Cheap fun car for the summer? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cheap fun car for the summer?
Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:10 PM
In the fall I'm going to college and won't be taking a car, so my Cavalier will most likely stay at home for my sister to do driver's ed in. As such, it's not really worth me sinking money into the car to make it faster/handle better because I won't drive it much after the fall.

So my question is, do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap car to buy, have fun with over the summer but not a daily driver, and then sell again before I go to college? My ideas so far are a dirt-cheap (ie. rusted but running) CRX or second-gen Jetta/Golf/GTI... I'd really like a Subaru SVX too...

Anyway, what suggestions on cars would you guys give me?

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.

Re: Cheap fun car for the summer?
Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:43 PM
old miata wouldn't be too bad
Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:45 PM
I might get a 01 Firebird for $5000 with only 30,000 miles in great shape. Try finding something like that cause they are really fun to drive.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:04 PM
what do you mean by fun? fast straight line, takes turns awesome, ok at turns, ok in the straight, ect?

a fiat/bertone x1/9 is a fun as hell car, like a street legal gokart. where abouts do you live? i know of one for sale for $1K . though in it's present condition it's not much good for rain, the top is missing a weather strip

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Friday, June 02, 2006 7:41 AM
lol i ownd a fiat it was the worst car ever, so many problems left and right....not to mention it was brown....then again i seem to attract brown carsi have owned 4

Friday, June 02, 2006 7:43 AM
for got to mention it stands for fixt it again tony...and what i should have said is get a 2 gen j convertible...and just go nutz lol....

Friday, June 02, 2006 5:45 PM
Ylime wrote:for got to mention it stands for fixt it again tony...and what i should have said is get a 2 gen j convertible...and just go nutz lol....

WHY DO YOU THINK WE'RE TRYIN TO GET RID OF IT??!!!???

but honsetly, man, find a cheap jeep that you can take the top off of and run around like a convertible, and then take it to the mud on weekends

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Friday, June 02, 2006 6:17 PM
Hmm, ok, good suggestions guys, keep 'em coming. Just an FYI I'd like to keep the purchase cost under $1k, I know that sounds unreasonable so I'd probably stretch to more like $2k...

Miata's have always interested me, but I think I'd be spending a lot to pick one up, same with the Firebird (tho I LOVE the looks of those)...

...anyone else?

Friday, June 02, 2006 7:03 PM
88-93 stang

Im out there Jerry and Im LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Friday, June 02, 2006 8:13 PM
Older miata's (like 1990/91) shouldn't go for more than $2k.

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Saturday, June 03, 2006 6:38 AM
Get the miata. If you could afford it get a jeep though. They hold value and are easy to get rid of especialy if you part it out. I found a restored red willy for 2k at a car show once really with I could have picked it up.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 6:45 AM
How about a bike? You could buy a nice learners motorcycle, and have fun with that over summer.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 7:41 AM
^^^ good idea and will save you some gas money.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:32 AM
Evil Cavalier wrote:How about a bike?
X2

Saturday, June 03, 2006 7:24 PM
If you can find a CRX, get that. I bought an 85 CRX last September for 500 bucks. (Manual with 339,000 on it ) I've got 347,000 now. I can honestly say that it is the best 500 bucks I ever spent. The car is super low to the ground and a blast to drive.
Sunday, June 04, 2006 1:40 PM
The Miata would be nice, but my friend is buying a Miata so I don't wanna feel like a tool and copy him. The above comment (super low and a blast to drive) is exactly what I'm looking for in any car. It either has to run 16.5 or faster (lol my car runs 17.79), or be a ton of fun to drive. Hey, but thanks for everyone's suggestions this has been really useful.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:16 PM
my vote is for 16v mk2. people usually want too much for a 16v gti/gli in decent shape though, but a lot of times you can get em cheap. i got my GL for nothing and put a 16v in for pretty cheap and i love the little bastard. most people claim high 15's/ low 16's out of em stock. they're pretty nimble, you can dump an assortment of engines into them, they're just flat out fun to drive. my car is pretty softly sprung and not nearly stiff enough and its still a blast to drive and handles really well. if you go with one, get a 2l 16v if at all possible.
[URL=http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f387/originalnorcalstyle/?action=view¤t=DSCN1170.flv][/URL]

Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:18 PM
eh @!#$, well the video worked in the preview

Sunday, June 04, 2006 7:00 PM
How about a fiero? They are low, handle like crazy, and are fun to drive... The v6 5 speed cars have decent performance and fieros can be found dirt cheap. Plastic/fiberglass doesn't rust either.
Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:16 PM
i also had a fiero lol well i was learning how to drive.....ok car....

Sunday, June 04, 2006 9:52 PM
I would say just buy an old Yugo.... yes a yugo, and beat the living crap out of it A buddy and I bought one last year to see how much air time it could get over the speedbump in the local area

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search