VW Beetle question - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VW Beetle question
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:09 AM
My wife has a 2000 Beetle with 2.0 and I changed the oil the other day and noticed under the filler cap there is a yellow substance that feels like is thick and like grease, there is not grit to it or anything it just feels very greasy, Sometimes if you check the oil there will be a bit of it on the dipstick. Just wondering if any one would know what this is. Or know of a good VW site where i could get some info. All the Bug sites I have found are in German.

Thanks a Lot.

Re: VW Beetle question
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:27 AM
I've always wondered what that yellow stuff is. I've seen a bit of yellow greasy stuff under more then a few oil filler caps. (diffrent makes and modes) I dunno what it is. I doubt it is anything to worry about but if you find out post up I'd like to know.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Monday, January 16, 2006 10:33 AM
I think it's from condensation. I had this happen on my old Z24 and it looked like cappuccino on top of my dipstick. This only happened in the winter however.

Monday, January 16, 2006 10:50 AM
well thanks atleast I know someone knows what I am talking about. Good to know its nothing serious.
thanks
Monday, January 16, 2006 8:07 PM
the foamy looking @!#$ is simply mousture in the oil... its nothign to be concerned about its normal(I'm a VW tech, 1/2 the cars I see a day have that @!#$ in the oil cap)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:30 AM
I noticed the same stuff under my oil cap too.. Probably just condensation from being so cold lately..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:35 AM
UpstateNyZ24 wrote:I think it's from condensation. I had this happen on my old Z24 and it looked like cappuccino on top of my dipstick. This only happened in the winter however.

DING DING!!! The Dodge 4.7L V8 is known for this especially.... Chrysler got so many call about it that they added a restrictor into the oil filler neck to try to minimize its appearance on the cap. Nothing to worry about, just clean off the cap and put it back on.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:52 AM
Hmm so I should wipe the cap off from time to time?

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search