Grand am with ecotec - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Grand am with ecotec
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:48 AM
What year did the Ecotec become available in the Grand Am, half way through 2002, or in 2003?

I've decided that I want to get rid of my 2004 Cavalier, I'm tired of standing out, being vandalized, and profiled cause my car is Orange, plus nothing good has happened to me since I got this car.

So I'm looking for either a Grand Am 4cyl Manual, or a 98-99 Civic coupe. But I'm not sure of what year Grand Am to look for.

Re: Grand am with ecotec
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:58 AM
came out in 02 just like the cavalier/sunfire

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:33 AM
Get the civic instead..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:27 PM
no get the grand am...definitly get the grand am

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:40 PM
lone_wolf wrote:Get the civic instead..

/slaps lone_wolf in the head.....STIMPY YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!

-Brandon

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:43 PM
my friends got a 97GT grand am with the 2.4 twin cam and the 5 speed tranny its a nice car. i would get a grand am. even if you go with the V6 there good on gas also if thats what your looking for.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:46 PM
redecocav wrote:
lone_wolf wrote:Get the civic instead..

/slaps lone_wolf in the head.....STIMPY YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!

A grand am with the 2.2 eco is going to feel heavy and slow, no matter how much money you dump into it.. I think a civic would be more fun to drive than a slow grand slam.. That's just imho though.

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:23 PM
civics are not known to be fast cars either... i kinda like the grand am. i would get the v6 though.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:07 PM
the v6 isnt a whole lot faster, they go through headgaskets ...plus theirs no option of a 5 speed as with the 00-01 2.4 or eco 02-05 ..i had the option of getting a 99 2.4 alero (same car pretty much ) or a 99 3.4 alero ...both 4dr and light blue...same price, i went with the 2.4 and am glad of it

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:37 PM
lone_wolf:

Actually, I've found that the 5spd is very nice... The ecotec has this mystical "TORQUE" thing that the civics of the same generation seem to be missing. Seriously, the 2.2 ecotec is a very smoooth engine when mated to the 5spd manual or the auto trans.

But what do I know... I've only had 5 N-bodies. (okay, okay, I've OWNED 4, and borrowed the 5th). I like the size and feel of them... Other than the problems that N's have (front disc brakes, LIM gaskets, suspension mounts in cold climate areas), they're great mid-sized cars.

Nik:
the 3400's haven't got Head gasket problems that I'm aware of... you might be thinking of lower intake manifold gaskets. The easiest way to prevent the problem is to torque down on the LIM bolts to 35 lbs/ft or more, and if the problem happens, the new gasket set is about $175 CDN, and it completely fixes the problem (it's a long job, but it's worth it).

The 2.4's have the same issues as the J's do... the only thing I find different is that the engine has to work harder at hwy spd to pass than the ecotec does... just my observations though.

I kinda the N's

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:41 AM
Go w/ the civic

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:35 AM
My mother has a 2002 Grand Am SE with an eco in it and I'm not sure how much the manual helps but I find myself unhappy every time I drive it. Perhaps I'm spoiled by being used to my car but I find the car slow (understandable compared to mine), the brakes are poor, the suspension is FAR too soft for the smoothness it provides, the seats are uncomforable and I find it slightly cramped inside and I'm only 6' tall (but I'm righteous y'all ) and yes, even compared to my car. The interior is awful, everyone harps about GM interior quality esp. on cars from a couple years ago, but the gaps are terrible. The one that bugs me the most are the gaps in the interior door handles, you could probably shove 3 quarters in that gap. My mother's specifically has been pretty problematic especially considering how lightly it is driven (it's my mom after all, the car doesn't even see 400 series highways unless I drive it) and how well it's taken care of (regular oil changes, etc). There are squeeks, and clunks and rattles all over the place. She's had it in with engine problems at least 4 times since buying it(new). O2 sensor, cat, plugs, front brakes and who knows what else have all been issues in her car and she's driven it maybe 50,000 kms.

Maybe my mom's case is an exception but import vs. domestic aside from my experience, get the civic.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:42 AM
Car and Driver had tested an Alero, with the 2.4L, and found that the manual was only a little slower then the V6 auto. Either way I'm not too worried about speed. As for reliability I can only go up from what I'm at now, this Cavalier hasn't been the best of cars, my dash squeeks so bad it you can't even drown it out with the radio crancked.

I have absolutely no interest in an automatic trans, so there'll be no V6 GA for me.
I'm trying to get a student loan too, so I can't have an expensive car, or they won't give me the loan.

I want something that will be reliable and decent on gas till I graduate in 3 years.
So I think I'm gonna put my Cav up for sale with a price that will pay off what I owe on it, and if it sells it sells, if it doesn't then I keep it.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:30 PM
Bruce:
I've seen good and bad, but my current Alero has over 250,000 kms, and while it's squeaking, it's not too bad... plus, I've owned a civic and had nothing but problems with it.. The dealership just acted like I was crazy, since it's impossible to have a bad Honda, so I dumped it.

Gotta take the good with the bad, I think your mom got a friday at 5 car.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:42 PM
civic's get stolen/broken into often as well... just some food for thought.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 5:35 PM
99 SiR coupe.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:03 PM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Bruce:
I've seen good and bad, but my current Alero has over 250,000 kms, and while it's squeaking, it's not too bad... plus, I've owned a civic and had nothing but problems with it.. The dealership just acted like I was crazy, since it's impossible to have a bad Honda, so I dumped it.

Gotta take the good with the bad, I think your mom got a friday at 5 car.

Hmm.. I'm thinking more like a thrusday at 5 car before a long weeknd. But, like I said I'm willing to accept that my mom's case is the exception rather than the rule. I know every make and model of car is gonna have their lemons MAYBE with the exception of a hand built exotic. I'm just offering up my experience with them.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 2:32 AM
go with the civic

Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:23 AM

Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:44 AM
yep 3400 V6 Grand am then turbo or S/C it V6s sound better than I4s

Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:25 AM
The problem is that the auto tranny in the v6's are real slushboxes.. Level 10 makes it a bit better though.

And the SC kit is only available through RSM Racing from what I've seen.

Bruce: That was what I was getting at

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search