HONDA VTEC someone explain this...... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HONDA VTEC someone explain this......
Sunday, June 11, 2006 9:23 PM
hey guys....... welll I know im just awaiting to be flamed on this one, but............ can someone with a good knowledge explain VTEC??? i Know its variable timed exhaust camshaft........

But I was trying to explain to my buddy that it was an actual meaning behind it and you can actually hear it and thats when honda reaches its powerband.....

he thought ecotec was just a name, just like vtec........

anyways....... does anyone know much about it??
besides which models it comes on

Re: HONDA VTEC someone explain this......
Sunday, June 11, 2006 9:38 PM
Sunday, June 11, 2006 10:23 PM
VTEC is just a way for people with Civic's to say they are the fastest street racer in the world, 0mfg!

Can't believe you didn't know that?
Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:04 PM
clear
indication
vtec
is
crap

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - sold
Monday, June 12, 2006 4:46 AM
its not Vtec its Vtak. i would explain this technology but Upstate has already posted a link that sums it up.

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:53 AM
i could explain but this is easier.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/vtec/5/33AFEA46-D732-479C-A4AB-22E74118BB4A.htm

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Monday, June 12, 2006 6:54 AM
Honda ricers wrote:Get a CAI so your VTEC will spool up quicker

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Monday, June 12, 2006 11:27 AM
lone_wolf wrote:clear
indication
vtec
is
crap

?

its one of the reasons that youll never see a built all motor cav beat a built all motor honda.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Monday, June 12, 2006 11:51 AM
^^^Ouch...how hurtfull!

ECOTEC now with Maximum Bolt-Ons!!
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:23 PM
Jcavi wrote:its one of the reasons that youll never see a built all motor cav beat a built all motor honda.

It also helps that Hondas weigh as much as a go kart.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:31 PM
Jcavi wrote:its one of the reasons that youll never see a built all motor cav beat a built all motor honda.

Hmm, Really ? Wasn't GM getting like 600 some out of them with out forced induction ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:19 PM
Jackalope wrote:

Hmm, Really ? Wasn't GM getting like 600 some out of them with out forced induction ?

I hope your joking

allllllll mmoooootttttoooorrrrrrr

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:23 PM
B-series swaps are almost as popular as LSx swaps.

That makes baby jesus cry.

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Monday, June 12, 2006 1:24 PM
REDGOTE wrote:

It also helps that Hondas weigh as much as a go kart.

Rob

very true

but if you want to talk stricly numbers

1.6 honda using vtec has more power poteinatl then the eco because of the V tec

its like adding a second set of cams at High rpms you just cant touch it with a solid cam.

now if you start working with the 2.4 thats another story. I really want to see someone start working on the 2.4

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:24 PM
edit

2.4 vvt eco

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:40 PM
Nope, not joking. Didn't GM get the ECO up into the 500 or 600 hp area before the compression was too much and they kept blowing engines?

Damnit ! I can't find the article anymore on the whole build up of the ECO that GM did giving the HP levels the reached with what parts and where the parts let go at. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Monday, June 12, 2006 1:58 PM
Jackalope wrote:Nope, not joking. Didn't GM get the ECO up into the 500 or 600 hp area before the compression was too much and they kept blowing engines?

Damnit ! I can't find the article anymore on the whole build up of the ECO that GM did giving the HP levels the reached with what parts and where the parts let go at. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

wow, where do I start

first off the fastest most worked 4 cyl in the WORLD is the skunk 2 racing all motor vtec monster it makes 350 WHP and runs 9's

now notice how I said 350 thats becasuse it is damn near impossiable to make much more on a naturaly aspirated motor. theres just not enough displacement in a small little 2.2 to pull in enough air.

it all comes down to VE or volumetric efficeny. this is the amount of power you can make with a given displacement. 100 percent efficeny in most cases is the maximum amount of power the motor should be able to make. it is possiable for motors to make more then this but they need to be siruosly modifed, or make boost.

disclamer: I might have butcered a few facts but I will stake my car on the fact that no eco is making 600 hp NA

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:02 PM
Jackalope wrote:Nope, not joking. Didn't GM get the ECO up into the 500 or 600 hp area before the compression was too much and they kept blowing engines?

ok I just figured out what your talking about.

its the gm build book and there using turbos and superchargers thats forced induction. we are talking about all motor that means no power adders no nitrous no nothing. just the vacum the the pistons make.....or the spining triangles for you RX losers .

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:12 PM
wow, i think jack's been hitting teh sauce again.... wake up buddy.... NATURALLY ASPIRATED!!! Of course, Skunk2's car's run on meth or some other alcohol based fuel I believe, so you'd never be getting numbers like that on a street honda motor, but I do have to say that until GM gets a VVT system that can also change cam lift like VTEC does, that the honda motor will win if both engines are built to the max.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, June 12, 2006 2:16 PM
whew. I saw your name on the recent post list and I started to get worried.

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:23 PM
NO NO NO NO I know what you guys are talking about I'm refering to BEFORE GM put the turbo to it. Before they
turboed it they tried like 14 to 1 or something and nitro methaine. Seriously ! Damn I wish I could remember the link !

And come on guys ! I do know what N/A means ! LOL!!!!!!

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:28 PM
listen I dont know what I have to tell you for you to belive me. YOU CANT MAKE 400 HP FROM AN NA ECO

end of story

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:34 PM
NJHK before he left made a very in detail post about what it is/does

30 sec search found it

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=47&i=37611&t=37022#37611

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:42 PM
I've worked on 300 + HP, GM OHV 4 Cyl motors.

Of course these were the now defunct NASCAR Goody's Dash cars, before they went to V6s. 175 cid, 14:1 CR, 8400 rpm and roller cam, but run with a 350cfm Holley 2 bbl carb. With the 2300lbs weight and the Goodyear racing slicks, they were as fast as most Late Model race cars! At Daytona, they'd run 184mph laps average, with a restictor plate!
Sitting in the middle of the track during one of those races, sounded like sitting in the middle of swam of PO'ed monster bees!

Monday, June 12, 2006 3:37 PM
Jcavi wrote:listen I dont know what I have to tell you for you to belive me. YOU CANT MAKE 400 HP FROM AN NA ECO

end of story

This always has, and always will be a question of money. I highly doubt in your (or mine for that matter) 20 years in any position to say what can and can't be done with an ecotec, considering the motor has only been in the wild for what? 3.5 years now? If MadJack has worked on 300 hp OHV engines... I would think you could crank out more from the eco.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search