04-05 WRX the good the bad the ugly - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04-05 WRX the good the bad the ugly
Thursday, May 04, 2006 8:57 PM
Ok I am looking into a 04-05 Subaru WRX. I want something thats a 4 door thats turboed and just all around fun to drive. My friend had a 03 but it had issues with the trans. would bind going into gear. He just recently got rid of it and got a 95 Supra TT. Ne ways whats the run around on them I want comments opinions good bad inbetween. I am really interested in getting one this fall. The other benefit to me is the AWD. I'm kinda stuck between fields and in the winter time snow is bad when we get it. Alot of drifting. I just want a decent ride. lookin forward to what everyone has to say.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Re: 04-05 WRX the good the bad the ugly
Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:28 PM
great car the only problem is, is that they break.....alot. oh yeah and try chaging the spark plugs.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:30 PM
I have an 04 WRX. They are very reliable vehicles. the 02's and some of the 03's have tranny problems. I think all wrx's bind a little going into 1st gear sometimes and reverse. I would recomend getting an 06 wrx. They come with 17's, better brakes, and have a 2.5l engine with loads of torque. Its pretty cheap to get them to go fast. Mine is a Cobb stage 2 wrx.( roughly 285hp-220-240whp). That only cost me around 1000 bucks.
Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:33 PM
They dont break a lot. There is a lot of stupid people that do not know how to drive them right.

YOu are right---they do break a lot, if you are constantly doing 3000rpm+ launches.great car the only problem is, is that they break.....alot
Quote:

Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:51 PM
i would love a 04 wrx.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:15 PM
I have heard that Subaru is doing really well for reliability. My issue with them is that they are kinda ugly, I think. However the 06's look Alot better. But they are AWD so that pretty much settles it. Go for it. I'm sure you won't regret it.
Friday, May 05, 2006 3:38 AM
Now see thats my thing I hate the 06 I think it's so ugly in the front end. I personally hate the B9 Tribeca front end on them. my friends trans would actually bind going from 1st to second or second to third. his car had a cobb stage 2 HKS downpipe and catback megan header AEM CAI 6 puck clutch and b&m short throw manual boost controller and turbo timer. it ran fairly decent but having stock trans mounts I think was some of his issue with shifting with all that done.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:30 AM
ive heard the transmissions going like oil changes

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Friday, May 05, 2006 8:51 AM
The Good:

I don't know anything about bad and ugly, I love the car!!!

My friend does have an older model WRX and has been having the comming tranny problems.

Have a good one,
Justin

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:14 PM
Quote:

They dont break a lot. There is a lot of stupid people that do not know how to drive them right.

YOu are right---they do break a lot, if you are constantly doing 3000rpm+ launches.
great car the only problem is, is that they break.....alot

Quote:

heres why. the wrx is ment for rally as the sti is ment for racing and to compete against the evo.
in rally events, 2.0 is the limit in displacement... thats why the sti cant compete as its a 2.5
the tranny is ment for the wheels to spin, not hook . subie figured if people want to race it, they'd get the sti, not wrx.

so here u have a tranny thats ment for the wheels to spin.... well im sure everyone here can guess what happens when u put down 250+Awhp +5k rpm launches on a tranny thats not ment to take that kinda abuse...

STI's dont have that problem... im not saying the sti tranny will last with 7k dumps, but its alot stronger tranny then the wrx.

theres a local guy that had a wrx. cobb ecu, the works. he put down 320awhp. he went through 2-3 wrx trannies.. upgraded to a jspec sti tranny, that held for about a year then 2nd gear went out.. parted the car out then sold it stock.

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:23 PM
Justin Cox wrote:The Good:

My friend does have an older model WRX and has been having the comming tranny problems.

Have a good one,
Justin

x372847

Friday, May 05, 2006 6:25 PM
I like them.

And if they break... swap in an LS1.

Kits exist.

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Friday, May 05, 2006 6:38 PM
MikeGT wrote:
Justin Cox wrote:The Good:

Have a good one,
Justin

x372847

front is a little funny looking, but who am i to judge, i drive a cavalier.

the rest is sexy

Saturday, May 06, 2006 10:52 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]
Quote:

YOu are right---they do break a lot, if you are constantly doing 3000rpm+ launches.
great car the only problem is, is that they break.....alot

Quote:

heres why. the wrx is ment for rally as the sti is ment for racing and to compete against the evo.
in rally events, 2.0 is the limit in displacement... thats why the sti cant compete as its a 2.5
the tranny is ment for the wheels to spin, not hook . subie figured if people want to race it, they'd get the sti, not wrx.

so here u have a tranny thats ment for the wheels to spin.... well im sure everyone here can guess what happens when u put down 250+Awhp +5k rpm launches on a tranny thats not ment to take that kinda abuse...

STI's dont have that problem... im not saying the sti tranny will last with 7k dumps, but its alot stronger tranny then the wrx.

theres a local guy that had a wrx. cobb ecu, the works. he put down 320awhp. he went through 2-3 wrx trannies.. upgraded to a jspec sti tranny, that held for about a year then 2nd gear went out.. parted the car out then sold it stock.

Im am now smater thank you for that info.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:58 AM
so smart you said am twice in the sentence

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:45 PM
john... the sti overseas though is a 2.0 that's tuned to 300hp from the factory with the 6spd. they run sti's in rally over there... america got the 2.5 due to our love of torque.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 12:31 PM
Don't even touch the older ones. Drive a pre 06 then get in an 06 and you'll understand why. You can replace the front grill for a hundred or so and it looks good.

Having ridden in an STI, WRX pre 06 and 06 and a 2.5RS. I can tell you the WRX now launches like an STI, so much redicuolous torque.

Your really short changing yourself with a pre 06. Also the newer ones don't have the same glass transmissions as older models.

The problem with the older ones is the 2nd gear was made out of paper mache

-Chris

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:13 PM
um the reason for the 2.5l in the STI is because of the great organization known as the EPA and polution standards.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search