RSX=Dead - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RSX=Dead
Monday, May 01, 2006 8:51 AM
LOS ANGELES -- Acura will kill the RSX coupe at the end of the 2006 model year.

John Mendel, senior vice president of automobile operations at American Honda Motor Co., says the company is considering replacements for its cheapest vehicle but would not elaborate. Some dealers say Acura will add a coupe version of the TSX.

Elimination of the RSX, Acura's least expensive vehicle by about $8,000, looks like part of Acura's long-term plan to move upscale and separate from sibling brand Honda.

Consumers can now buy a 197-hp Honda Civic Si for about the same price as a base 155-hp RSX.

"The Acura brand has been inconsistent," Mendel said during an interview with Automotive News. "We want to be performance, luxury and technology -- in the BMW area a little bit."

This summer Acura will introduce the small RDX all-wheel-drive crossover, Acura's first vehicle with a turbocharged engine. A redesigned MDX SUV goes on sale this fall with a V-6 engine that Acura promises will deliver more horsepower than any other vehicle in its class.

The base RSX, on the other hand, is powered by a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine making 155 hp. It is priced at $20,940, including the $615 destination charge.

By comparison, the Civic Si is powered by a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine making 197 hp and teamed with a six-speed manual transmission. It sells for $20,840, including shipping.

The RSX was introduced in 2002 and freshened in the 2004 model year. U.S. sales fell 10.6 percent the first three months of this year, to 4,150 units.

By comparison, Acura's best seller, the TL, posted sales of 16,804 in the same period.

Guido Vildozo, automotive analyst with Global Insight in Lexington, Mass., says the RSX needs to go if Acura wants to distance itself from Honda and move upscale. "Where do you position RSX now that Honda has the Civic Si?" Vildozo asks.

Rob Mohr, sales manager for 20 years at Montano Acura in Albuquerque, N.M., says dealers have heard that Acura may add both coupe and convertible models to the TSX sedan, the second-least expensive Acura, which lists at $28,505, including shipping.

But Mohr questions the brand's decision to kill the RSX. He says the inexpensive sticker brought in a lot of customers.

"It's a mistake," he says. "It's a great first car for Acura. We had our chance at the luxury market and blew it. Now we're going to lose a lot of the RSX customers, and I'm not so sure we can get them back."

The RSX is the successor to the Integra, an Acura mainstay in the past. In 1995, for instance, the Integra posted U.S. sales of 61,316.

The Integra outsold the Acura Legend by more than 3-to-1 and accounted for 63.1 percent of Acura sales.

Acura already has learned some lessons about high price tags. The redesigned RL flagship sedan arrived in the fall of 2004 loaded with such equipment as all-wheel drive and a navigation system. The sticker is just shy of $50,000.

But sales are down by more than a third this year. So Mendel says the company will bring out a trim line this summer that will give customers more flexibility with options. He says the vehicle will be priced more in the mid-luxury range.

That sucks......I love the RSX.

Re: RSX=Dead
Monday, May 01, 2006 9:06 AM
I read that this morning on the Autoweek site. Sucks to hear. The RSX definitely is a nice vehicle.

Have a good one,
Justin

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:31 AM

it's funny that they are getting rid of the RSX to bring up the bottom of Acura but up here in Canada they're selling the CSX.

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:49 AM
i kinda agree with that sales guy the lower price cars bring the customers in

but if the car doesnt sell well , you gotta cut something , price tag or the car itself

Monday, May 01, 2006 12:30 PM
brew-san wrote:

it's funny that they are getting rid of the RSX to bring up the bottom of Acura but up here in Canada they're selling the CSX.

whats the csx?

Monday, May 01, 2006 12:43 PM
themarin8r wrote:
brew-san wrote:

whats the csx?

Acura Badged Civic.. (with no SI version)

Monday, May 01, 2006 2:24 PM
Here's a couple pics of the CSX up here in Canada.

Monday, May 01, 2006 2:33 PM
its still ugly even as an acura lol

Monday, May 01, 2006 4:18 PM
good another import off the road!!!!!!!!
Monday, May 01, 2006 5:34 PM
Do you not get more stuff with the RSX?

I seem to remember active yaw control and about 6-7 other major improvements.. I may be confusing the RSX Type-S, though...

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Monday, May 01, 2006 6:20 PM
I don't know, but either way, I'm sure the new replacement will be of nothing less than superior quality.

Monday, May 01, 2006 6:30 PM
that civic is ugly. the windshield is bigger than the hood!
Monday, May 01, 2006 10:02 PM
I think a TSX coupe would be awesome if it's priced right. I'm excited now.
Monday, May 01, 2006 10:41 PM
noooooooooooooo just when i get one they werent around long 4 years that sux!
its gonna be harder to find parts if needed at a junk yard
in 10 years no one will even remember them. Now mine is an antique lol

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:37 PM
A buddy of mine just got a black 06 with the A-Spec package. Now that theyre dead I'm sure he'll be pretty happy when it comes to trade time for the next car.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:44 AM
Jacob B wrote:good another import off the road!!!!!!!!

LOL the real funny thing is my 1991 import is much more luxorious, has much more potential and is much faster out of the box. but yea, kill all imports and everyone should drive the cheapest worst made american cars EVER!!! BTW chump you should read up a little more on who developed your precious cavalier.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 12:08 PM
Cmon man^ no need to argue with ignorant comments. Not all domestics are bad and not all imports are bad. But the RSX was a pretty sweet car. Ive always liked them in blue.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:20 PM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:

LOL the real funny thing is my 1991 import is much more luxorious, has much more potential and is much faster out of the box. but yea, kill all imports and everyone should drive the cheapest worst made american cars EVER!!! BTW chump you should read up a little more on who developed your precious cavalier.

You said essentially what I was thinking...now go back to high school and learn how to write

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:22 PM
acura > chevrolet

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 2:46 PM
Having bad luck with them on the road lately?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:09 PM
snoeterp82 wrote:
Kyle Kurtz wrote:

You said essentially what I was thinking...now go back to high school and learn how to write

oh man i type fast on the internet and mis spell a bunch of @!#$, thats crazy i must be one of them dumb people. how did i gradumaute college in june, i honestly dont know i i dids it, i best go backs to school.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:33 PM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:
snoeterp82 wrote:
Kyle Kurtz wrote:

oh man i type fast on the internet and mis spell a bunch of @!#$, thats crazy i must be one of them dumb people. how did i gradumaute college in june, i honestly dont know i i dids it, i best go backs to school.

sarcasm > you

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:41 PM
Course with the Civic Si, it was bound to happen, stupid Honda, its like taking the Cobalt, slapping in a 3900, and selling it for a little less than a G6 GTP, course the Cobalt will sell more, its a better performing car, and lighter. Smooth move by Honda, cant believe they killed there mainstay car with Acura...

Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:46 AM
meh, never liked the rsx anyways. if I was gonna go that route I would rather do a DC2 chassis anyways(lighter, smaller, more agile)

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:45 AM
The RSX was a really nice car... but i cant say i didnt see this coming. oh and DSM's are not more luxurious..... they may be faster out of the box, but what good does speed do when its sitting ina garage because of a crankwalk issue.....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search