StabiliTrak will be standard on GM vehicles - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
StabiliTrak will be standard on GM vehicles
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:58 AM
New Study Confirms GM Commitment to StabiliTrak

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche First Pickup with Standard Electronic Stability Control

General Motors’ commitment to make electronic stability control standard on all GM cars and trucks sold to retail cus tomers in the U.S. and Canada by the end of the decade is supported by a new study that says the lifesaving benefits are greater than shown by earlier studies.

Electronic stability control (ESC), branded as StabiliTrak on GM cars and trucks, is designed to help drivers retain control of their vehicles during high-speed maneuvers or on slippery roads.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), in a study released Tuesday, says an update of its 2004 study into the effectiveness of ESC shows:

-A reduction in single vehicle crashes by more than 40 percent and fatal crashes by 56 percent
-As many as 10,000 fatal crashes could be avoided each year if all vehicles were equipped with ESC.
-An 80 percent reduction in the risk of fatal single vehicle rollovers of SUVs.

GM, which was the first au tom aker to make ESC standard on its full-size sport-utility vehicles, announced in January 2005 that it would make ESC standard on all GM cars and trucks sold to retail cus tomers by the end of 2010.

StabiliTrak is standard or available on 45 percent of GM vehicles today – 40 models for the 2006 model year and 43 for the 2007 model year, including the 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, which is now arriving in dealerships. The Avalanche is the first full-size pickup truck in the industry standard with StabiliTrak.

“The results of the new study are further confirmation of our decision to make this lifesaving technology standard,” said Bob Lange, GM executive director of Structure and Safety Integration. “General Motors first studied the potential for StabiliTrak in the mid-1990s and every study since has added to the evidence of its enormous safety benefits.”

The 1997 Cadillac DeVille was among the first cars to have ESC, and the 2002 Cadillac Escalade was the first SUV in the industry with standard ESC.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: StabiliTrak will be standard on GM vehicles
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:13 AM
bbbboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i live in the desert , and dont need it , just gimmie track control and abs , and a off/on switch and im good

stabili-trac , i want a off/on button

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:51 PM
yeah I just hope it has an off button
Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:25 PM
Yes stabilitrak can be disabled. Usually a button in the glove box I think.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Friday, June 16, 2006 12:00 PM
i waqnt it by the shifter like my alero's traction control (which i hate)

Friday, June 16, 2006 4:24 PM
Well, on the Corvette C5, C6, CTS-V (all of which has a more advance version of Stabilitrak) it has Trac on/off, then hold the Trac button for 5 secs and "Competition Mode" appears. Here Traction Control and Stabilitrak is off and you are only left with ABS.
Trust me, on my old Z06, Stabilitrak does not interfere as badly as the other cars. This system lets you "drive" and still have fun.
As for "Competition Mode," well it is pure fun if you like to drift.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:56 PM
yeah , but the vette is the top dog , so GM treats it alot differently

and out of all the drive by wire car and trucks , the vette has near instant throttle response , the other all lag , which is why i hate all that crap

plus not having a cable or some kind of mechanical tie to the tb , you loose road feel , when driving on the edge

Friday, June 16, 2006 6:16 PM
GM cars do not have a lazy response. Infact their computers react instantaneous to the driver's command. The only car company I can say has a lazy electronic throttle is Mercedes Benz (non AMG models).
Now to some, some GM cars feels slow and people blame it instantly on the electronic throttle, but in fact there are other factors to them feeling slow and one huge factor is weight. Solstice, Cobalts, Sky, are all porkers but have superb tb response, it's that mass is to much for the engine, hence why they feel slow. And on some (like 2.4L Eco) you have to rev the crap out of them to extract the power, which also is included in the lazy feel.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, June 16, 2006 8:01 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:GM cars do not have a lazy response. Infact their computers react instantaneous to the driver's command. The only car company I can say has a lazy electronic throttle is Mercedes Benz (non AMG models).
Now to some, some GM cars feels slow and people blame it instantly on the electronic throttle, but in fact there are other factors to them feeling slow and one huge factor is weight. Solstice, Cobalts, Sky, are all porkers but have superb tb response, it's that mass is to much for the engine, hence why they feel slow. And on some (like 2.4L Eco) you have to rev the crap out of them to extract the power, which also is included in the lazy feel.

I have to disagree with you.. My Ion is DBW.. and it's the only thing I hate about the car so far. It's like you mash the gas pedal, and the car does nothing for like half a second.. Then all of a sudden it takes off... Also test drove an Ion with the 5 speed.. Same thing.. Also noticed when you push in the clutch, the rev's would stay up for half a second, but that might be caused by a heavy flywheel, not dbw.. I just don't understand why GM and other companies use sensors, switches, and computers just to replace a single piece of wire? And the wire is still much more accurate.. Very strange.

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - sold
Friday, June 16, 2006 9:58 PM
lone_wolf wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:GM cars do not have a lazy response. Infact their computers react instantaneous to the driver's command. The only car company I can say has a lazy electronic throttle is Mercedes Benz (non AMG models).

I have to disagree with you.. My Ion is DBW.. and it's the only thing I hate about the car so far It's like you mash the gas pedal, and the car does nothing for like half a second.. Then all of a sudden it takes off... Also test drove an Ion with the 5 speed.. Same thing.. Also noticed when you push in the clutch, the rev's would stay up for half a second, but that might be caused by a heavy flywheel, not dbw.. I just don't understand why GM and other companies use sensors, switches, and computers just to replace a single piece of wire? And the wire is still much more accurate.. Very strange.

(Dry weight)2866lbs + 140HP= Do you actually think the car will feel light on it's feet? Do the math.
Do you know realize how quick GM processor's are? They use a 32bit system (very quick by automotive standards) that react to driver's input in 0.001 of a sec. It is the same system used on all of GM's cars and trucks. I had it on my Z06, and it was to sensitive, what helps with me, is that the car had 405HP and it weighed in at 3160lbs.
What you are feeling is exactly what 350lbs linebacker at a sprint race does. Slow at initial start, but once momentum is on a roll then it moves forward.
Or it could be you just forgot to turn Traction Control off.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:09 AM
when i test drove the sky , i made a right hand turn , about 25-30 mph , i didnt want to smoke the tire , but i wanted to accel coming out of the turn , i went from about 30-40% throttle to full , and the car didnt accelorate tell it straightened up

also a normal car will do a decent burn out iff you dump the clutch at 5500 , and it would barely trun them before it bogged

ive driven my cav with the s/c , with 4 adults , and driven the redline , and the cobalt ss/sc and mine still had night and day difference in the responce , and my cav only dyno'd at 186whp and 175wtq

and there was only me in the redline , and me and salesman in the cobalt

and the redline is driven on the hard side , and the cobalt was new , and there is a slight difference

throttle response on all models ive driven with drive by wire respond alot slower than vette , i have driven a 05-06 gto , so i cant comment on them

as i said the vette is GM's most prized position , soif they delayed the resonse as bad as they did on the other cars , they woud have millions of complants in less than a week

Saturday, June 17, 2006 6:35 AM
trac control, abs, and stability control all suck.

-Borsty
Saturday, June 17, 2006 7:54 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]when i test drove the sky , i made a right hand turn , about 25-30 mph , i didnt want to smoke the tire , but i wanted to accel coming out of the turn , i went from about 30-40% throttle to full , and the car didnt accelorate tell it straightened up

also a normal car will do a decent burn out iff you dump the clutch at 5500 , and it would barely trun them before it bogged

ive driven my cav with the s/c , with 4 adults , and driven the redline , and the cobalt ss/sc and mine still had night and day difference in the responce , and my cav only dyno'd at 186whp and 175wtq

and the redline is driven on the hard side , and the cobalt was new , and there is a slight difference

throttle response on all models ive driven with drive by wire respond alot slower than vette , i have driven a 05-06 gto , so i cant comment on them

as i said the vette is GM's most prized position , soif they delayed the resonse as bad as they did on the other cars , they woud have millions of complants in less than a week

The new solstice/sky and I think the 2.4ss cobalts have some form of torque management built into the computer, its usualy tuned out after a PCM reflash. Its usualy the main thing people notice, no more bogging and better responce to the throttle. Its on the new vettes too including the Z06, A really good driver (IE 11.30s @ 127 STOCK!) on the vette forums has a couple threads about driving around TM at the strip on both stock tires and drag radials. Its also possible that the computer might have some sort of break in mode for the first 1000 miles er so? Thats only a rumor but would make sence to an OEM saving drivetrain warranties right off the bat.

I personaly have pretty much hated the few vehicles ive driven from GM with fly by wire throttle. It does delay responce coming off a corner and makes cars bog after a fast shift. It also seemed rather inconsistant, sometimes you would get on the gas expecting it to be soft and get a burst of acceleration, other times you realy wanted it to go and it would say "eh, when im ready damnit." A few other companies FBW setups are ok, M3s for example are almost too touchy in sport mode.

Ill keep my throttle cable for now thank you.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:35 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]when i test drove the sky , i made a right hand turn , about 25-30 mph , i didnt want to smoke the tire , but i wanted to accel coming out of the turn , i went from about 30-40% throttle to full , and the car didnt accelorate tell it straightened up

I am reading about..... corners and the car won't accelerate etc, etc, etc because of the lazy E-TB. First, the system's E-TB DOES NOT work with with steering input it has no clue if you are taking corners hard or not. The cars that has that works in coordination with some sort of stability control and the cars that offer that are cars that cost $40K and up. Not your run of the mill econobox or low-end sports car.

I am not going to discuss on your experience with the RL and SS as I don't know if you are saying things for the sake of it. But one thing is for sure, they are not "light on its feet."

As for Corvette, lol THEY ALL USE THE SAME COMPUTERS!!!! The reason Vettes feel livelier is because you got 3150lbs car with 400+ HP/TQ (ie more engine then what it needs.) How the hell can you compare that^ with a car that has 205HP and the car weighs in at 3000-2950 lbs(SS& RL) or with 177HP with a car that weighs in at 2890-2960lbs (Solstice & Sky).

Cavfan1 wrote:
The new solstice/sky and I think the 2.4ss cobalts have some form of torque management built into the computer, its usualy tuned out after a PCM reflash. Its usualy the main thing people notice, no more bogging and better responce to the throttle. Its on the new vettes too including the Z06, A really good driver (IE 11.30s @ 127 STOCK!) on the vette forums has a couple threads about driving around TM at the strip on both stock tires and drag radials. Its also possible that the computer might have some sort of break in mode for the first 1000 miles er so? Thats only a rumor but would make sence to an OEM saving drivetrain warranties right off the bat.

I personaly have pretty much hated the few vehicles ive driven from GM with fly by wire throttle. It does delay responce coming off a corner and makes cars bog after a fast shift. It also seemed rather inconsistant, sometimes you would get on the gas expecting it to be soft and get a burst of acceleration, other times you realy wanted it to go and it would say "eh, when im ready damnit." A few other companies FBW setups are ok, M3s for example are almost too touchy in sport mode.
Ill keep my throttle cable for now thank you.

Everything that you have described are the effects of cars that has some sort of Electronic Stability Management and/or Traction Control.

If you really want to see a slow throttle response jump in to some high end German cars and accelerate the car in neutral. Blip the throttle, then jump out to the back of the car and by the time you get where the tailpipe is at, the car is still revving and eventually winds down......... Now that is what you call lazy throttle response!

From the looks of it, it is all psychological... You hear "ETB".....op-- instant crap! lol Trust me, there are many other factors as to why the car feels or is slow.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, June 17, 2006 10:54 AM
ive driven a high end benz , gotta love a car that stumble accross a intersection , lol

im not sure if you remember when the C6 first came out people talking about the tracion control not shutting off completely

gm can do anything in the programing , and if they program in a delay(so to speak) to keep power down , to prevent driveline damage , just like they did with the auto trans cars having a 4,000 rpm limiter out of gear , now with ETB they can just program in a delay from your foot to the tb to do the same thing

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search