60mpg and counting.. TDI at the lake with new toys - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
60mpg and counting.. TDI at the lake with new toys
Friday, May 05, 2006 4:55 AM

This weekend I am turbocharging Nick's car:

In exchange for his 19" Chrome Konig Profits. They are going on the golf allong with a 2" drop next weekend if all goes well.
While I was in there for the custom intercooler piping I took the time the remove and clean out the intake manifold. Diesels don't have throttle bodies. The TDI has the EGR valve bolt in place where that normally goes. Since diesel exhaust is particulate, the soot in comination with PCV vapors combine to form a thick black carbon that clogs up the intake manigold. After 75k miles, I could barely fit my pinky finger through the hole that my engine was breathing through.

Rather than reconnecting the new charge pipes to the EGR valve, I just cut off the flange on the intake manifold and clamped a 2" silicon connector to it, fully deleting the EGR system. I also went in with a Vagcom and deleted EGR from the computert to avoid a CEL. All of the charge pipes I made are 2.5" all the way through with a fully functional PCV system and IAT.

I also made an intake with heat wrap to protect it from heat soak where it goes over the turbo and exhaust manifold.

After all the piping was done I cut up the front bumper to fit the intercooler correctly. You can see in the first pictures that I cut the lip to fit as well.

Pretty soon I am going to have completed pictures of the sounds system too:

Be happy with the teaser build pics for now.

Cardomain|Myspace

Re: 60mpg and counting.. TDI at the lake with new
Friday, May 05, 2006 5:07 AM
ever thought of running a biodiesel mix? It will help alot with the soot problem.

-Chris

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:16 AM
There really isn't much of a soot problem if you can get enough air to the engine. The biodiesel burns a lot cleaner which is why there is less visable smoke, the gasses are less particulate. One of the good things about running regular diesel is that you know roughly where your tuning is. I have zero traces of smoke right now... which means I'm getting optimal fuel milage. A good thing.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:17 AM
[X] e-mail me replies.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:30 AM
the golf looks nice and clean on the outside, I say drop it but leave the stock rims on, don't bling it out. I'm not feeling that sub mounted there at all.

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:58 AM
Josh so does it run any better? It should now that its breathing thru a full intake rather then a pinky sized hole. I'm with Siz, not diggin the sub But to each his own. IMO the wheels should look good.

Aw hell with it ! Just make it look the one in Sizzy's sig !

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, May 05, 2006 10:37 AM
screw you and you 60mpg

LOL

and they say you can lead a VW to water but cant make it drink

lol

looks like alot of fun getting that gunk out of there , gotta love diesel

nice pics

Friday, May 05, 2006 10:55 AM
Next on your list should be getting a shifter that doesn't look like a penis.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 12:35 AM
^^^I was actually looking into choad short shifters.

The water in that lake is soo disgusting, probably toxic enough to be combustable. I should have filled her up while I was there.

Terry, It drives like a dream!I intend on putting those rims on... If I don't like them I will sell them and get jetta GLI rims on it.

Sizzy... to each his own. Almost all VW people think alike.. in every way.. it is scary..... VW clubs and what not are total CULTS.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:13 AM
yep, tis your car do as you wish, but you might just end up making me cry when it's all done.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:20 AM
Put Porsche Twisties or RH's on it.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:28 AM
IamRascal wrote:ever thought of running a biodiesel mix? It will help alot with the soot problem.

If you have run regular diesel for a while and you switch to bio you will have a lot of problems. Biodiesel also has a better cleaning agent. Which the vehicle will not be use to and cause problems with the filters, lines, pump, tank. It happened at work on a lot of our diesel vehicles. The base ran diesel for years then switched to Biodiesel. That is some nasty ass fuel.

What we do and I strongly recommend is when you change your fuel filter instead of filling it with fuel fill it with dextron. It burns great but has a nice detergent in it that will clean out our fuel system.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:35 AM
SpcmnSpff302 (The Link Master) wrote:Next on your list should be getting a shifter that doesn't look like a penis.
^ I read that & I
Love those TDIs! Those first pictures look like it's thinking of commiting suicide by drowning.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:49 AM
Is it true that the vw tdi tannys are weak and need to be rebuilt a lot? I was looking into a 96 tdi but the rumor of the tranny makes me want to look else where, but i'd really want the gas millage. what to do?

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:52 AM
^^^^No the clutches don't handle power.. that is the problem. Just swap on a G60 flywheel and a Vr6 clutch and you will be straight.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:39 AM
what about autos?

The biggest hole, is the illusion of invulnerability.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:54 PM
Autos do fine. There are plenty of people pushing out 400 ft/lbs of torque through the stock transmission. Most of them upgrade the differential to an LSD just for better traction but I have only seen one person break a dif in these cars... that was a manual and he was pushing A LOT of motor work.

The only problem tranny is the MSG... the paddle shifter in the newer Vdub.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:02 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Minion, maybe i will look at those tdi's after all. I love them too because they can be made fast enough to enjoy for really cheap.

Nice tdi btw.

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:42 PM
so what happened to that sunbird project

-Borsty
Monday, May 08, 2006 7:34 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:If you have run regular diesel for a while and you switch to bio you will have a lot of problems. Biodiesel also has a better cleaning agent. Which the vehicle will not be use to and cause problems with the filters, lines, pump, tank. It happened at work on a lot of our diesel vehicles. The base ran diesel for years then switched to Biodiesel. That is some nasty ass fuel.

What we do and I strongly recommend is when you change your fuel filter instead of filling it with fuel fill it with dextron. It burns great but has a nice detergent in it that will clean out our fuel system.

Most biodiesel people will tell you to start with a mix first, and plan on 2-3 fuel filters while converting over.

It cleans out EVERYTHING.

VW approves B5 (5%bio, 95%petrol diesel)

When we get the family diesel I plan on having the car run on B99 or B100 in the summer and down to around B40 or so during the winter months so it doesn't gel.

Biodiesel isn't something to blindly switch to, you need to be patient and take your time, or you'll gunk up your car have to flush out the tank etc...

-Chris

Monday, May 08, 2006 2:45 PM
^^^ you're telling me. I've seen it first hand. Thats what the military has done. Gunked up more fuel tanks then I can count.

Monday, May 08, 2006 3:03 PM
Borsty wrote:so what happened to that sunbird project

The sunbird is still being built. The motor is done, now I'm on to restoring the body and increadible amounts of weight reduction, plus the roll cage.

I don't plan on ever switching to biodiesel. I am holding my breath that a premium diesel will become regulated. There is a gas station in Baltimore that has premium diesel right now but it is usually beyond a reasonable distance when my tank runs low.

Cardomain|Myspace

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search