Saturn PreVue concept - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn PreVue concept
Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:13 AM
http://www.j-body.org/gallery/gallery.php?eid=536&start=&sdir=Saturn+PreVue

(click above link for more pics)

PREVUE CONCEPT SHOWCASES NEW SATURN DESIGN DIRECTION

NEW YORK – The Saturn PreVue crossover concept – revealed today at the New York International Auto Show – continues Saturn’s ongoing product revitalization and provides a glimpse of future Saturn vehicle designs.

The three-door, four-wheel drive crossover offers a sporty interpretation of Saturn’s new design language and illustrates how it could be applied to a future version of Saturn’s highly successful Vue compact SUV.

The PreVue was collaboratively developed with GM’s Opel brand and was seen as the Opel Antara GTC concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2005. The vehicle is part of the ongoing cooperation between the Saturn and Opel brands.

"There is significant synergy between Opel and Saturn," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager. "Both brands play in similar market segments, have similar competitors and target similar customers in their respective regions."

Unveiled with the PreVue concept were three new production vehicles that will arrive at Saturn retailers in 2006: the Aura midsize sedan, Sky Red Line roadster and Outlook crossover utility.

The current generation of Saturn’s Vue continues to be popular, with more than 350,000 vehicles sold since the vehicle debuted in 2002.

The PreVue merges the seemingly contradictory design elements of a sporty coupe and a powerful SUV. Coupe-like features include the two doors and tailgate, along with a side window design sans B-pillar and an elegantly sloping roof. These cues combine with SUV characteristics such as powerful side shoulders and wheel cutouts; steeply inclined windows; stable flanks and short overhangs for large approach and departure angles.

“The PreVue is sporty, aggressive and emotional, and fits in perfectly with Saturn’s brand character,” said Phil Zak, PreVue design director. “ The result is a refined shape that conveys adventure and performance, even when stationary.”

Attention to detail is clear in the PreVue styling. In front, the crossover features a V-shaped brushed aluminum radiator grille, detailed, jewel-like headlamps and Saturn badging. The front and rear underside protection has been cut from solid aluminum, as has the edge protection strip in the luggage area.

In profile, frameless windows slope downward, accentuating its coupe-like silhouette, and louvers on the sides of the fenders fit into fine aluminum frames, much like the vents on the side of the engine hood and exhaust openings behind the doors.

An Everglade Mica green exterior features contrasting dark bumpers and bottom body strip. Inspiration for this body strip came from the soles of athletic shoes, and the pattern repeats on the accelerator and brake pedal surfaces.

Door handles retract flush with the body, and only slide out when the driver approaches the vehicle with a remote door opener.

On the roof, two silver strips flank the body-colored center strip, which separates two sunroofs and merges with the pantographic hinge that’s affixed to the tailgate. The innovative design moves up and forward when the tailgate opens – so drivers don’t have to step back when accessing the cargo area.

Front and rear headlamps consist of light-emitting diodes, which have a longer life and shorter response times than conventional lamps. The lamp units are smoothly integrated into the front fenders, and in the rear, they form a brilliant highlight in transition from side shoulder to rear.

Polished aluminum 20-inch wheels complete the package.

On the inside, generous use of warm tones and leather mix with carbon fiber seatbacks, as well as stainless steel and aluminum cockpit elements. Designers opted for a two-toned interior, with dark brown dominating the upper part of the instrument panel and door liners, with light beige lower areas, roof, seats and floors.

The panoramic roof system features two generously sized sunroofs for a bright, cheerful interior, with dark tinted glass protecting passengers from excessive sunlight. The center roof console, which runs the length of the vehicle, offers ample storage space. In addition, a specially designed leather storage bag can be moved along a rail between the front and rear seats, or removed for shopping or sightseeing.

The center console accommodates the transmission gear lever, which is ringed by brushed stainless steel; three large round glossy-black vents; and infotainment and HVAC controls, which are backlit in turquoise. The console incorporates handles at each side to accentuate the vehicle’s off-road character.

The instrument panel also is backlit in turquoise and encased in an aluminum housing. And instead of traditional carpeting, the floors are fitted with sisal, a ropelike natural fiber typically used in home interiors, for a stylish, durable look.

The four seats, mounted to monorails, appear to be floating atop the floor for a spacious, airy appearance. With the press of a button, the seats slide forward to the instrument panel so rear passengers can access the vehicle.

The rear seats fold away into the floor, and the sisal-lined cargo area can be folded flat up to the front seats, thanks to a moving double floor.

The PreVue is powered by a two-stage turbocharged 212-horsepower (156 kw) twin-turbo version of the Ecotec common-rail diesel engine. It features hefty torque at low engine speeds (295 lb.-ft. / 400 Nm @ 1400 rpm), and is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The transversely installed four-cylinder engine features dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and variable turbo blade geometry.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Saturn PreVue concept
Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:15 AM
very interesting

Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:22 AM
looks like a chrysler crossfire suv hybrid

Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:43 AM
woohoo for yet ANOTHER unnecessary SUV.

GO PATS!!!
Thursday, April 13, 2006 11:49 AM
that is what i told dave when i saw it , but he said is smaller than a a suv

so i guess its a raly version of the new ION

LOL

Thursday, April 13, 2006 12:00 PM
if that thing is roughly the size of a matrix = teh sex

id take it any day

The biggest hole, is the illusion of invulnerability.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:09 PM
That looks awesome, I'd take one of them anytime.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:18 PM
Told ya.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=96188&t=96188#96188
& TY Dave.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:40 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Told ya.
& TY Dave.

Yes and no. You showed us pics, and in fact here it is, but it is not the next Vue. It is considered a crossover, not an SUV. It is smaller then the Vue, and only has 3 doors. If it makes it to production, it will probably compete against vehicles such as the Vibe/Matrix, perhaps the Mazda 3 wagon, etc.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:48 PM
Oh one observation I just made about these pics... I thought the 2 looked similar and might even be the exact same vehicle, but I was even more surprised by what I found...

The Opel you posted a while back:

and the Saturn:

Pay careful attention to the background (mountains). Viva la Photoshop.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:09 PM
Looks like a Chrysler Crossfire and a Nissan Murano had some illicit relations...

Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:21 PM
Dave wrote:Oh one observation I just made about these pics... I thought the 2 looked similar and might even be the exact same vehicle, but I was even more surprised by what I found...

The Opel you posted a while back:

and the Saturn:

Pay careful attention to the background (mountains). Viva la Photoshop.

very nice photoshop at that so then is the prevue real or just a photoshop of the opel?

Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:58 PM
well saturn is becoming the US version of opel

the sky and the gt are the same cars except for the emblems

Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:36 PM
Dave wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Told ya.
& TY Dave.

Yes and no. You showed us pics, and in fact here it is, but it is not the next Vue. It is considered a crossover, not an SUV. It is smaller then the Vue, and only has 3 doors. If it makes it to production, it will probably compete against vehicles such as the Vibe/Matrix, perhaps the Mazda 3 wagon, etc.

Although this is a concept, hence the name PreVue, but it is also meant to replace current one. Saturn says in addition to hints at what the Vue might look like, the PreVue is also a look at the design intent for future Saturns. Also this vehicle is scheduled to replace the current Vue in a year or two. I understand Daewoo also helped on this one.
But like what I said on the previous thread, expect that Opel as a Saturn aswell.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:06 PM
The name PreVue could means that it comes before the Vue, or another way of putting it, it is smaller/lower in the model line as the Vue. Or, more likely, PreVue probably really means that this is a "preview" of Saturn's future stying. This isn't a preview of the next Vue, though, its a preview of the future of the company's styling. There is no way this thing could replace the Vue as it is, its too small.
Quote:

Saturn’s new design language and illustrates how it could be applied to a future version of Saturn’s highly successful Vue compact SUV.

Tells me that the next Vue could follow similar styling, but this is concept is not it. Eh, tomaytos and tomahtos, right? We're probably both saying the same thing but in different ways.

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:50 AM
I like it.. But I like the current Vue a lot more..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Friday, April 14, 2006 9:03 AM
Dave wrote:Eh, tomaytos and tomahtos, right? We're probably both saying the same thing but in different ways.

All I know you lost me. lol

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, April 14, 2006 5:54 PM
The Redneck wrote:woohoo for yet ANOTHER unnecessary SUV.
don't worry man.
it won't see production like 99.9tofreakingeternity% of GMs concepts

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built jeep
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search