91 Eclipse GSX ?'s - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
91 Eclipse GSX ?'s
Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:14 PM
Hi,

I am buying a 91 eclipse 5spd. turbo gsx awd for $500.00, it has a rebuilt turbo & a rebuilt head that has about 10,000 miles on it. but it needs a radiator and a hood(it got backed into at a store a few days ago) i work at a body shop so thats not a problem. also car is very solid it came from Florida this spring.

my questions are is this a good car to mod? also what are some things i need to know about this car. also as far as performance goes what is it comparable to? what is the approx. power output?

btw. i know zero, zip, zilch about the eclipse/talons & turbos

thanks again

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.

Re: 91 Eclipse GSX ?'s
Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:20 PM
If I were you, I'd buy, fix it cosmetically, do a couple basic mods, have some fun with it and resell it after a couple months. You could make a decent profit.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:07 PM
Good Place To Visit

The Few, The Proud, The 2.3s
Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:09 PM
DSMtuners Website

I have no idea how I managed to screw that up, sorry.

The Few, The Proud, The 2.3s
Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:10 PM
^^^^A very decent profit! All in all they are good cars, but like any other turbo vehicle it is an attention car. By that I mean when it is time to do something (mantinence wise), DO IT! The cars are notorious for the timing belt breaking if not changed around every 60k-75k. REGULAR MANTINENCE!!!!!! Can't stress that enough!

-Brandon

Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:58 PM
redecocav wrote:^^^^A very decent profit! All in all they are good cars, but like any other turbo vehicle it is an attention car. By that I mean when it is time to do something (mantinence wise), DO IT! The cars are notorious for the timing belt breaking if not changed around every 60k-75k. REGULAR MANTINENCE!!!!!! Can't stress that enough!

thank you & thats good to know, i have some aem cam gears for it that a friend of mine gave me so i will change the belt when i do the cam gears and do a tune-up on it

Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:20 PM
stock it has 195 hp. you should be able to get around 240-250hp by just doing a 3 inch turbo back and a manual boost controller and removing the cover on the filter. some other simple mods are upper intercooler pipe, 2g exhaust manifold and eprom chip (if you have an eprom ecu).
Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:41 PM
Effex Unlimited wrote:stock it has 195 hp. you should be able to get around 240-250hp by just doing a 3 inch turbo back and a manual boost controller and removing the cover on the filter. some other simple mods are upper intercooler pipe, 2g exhaust manifold and eprom chip (if you have an eprom ecu).

you wont gain that much power from those mods. but they are a good start. i wouldnt put a boost controller on without a aftermarket boost guage though. they respond awesome to mods. my buddy went 13.2 with just an afc and exhaust at my elevation.
Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:22 PM
You will hear time and time again that they are VERY unreliable. Which is true and un-true.

Un true being they are pretty reliable as well as you treat them good and take care of them. However, 99.99% of the time that is not the case. People usually get them and dont do the regular maintenance those cars need and beat on them. So you get them and they are POS's and unreliable.

They dont handle neglect as well as most cars would I think is a better way to put it.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:02 PM
grab it up dude

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, June 09, 2006 11:45 AM
id def pick it up for 500... once i get my @!#$ str8 i will own another TSi...

-----------
ayo 8 Iz Enuff

Friday, June 09, 2006 2:21 PM
dsmtalk.com
dsmtuners.com
vfaq.com
roadraceengineering.com

those are a couple sites that i would look into.

ive owned two dsms in my time so far and had many great times with them as well as many horrible times.

i'm baaaaack!!
Saturday, June 10, 2006 9:12 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:grab it up dude

i plan on it! lol

.kURt. wrote:dsmtalk.com
dsmtuners.com
vfaq.com
roadraceengineering.com

those are a couple sites that i would look into.

ive owned two dsms in my time so far and had many great times with them as well as many horrible times.

thanks

Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:00 PM
id get it if i had the chance.

Sunday, June 11, 2006 4:52 PM
I was going to pick one of these up a while back for a grand, and I thought that was a good deal, but it was gone before I got to it. It was putting down around 300hp at the wheels with minor mods.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:50 AM
Great cars, very expensive to fix. Everyone who said maintanence is key was bang on the money. Don't get lazy with this car or it will eventually grenade. They can be made into very quick machines with the fastest street driven ones now pulling 9s. Of course they are a pain to drive on the street at that power level but it can be done. There are at least 3 out there making over 800HP.

That said, to get to that level will cost the price of a small house. Getting into the 12s and 13s is far more common and a lot more affordable. They respond well to mods espetially intake, turbo and exhaust, just don't forget to supply the fuel. The stock bottom end is good to at least 400hp most say 450hp before needing to do anything major.

Before driving it make sure the transfer case is in good shape, run great fluids (I use full synth in everything), change the oil often and the car will love you for it.

On my 1G (90 to 94) I had an issue with the front rotors warping on hot days in heavy traffic. One good hard stop and bang, done rotors. My 2G does not have that problem. There are break upgrades out there, maybe you should consider them. Afterall, stopping is just as important as going if you want to stay alive.

PAX
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:39 PM
Hahahaha wrote:They respond well to mods espetially intake, turbo upgrade and exhaust, just don't forget to supply the fuel.

Fixed that for you!

-Brandon

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search