Getting a car need suggestions plz help : ) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getting a car need suggestions plz help : )
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:38 PM
hey guys whats up

as im sure alot of you know i sold my Z24 and am now riding in a neon, well ive come across some money and looking to upgrade a little bit from my 97 neon coupe lol not like thats very hard to do or anything. so im looking for something late 90's early 00's the price range must be around 7k and it must be something that can be modded cheaply unlike the j-body's lol o and must be atleast as quick as my old 98 Z24..ran 15.3 stock : )

i was thinkin a camaro or a firbird but there is always lots of snow up here in the winter so idk about that, any suggestions would be great and one more thing im looking to upgrade from my cavalier and neon not stay at the same level, meaning im looking for nicer interior and nicer car over all

thanks

Re: Getting a car need suggestions plz help : )
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:41 PM
gtp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPPSSSS!!!! MMMMMmmmMMM boost=yummy

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:06 AM
i have a nice Corolla with your name on it.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Buy my iBook!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:29 AM
Buy a nice camaro and get a beater for the winter.

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:32 AM
Project Crash Pattern wrote:87 Z-28 and a whitesnake cassette

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:41 AM
acura integra R
RSX-S

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Real cars don't make power at the front wheels......
THEY LIFT THEM !!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:04 AM
b0jan jebac wrote:acura integra R
RSX-S

you don't know how to read.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Buy my iBook!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:50 AM
lilbit01 wrote:you don't know how to read.

=OrangeZ= wrote:must be atleast as quick as my old 98 Z24..ran 15.3 stock : )

I'd suggest looking into 1.8T VW's but I haven't checked up on prices yet.

Blown.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:16 PM
they'll be too expensive unless they have a salvage title.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Buy my iBook!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:49 PM
bob tommas wrote:gtp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think you might have hit it on the head with that one. to bad they dont make the montes with the s/c in my price range always liked them for some reason

anymore suggestions

thanks again guys

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 1:13 PM
yea gtp! or grand am gt...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:25 PM
GTP. easy to make fast, bulletproof engine, not TOO bad lookin, great driver comforts, and you could probably pick up a '98 for 7K. also a buick GS if you want to go that route. i almost wish i had gotten one, that's one hell of a sleeper, awesome ride, and i actually do like the looks. they're killer black. but they're not quite as quick as GTPs. Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS came supercharged starting in '01, i think? so yeah, they're a little outta the price range. best part, unlike camaro's or fire birds, you can actually use our back seats! and they're really pretty comfortable.

grand am GTs are nice cars, but i think the Grand Prix outdoes it in about every aspect... except maybe gas milage, i get 17mpg in town, but im somewhat modded.

oh, and monte's are ugly

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:04 PM
I vote Grand Am GT or Alero GL (?) its the one with the 3400. Awesome gas mileage and its fast too.

or

Grand Prix GTP (3800 SC V6) with all the options, leather, HUD, DIC, etc. Uses premium but its fast and premium is only like an extra 5$ for the fill up, definitley worth it
Monte Carlo?
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:28 PM
i definatly recomend a gtp! i sold my cavalier and bought a 01 gtp coupe and couldn't be happier with it, lots of power stock, easy to make fast, and i love the leather interior/bose stereo/heads up display ect.., it rides so nice and is fun to drive. the whole car just feels 1000% better then any jbody... i was also looking at ls1 camaro's but decided on the gtp so i didn't need to park it in the winter time

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:10 PM
how fast can i make this thing with out having to put to much work into it, btw im well aware of all things S/C as i had a s/c Z24

also how hard would it be to supercharge a normal 3800 grand prix, would you just need to add all the s/c stuff and then have the computer reflashed or something? i think they have different trannys but i could be wrong...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:11 PM
o and what do these things run stock for the 1/4 ? high 14's?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:31 PM
lilbit01 wrote:i have a nice Corolla with your name on it.

Sorry to go off topic here, but I think you're hilarious lilbit01. I swear I must see a post everyday with you trying to pawn your Corolla off to someone.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:42 PM
GTP: 240hp 280 tq stock. low 15's, high 14's in the 1/4 mile, stock.

i had a FWI, 3.5" pulley, 3" downpipe and ran a 14.06 that's around $300 in mods, just because i bought my intake instead of making one.

supercharging a 3800 takes a little more effort than just poppin a supercharger on top of the block. engine code on the N/A engine is L36, code for the S/C engine is L67. the block, crank, and rods are the same in the two engines, head, intake manifold, pistons are different. there's an SS install kit sold through ZZperformance.com, i believe it includes a blower and intake manifold made to run with L36 heads. however, the transmission inthe supercharged cars is also different. the N/A trannie is the 4t65E transmission, the supercharged version has the 4T65E-HD transmission, upgrades include an upgraded differential, chain drive, and half shafts. gearing is also different, although that doesnt hurt as much as the others. GTP transmissions have a 2.93 final gear ratio, N/A cars have a 3.29 final ratio.

that's all i can think of for now.

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:29 PM
thanks alot for the info work
i was looking into that SS kit earlier but the tranny on the L36 isnt that great and has a hard time holding over 300chp which im looking to eventualy go much higher so that turned me away from that whole thing not to mention a gtp isnt that much more then a gt

so to me it seems like a 97 gtp coupe should fit the bill as they look exactly like all the rest up to 2002 i believe and as long as i can find one in decent shape with decent milage i should be good, a black on black coupe sounds nice

now whats a price range im looking at? KBB says it should retail around 5K and private party for 4K with average mileage on it does that sound right?? and how come there is a lack of any body kits and stuff like that all i can find are hoods which the dual cowl hoods look awesome btw

thanks again guys

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:42 PM
I wanted to get a 97-99 GTP and couldnt find one locally and got my Firebird with the 3800, really wishing I would have waited on that one.

I do love the look of the bird though and t-tops are fun, no GTP though.

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:22 AM
RoNuS20 wrote:
lilbit01 wrote:i have a nice Corolla with your name on it.

Sorry to go off topic here, but I think you're hilarious lilbit01. I swear I must see a post everyday with you trying to pawn your Corolla off to someone.

gotta get rid of the corolla to get the subaru.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

Buy my iBook!

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:33 PM
actually the4t65E tranny is only good for around 250 horse, if that. the 4t65e-HD tranny is good for around 300 crank horsepower. soon thereafter it starts to go bye bye, which is what im going through now. the tranny was fine with low 14 second passes, but now with the cam and other goodies, it doesnt like me any more.

as for years of grand prix, the '97 body style ran through the '03 build year, and the redesign was introduced in '04. the majority of changes in the older design happened in the first few years. '97's having the most weird stuff. '97's are also known for more computer problems and have had problems with KR and false KR... but, i've also seen '97's go faster mod for mod than any other year. alone with the differnet PCM used in '97, there was also a different intake design than other years, which was a very VERY bad design. but, you shouldnt have that more than a few months anyway. along with that is a coolant overflow bottle located behind the drivers side front headlight, restricting airflow to any intake box you would happen to put there, but not a problem for FWI's. the intake problem was solved in '98, and the coolant relocation bottle was fixed i believe in '99. also added in '99 were plastic baffles around the radiator to increase airflow through, rather than around, the radiator. '97 GTP's also didnt come with the traction controll option, at all. selectable traction controll was introduced in the GTP in '98.

GTP's actually seem to hold their value pretty well. there are always people lookin for them, so they can be hard to find. it took me a while to find mine. $5K is a good starting point for a '97, though you will probably see them at dealers for more around $6K-$6500. just look around, and talk them down.

and yes, i like the black on black idea . in addition to finding a black GTP, in early '97 there were a few rare GTPs that did not have exterior antennas. instead they were placed in the back windsheild. gives the car a VERY clean look.

the reason for the lack of body kits is the mentality of the Grand Prix community. most of us arent really into the fast and the furious look. these cars can be some good sleepers (no one thinks a grand prix can run low 12 and be streetable). plus, the bumpers and molding already on the cars are about as good as they can get. you cant do much to them to make them look good... other than get rid of the terribly bland hood, hence the variaty in hood choices.

any other questions, feel free to ask

Andy

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:34 PM
hey i know i said i was looking at gtp's but this camaro cought my eye

what you think about it??

CAMARO

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:35 PM
Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:58 PM
i think it's 3 years newer and only has 10K less miles than my car, and it's the almost the same price as mine was.

but, it is a Z28. camaros are cool. i would want one, but i love having something a little different

Andy

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search