviews and stfff.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:19 PM
i wish i had my vega back , that was the best car ive owned , and it even had the stock 4cyl in it , with some bolt ons

Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:52 PM
u already knew what i would think before you made this post

-Borsty
Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:18 PM
so there's gonna be a big block and a turbo involved here somewhere right?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:26 PM
i'm pushing really really hard for the spare block for the roadster (also a 496) but we're afraid of what it'd cost to build the car to handle it. i've also got a already built 402 that i'm trying to take of a friends hands...

yes bortsy, i knew you'd drool. you and steve are welcome to come over and put in wrench time (although steve REALLY sucks at coming over when he says he's going to).

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, June 17, 2006 10:08 PM
nice man i like all the drag cars you and your dad have built, im shure the new one will be just as hot

Sunday, June 18, 2006 6:37 AM
Good car to start with. Stick with the SBC. Who needs a big block =P

Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:25 PM
I say boost the small block on a GT30 Dual BB! Yea, boost on v8's are my passion!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Sunday, June 18, 2006 4:44 PM
i'd love boost, or maybe even a shot of nitrous...but we're looking for low budget. remember, this is being funder by my little brother and myself.

GO PATS!!!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 5:25 PM
Big power and low budget don't really mix. You want big power but cant go for a shot of nitrous? A decent nitrous kit wont cost an outrageous amount and is going to be the biggest power gain per dollar you can get.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 5:55 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]i wish i had my vega back , that was the best car ive owned , and it even had the stock 4cyl in it , with some bolt ons

Hahaha I am with you on that!!!
My father had Silver 1976 Chevy Vega with 3-speed manual and the 2.3L Duratec. In 1997 he sold it. Does he/we ever regret selling it!!!!
The car's chassis and every thing was mint except for the seats. As we look back we wish we would have put a LS1 or modify a Quad-4 W41 in there.
Huge mistake we did!

BTW.... love the Vega man!!!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, June 18, 2006 6:25 PM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:Big power and low budget don't really mix. You want big power but cant go for a shot of nitrous? A decent nitrous kit wont cost an outrageous amount and is going to be the biggest power gain per dollar you can get.

big power and low budget can mix if you know the right people (which we do). a turbo is a little out of reach because i have nobody that deals with turbos (selling or tuning). i'm not avoiding nitrous due to the cost, my brother and i aren't sure if we want to dabble in it.

as i said, my family (dad in particular) has been in racing forever. when you know a lot of racers, and when a lot of racers know you're starting a project, you pretty much have parts being thrown at you. i have 2 motors (the already built 402, and my dad's half built 496) that we are looking at, both with an extremely low price tag (dad will pretty much give us the motor and we just have to finish it). i've also got the 350 option with a large amount of parts for cheap too.

we have a lot of options, we're trying to get the car to roller stage before we worry about an engine for it...

GO PATS!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search