Motorcycles - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motorcycles
Friday, March 24, 2006 11:05 PM
This isn't a motorcycle forum, that being said...

What's a good make of sporty motorcycles? (Crotch rockets)
Good beginning bike?
How long do they last, it seems like everyone I see has 2,200 miles on it.
Maintenance? Basically the same as a car?
Insurance? I'd buy in a couple years, so for a 20 yr old male, would insurance be a big deal? Very expensive?

Can you tell I have no idea about any of this? lol

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283

Re: Motorcycles
Friday, March 24, 2006 11:18 PM
I'm kinda in the same situation, interested, but not quite sure what to look for. It seems like insurance is really high. And I'm told that a 500cc is a good starter bike, not too expensive, and good for learning.
Friday, March 24, 2006 11:22 PM
if you want a good starter bike, this kid has it

see below

Saturday, March 25, 2006 6:08 AM
A good starter bike is generally a 500 or if you have sum previous bike experience like motocross a 600.

As far as a good sport bike, well that'll all be personal preferance. They are all so close in prformance that it's all about which you feel comfortable on.

As far as maintenance goes, more often than a car. Its common for sport bikes to run a wet clutch, using engine oil. So you will have all the contaminents from ur clutch in ur engine oil. Change it fairly often. Also you gotta keep you chain lubed, and all the basic stuff.

Bikes will last a long long time if they are taken care of. I know a guy with over 60,000 km's on his 01 R1. He goes everywhere on it. And we can only ride 4 months a year....hahahaha
Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:37 PM
I am getting one very soon.

I reccomend taking a Motorcycle Safety Course (MSC). I just signed up for one. In most places spots fill up quick this time of year so hurry. Most classes will teach you on a 250cc bike. I am going to see if the 250cc has enough power for my likings and if it does I can going to get a Ninja 250 (looks very similar to Ian Brown's)

(Thats Ian's hope ya don't mind me stealing you pic!)

Ian's is the 500cc Ninja. I know they have like the 500cc gixxers, and cbr's and stuff.

Maintance is covered above

Also to think about with a starter bike is get it used. This way if you drop it (I am willing to bet you will) then it wont be as bad.

Insurance, I have herd a mixed result. I have herd it is higher than a car, I have herd it is lower. In some place the MSC will lower your rates, aswell as the size of you bike. Just has cars bikes have classificatons (sp?). If they is an R in the name it will be higher, and the bigger the engine it will be higher...

Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:22 PM
Ian Brown Music wrote:if you want a good starter bike, this kid has it
see below
Still no buyer?! Should have went with the full lower cowl like I suggested....LOL...just playing!

What's a good make of sporty motorcycles? (Crotch rockets)...you answered your own question.
Good beginning bike? IMO.....500cc and up. I learned on an EX500(Ninja 500).
How long do they last, it seems like everyone I see has 2,200 miles on it.
Maintenance? Basically the same as a car? Jap bikes can take a beating and are pretty easy to maintain. Ducati....expensive to maintain....not for starters. Custom Choppers....expensive to maintain...not for starters. I thought my EX500 was easier to maintain than my car was.
Insurance? I'd buy in a couple years, so for a 20 yr old male, would insurance be a big deal? Very expensive? I had my bike around your age and it depends on your driving record. Mine was not bad, but I didn't have any tickets.....until I bought my bike.

FYI.....there are no 500cc CBRs or GSXRs unless you racing MotoGP or are Mick Doohan.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:06 PM
^Thanks for the correction, ment 600 for those

Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:08 PM
I was just messing with you.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:30 PM
I am telling you start with a 600 and up. Only cause you can matain resale value with it. 500s are not that desirable. A 600 will impress you for about 2 years, then you will want more. Thats why you see low miles on alot of them. People upgrade!

My whole family rides, including my mom,brother,father,and me. I have had 3 bikes, myself. 76' goldwing GL1000. 88 SECA 750. And now a 2003 Honda VFR 800 with Vtec.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search