Re-invented Muscle Cars - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re-invented Muscle Cars
Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:13 PM
Ok here it is again! what is everyones opinion on all the re-invented muscle cars of the 60's- early 70's? such as the new camaro concept, the charger, the new mustang, the challenger concept, etc.

Personally I like that they are all coming back, but the F*****g things have too much plastic on them (pardon the language but im sick of it)!!! these cars were all muscle, heavy beasts that you were never really afraid to crash in cause you had some metal protecting you. the interiors on these cars are killin me also!!! they just look way to cheap, id be afraid to touch the sh** for fear of breaking it! anyway im just wonderin what eveyone else thinks.

Lifes a B**ch,
You marry one,
Then you DIE!!

Re: Re-invented Muscle Cars
Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:28 PM
I like them. They have style, which is something that alot of today's cars don't have anymore. As far as havign too much plastic on them, get used to it. I highly doubt that automakers are ever goung to go back to using more heavy metal in there cars. But it is important to keep in mind that these cars will never be exactly the same as they once were, they have to be modernized. I am however somewhat against using large inefficient V8 engines.
Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:23 PM
Jonathan wrote: I am however somewhat against using large inefficient V8 engines.

damn 30mpg on the highway, pretty damn inefficient. and besides, what do you expect, they're sport/muscle cars

anyways. out of all of them camaro is my favorite, its not quite a carbon copy like the mustang and challenger. But these designers, give me a break, every 40 years now and we gonna start back at modernized gen 1 cars?
Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:17 PM
Kristopher Hinck wrote:that you were never really afraid to crash in cause you had some metal protecting you

Cars these days are safer than they have ever been sure they may not hold up after a small bump but I am willing to sacrifice that for overall safety.
As for the new muscle cars I like the concept but I would like to see a "real muscle car". The idea back then was a smallish car with lots of power and a reasonable price tag. Today you just don't get than if you have the big motor you have all the options. I don't know if we will ever see it again a RWD car with a V8 even with minimal options will be at least $30G's CDN and nobody wants a $30 thousand dollar car with roll up windows and no A/C.

Jabbles
Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:21 PM
So much peasant ignorance.

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Thursday, May 04, 2006 8:19 PM
Cars is the 60's and 70's were great, I love them to death, but there old dyno's. Newer cars with half the power can crush them. why you ask?? weight. Yes those old cars were all putting out 300-400hp but also weighed 3500pds. They could burn the rubber like hell, but alot had slow 1/4 miles times (15's-18's) and had no turning ability.

and yes I know there were cars like the hemis, and yenkos that ran 13 second 1/4 miles, but even them could get beat by an evo or sti with a good driver.

So all in all, the new chargers, camaro, mustang own the old cars. The old cars are/were great, but the new breeds are better in every category.

And even tho I love old muscle, I would take an 02 TA over a 69 TA anyday.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:29 PM
its not a muscle car unless the front wheels lift......homie

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, May 05, 2006 3:28 AM
1968 Camaro SS: 3570 lbs (Link)

2005 Subaru WRX STI: 3263-3298 lbs (Link)

You're not talking about a half-tonne here, 300 LBS tops. Weight is not the difference.

The difference is efficiency. An STI will make the same HP as the AVG muscle car but use a lot less rotating mass to do it, and top that off with the fact that most turbo'ed cars displace less than 3 litres, every new car is Fuel injected as opposed to carburated, and better gearing ratios (and more gears) and you'll see why things are getting more efficient.

The 2.5l STI powerplant will be able to pull around the rest of the weight of the car a lot more efficiently than the Camaro, but, in the Camaro you have a lot more weight tied up in the powertrain because of the metals used and the displacement.

The interesting part would come when you weighed the bodies with everything BUT powertrain in them.

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Friday, May 05, 2006 9:31 AM
^^^ Exactly. The Camaro would probably weigh less. They didn't have all the crash test standards to deal with, so there's less to the bodies and chasis. That's why (in my opinion) the ultimate cars are the trends of people like Barry White. You know, taking old muscle car bodies, but putting in modern suspension and drivetrain. Saves the weight and works more effeciently. Can't beat that.

Back on topic, though. I'm really loving the new muscle car throwbacks. The new Mustang looks superb. The new Charger = the bomb. I love sedans, and it's nice to see one done in the flavor of old school muscle. Though, yes, to be true to heritage, it should have stayed a two door, which is why I'm really excited for the release of the new Challenger. The new Camaro concept is also very damn exciting. But that brings up my biggest dissapointment with GM. They've been using the old names like Impala, Monte Carlo, etc. but leaving these cars as modern boxes that are FWD. They should have at least kept the drivetrain right!!! I'd love to see them do a production modern Corvette but in a retro style body throwback to the 60s (think modern split-window coupe).

All in all, I say it's a great trend. It combines the best of both worlds, and makes the old (and I say better) flavor more accessible to a new generation.

-John

Friday, May 05, 2006 10:00 AM
Wait a minute here...

Old school muscle cars were all rear wheel drive.

Now, today in this day and age of FWD, AWD, Traction Control, Sport comp RADIAL tires - (not Bias Plys) and Fuel injection, not Carbs, HEI, Distribless Ignition, ETC.

It impossible to really compare the two.

Just my .02 on the subject. Those Car's in there Day, made use on the best that Technology had to offer, now with today's Computer Tech, Fuel Injection, Etc, Etc.
We can do so much more, I remember when the 300 MPH, on NHRA strips, was considered a pipe dream, just one example.

Silver Stripey makes your Day!
Friday, May 05, 2006 10:47 AM
Spitfire2332 wrote:
Jonathan wrote: I am however somewhat against using large inefficient V8 engines.

wan wan wan.mpg are for pussies i hope my car gets 5 mpg so i can destroy the earth faster

-Borsty

Friday, May 05, 2006 11:02 AM
oooook
Friday, May 05, 2006 11:16 AM
Borsty wrote:

wan wan wan.mpg are for pussies i hope my car gets 5 mpg so i can destroy the earth faster

fixed

-Borsty
Friday, May 05, 2006 11:18 AM
IMO, the mustang did the only good job on a resurrection. Damn those are sexy cars... I'm just not feelin the charger, havent seen the concepts (challenger and camaro), and the HHR looks like a ressurection of a 1930 truck from hell. But todays cars have their problems too.
I test drove the mustang and just hated the handling. Felt like the mustang had no power steering at all (I drove the V6, I hope the V8 is better), felt like my 85 mazda 626 handled better. The V6 still felt beefy though.
I should start a car review site/section. lol. I've been wanting to try the charger, and the new camry.... *drool*
Friday, May 05, 2006 2:09 PM
I like the new models. Things have to change. If I had to buy one now and if I could afford one I would go with the Challanger or the Stang. Now if I could go old school I would go with a '69 camaro!!!!

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Friday, May 05, 2006 4:54 PM
The Mustang is not too bad.

I'll take an older musclecar over a revised one anyday.....preferably a 67 Camaro SS!

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:18 PM
Tribals wrote:The Mustang is not too bad.

I'll take an older musclecar over a revised one anyday.....preferably a 67 Camaro SS!

Ah...I just saw an 67-69 Camaro SS on the road today. On the subject, I'd take an older muscle car for the sake of nostalgia but the newer ones would be more efficient and easier to fix in the event of a wreck. It's a toss up either way but I'm diggin the new Mustangs, hate the new Chargers, will wait to see the Challenger, and want a new Camaro. The only thing GM needs to do is fix the Monte Carlo, Impala, and Malibu to at least RWD or maybe do a good retro styling on them so they can use a newer chassis w/ RWD.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:09 PM
Quote:

I'd take an older muscle car for the sake of nostalgia but the newer ones would be more efficient and easier to fix in the event of a wreck.

That makes two of us. I'd love to have an old Challenger for a fun car to take out a few times a year, and then a new Charger for my daily driver.

Quote:

The only thing GM needs to do is fix the Monte Carlo, Impala, and Malibu to at least RWD or maybe do a good retro styling on them so they can use a newer chassis w/ RWD.

That's exactly the point I was making.

-John

Friday, May 05, 2006 10:21 PM
I saw my first Charger SRT-8 yesterday. although I have not been overly impressed by them so far the SRT-8 "makes" that car. Now THOSE are Chargers, and friggin sexy to boot. The 'Stangs are hot. and the challengers...the best repro of a classic yet.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Friday, May 05, 2006 11:11 PM
id kill for a restyled rwd 2dr malibu like my 1st car, an 81 malibu 2dr

Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:
Sorry that you aren't fond of me... I guess you seem to be a loner in that crowd bud.

...i beg to differ
Saturday, May 06, 2006 6:29 AM
Quote:

The only thing GM needs to do is fix the Monte Carlo, Impala, and Malibu to at least RWD or maybe do a good retro styling on them so they can use a newer chassis w/ RWD.

Isnt the new V8 impalas RWD?

Has any one seen the new Saleen mustangs? I guy at the gym next to my work has one. Looks nice. He says its a stage 2 with a supercharger, but i've yet to see under the hood. But either way, it looks mean.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 6:37 AM
^^^Nope, they're FWD.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:25 AM
My thoughts: I like the Super Muscle Car idea...

Take an old GTO/Chevelle/Firebird w/e, strip it down totally and rebuild from the bottom up (stiffen the chassis a little more ), stuff in all new engine, suspension, brakes, use the old wheels (70's gold snowflake yo) and era correct size of tires... and go ape-sh!t.

I had thought about doing that with a late-70's Firebird, but realised that I'm still paying for the house... and, I don't have a garage to work on it.

It's on the back shelf though... I'll get to it soon enough... hopefully, we'll have rechargable ion-drives that use air, cost next to nothing to buy, and never need to be washed or waxed... That way I can use the gasoline substitute that actually burns and smells like gas, but only costs $14 a gallon.

I have a dream...

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:59 PM
Quote:

Borsty wrote:

wow, you sure have a responsible way of thinking. maybe the earth will take you out first, like with some lightning, or a flash flood. who knows.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 3:05 PM
Dan Morrison wrote:
Quote:

Borsty wrote:

wow, you sure have a responsible way of thinking. maybe the earth will take you out first, like with some lightning, or a flash flood. who knows.

or a gun...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search