Dad got a 1986 300ZX - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dad got a 1986 300ZX
Monday, June 05, 2006 2:50 AM
Dad needed a decent car since our Daytona crapped out so he picked it up from a co-worker for $1250. I don't have any pics at the moment but I'll try to get some. Any problems with these cars? It's non-turbo 5spd with a new battery and alternator but there's a clunking coming from one of the rear suspensions. Any help would be appreciated.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Re: Dad got a 1986 300ZX
Monday, June 05, 2006 6:16 AM
A 300ZX for $1250? Sounds nice. Those are hot cars.

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Monday, June 05, 2006 7:40 AM
the 80s are not hot cars lol

theres slow as balls for being advertised as a sports car

and that clunking sound is just one of the major problems those cars have

springs suck ass on those cars good luck finding new ones

PPPSSSS!!!! MMMMMmmmMMM boost=yummy

Monday, June 05, 2006 10:35 AM
Good luck finding mods for it.

Good luck winning races with it

Good luck restoring it

Good luck finding any parts that aren't maintenance parts (water pumps, belts, hoses, etc)

Good luck working on it

However, my g/f had one and it was a fun car, but I would never want one again. The talking voice was the coolest part (*boop* your lights are on) (*boop* right door is open). If you have the one with the voice, then that's just sweet. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Monday, June 05, 2006 10:43 AM
I'm not sure if his has the voice or not. He's not looking to mod it or anything, he just wants a reliable car to drive. If I ever get it then it'll probably get lightly modded.

Monday, June 05, 2006 9:32 PM
Mikedirntrulez wrote:Good luck finding mods for it.

Good luck restoring it

Good luck finding any parts that aren't maintenance parts (water pumps, belts, hoses, etc)

Good luck working on it

However, my g/f had one and it was a fun car, but I would never want one again. The talking voice was the coolest part (*boop* your lights are on) (*boop* right door is open). If you have the one with the voice, then that's just sweet. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Good luck winning races with it? You have a 170HP stock V8 Camaro... The 1986 300zx is a straight 6 with about 160HP... Not like you have much room to talk there skippy.

Had to change sig because some dickhead is mad it went 1 letter over size
Monday, June 05, 2006 10:00 PM
Evil Monkey(cavrs97) wrote:

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

Good luck winning races with it? You have a 170HP stock V8 Camaro... The 1986 300zx is a straight 6 with about 160HP... Not like you have much room to talk there skippy.

a) He didn't say his car was much faster.
b) Your car only has 180hp, not much more room to talk than him
c) No one likes you yet, you can go away for another while

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:09 PM
SpcmnSpff302 (The Link Master) wrote:

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

Wune: Bork Bork Bork!!!!
Tewe: Igne Vedde hugew, inde byde vin.
Treye: Ig vende bar wom. Du isde der bigu BORK!!!

Oooh... Oxycontin... it's not just for Good ol' boy Republican blowhards anymore!

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:30 PM

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

I wasn't mentioning my car in general.. But sure you can mention my car really I don't mind.. I always love hearing the @!#$ from kids on this site who joined what a year ago? I've been on here for quite a few years I just don't post because we have a local site.. Now go stick your head in a oven =)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:21 AM

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

hahahahaha

can somebody say owned?

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:22 AM

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

You lose again, it's a v6..... huge difference.

tool.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:36 AM

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

I wasn't mentioning my car in general.. But sure you can mention my car really I don't mind.. I always love hearing the @!#$ from kids on this site who joined what a year ago? I've been on here for quite a few years I just don't post because we have a local site.. Now go stick your head in a oven =)

Mike wasn't mentioning his car in general either, you brought it in. And it funny you love hearing @!#$, cause I just love giving it to you. Especially since...you know...the date we joined JBO really makes a difference about how much of an idiot you are, and my right to make fun of you.

Stick my head in an oven? Seriously, that's the best you had? You would have done better with something like "You are the weakest link. Goodbye!"

GAM: Translation? I tried a couple online Swedish translators, nothing came up. Is that actual Swedish, or an purely Oxycotin masterpiece?

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:17 PM
Mikedirntrulez wrote:

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

You lose again, it's a v6..... huge difference.

tool.

The 300zx was not a V6..... it was a straight 6... Now why don't you go back to eating crayons and playing with legos...

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:19 PM

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

Mike wasn't mentioning his car in general either, you brought it in. And it funny you love hearing @!#$, cause I just love giving it to you. Especially since...you know...the date we joined JBO really makes a difference about how much of an idiot you are, and my right to make fun of you.

Stick my head in an oven? Seriously, that's the best you had? You would have done better with something like "You are the weakest link. Goodbye!"

GAM: Translation? I tried a couple online Swedish translators, nothing came up. Is that actual Swedish, or an purely Oxycotin masterpiece?

<sigh> I love how idiots travel in packs of 3... I guess that way they can form atleast almost a complete thought and come up with a decent insult.. It's always great to see retards standing up for there friends who make a retarded comment trying to be cool on a message board.. Now just quiet down kid I'm sorry if I made your friend cry but to be quite honest you're friend is a tool and should of been shot the day after he was born. =)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:39 PM

Good luck restoring it

Good luck working on it

<sigh> I love how idiots travel in packs of 3... I guess that way they can form atleast almost a complete thought and come up with a decent insult.. It's always great to see retards standing up for there friends who make a retarded comment trying to be cool on a message board.. Now just quiet down kid I'm sorry if I made your friend cry but to be quite honest you're friend is a tool and should of been shot the day after he was born. =)

Packs of 3? Me...maybe Mikedirntrules...and who? GAM? I'm pretty sure, reading the posts, each of us were able to come up with our own unique, coherent thoughts (something you still have yet to accomplish. Go back and read one of your posts, and tell me you can find a complete, coherent, well typed out idea anywhere).

I don't think I've ever had a conversation with Mike, so I don't really know about "standing up for friends". And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you saying his Camaro is slow didn't make him cry. And I don't know where you came up with "tool and should of been shot the day after he was born", as he seems like a cool, level headed guy from what I've seen on the forum. Unlike a specific Tiburon owner I'm thinking of (Hint: It's you!)

My turn to throw in some lame insults at the end:

Do you know how to read? Judging from most of your replies, I'd have to venture a "no".

And, your mom's a whore.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:53 PM
Wow... Considering it'll probably not see a race track for some time this thread has really just gone down hill. And the car is a V6, should have mentioned that at the start. An update on the clunking, it looks like one of the bushings is bad on the passenger side so hopefully when he replaces it things'll feel better.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:09 PM
Evil Monkey(cavrs97) wrote:The 300zx was not a V6..... it was a straight 6... Now why don't you go back to eating crayons and playing with legos...

James Larsen wrote:...the car is a V6, should have mentioned that at the start...

Methinks someone should go back to eating crayons and playing with legos. (Another Hint: Evil Monkey, it's you!)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:36 PM
The 300zx was not a V6..... it was a straight 6... Now why don't you go back to eating crayons and playing with legos...

I really think your ignorance has been proven immensely and you should just leave this thread now before you make yourself look like more of an idiot.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:40 PM
WTF. Ok I have owned 2 of them and they are NOT bad cars.

The N/As can be made fast for so cheap. Swap a tb off a 89ish 240. with your stock one. Its like a 5mm bigger. Remove the air regulator, and you can take the Rpm way into the 9k if you want. I could do 45 in first gear, with one hell of a launch. Just putting the Auto rear end with the 5 speed trans changes you gearing and drops you about 4 tenths of a second.

Plus the Turbo model was only 200hp non intercooled. running in the low 14s. Just putting an intercooler on it drops you into the low 13s.. Replace the small T3 with a better flowing T3 and turn up the boost 3 psi, and your in the 12s.

I love when people say this and that about a car when they are only going on there opinion..

Yes parts at a part store may be a little tough. but so what. ohh and Take it to your local Dealer ship. There was a huge RECALL on them for the fuel systems on all models. Most people never took them back cause it wasn't that big of a deal then. But if yours has never had the Recall done, then you are still eligible to have it done.. Nissan put $1500.00 worth of New Fuel System components in my 85 2 years ago. lol New pump, rails, injectors, regulators. Baiscly the whole system.. They have to still do it by law. Don't let them Bs you. There was a site you could enter your vin to see if it was done. I cant remember what it was though.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:57 PM
KEN 2.2 wrote:WTF. Ok I have owned 2 of them and they are NOT bad cars.

The N/As can be made fast for so cheap. Swap a tb off a 89ish 240. with your stock one. Its like a 5mm bigger. Remove the air regulator, and you can take the Rpm way into the 9k if you want. I could do 45 in first gear, with one hell of a launch. Just putting the Auto rear end with the 5 speed trans changes you gearing and drops you about 4 tenths of a second.

Plus the Turbo model was only 200hp non intercooled. running in the low 14s. Just putting an intercooler on it drops you into the low 13s.. Replace the small T3 with a better flowing T3 and turn up the boost 3 psi, and your in the 12s.

I love when people say this and that about a car when they are only going on there opinion..

Yes parts at a part store may be a little tough. but so what. ohh and Take it to your local Dealer ship. There was a huge RECALL on them for the fuel systems on all models. Most people never took them back cause it wasn't that big of a deal then. But if yours has never had the Recall done, then you are still eligible to have it done.. Nissan put $1500.00 worth of New Fuel System components in my 85 2 years ago. lol New pump, rails, injectors, regulators. Baiscly the whole system.. They have to still do it by law. Don't let them Bs you. There was a site you could enter your vin to see if it was done. I cant remember what it was though.

I can agree with you. They actually aren't bad cars.

I just have it out for my g/f's which was a piece of junk and was damn near impossible to work on. Every time you could touch a vaccum hose or anything plastic under the engine, it would break. And that car does not have an easy vaccum routing system.

I didn't know about the recall. I wish I would have because her injectors were either fouled or clogged when we had it. You would floor the thing and it would just sputter and die.

I am just going based on the 300zx she had, and I understand not all of them are like that, I just really can't stand to see under the hood of one, brings back way too many bad memories.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 3:02 PM
LOL I know what you mean. She must of had Severe engine heat to cause the plastic to break so easy. It was an easily fixed problem. They used too high of a thermostat in the RAD. swap it out with one like 10-20 degrees colder. And as far as the Fuel, you probably never had the recall either. The new injectors Atomize so much better and bring one hell of a quick response to the engine.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 4:18 PM
It's a v6, not a straight.

See...

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 4:19 PM
It's a v6, not a straight.

See...

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search