GM's RWD platform including Camaro info - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM's RWD platform including Camaro info
Monday, January 16, 2006 11:47 AM
For General Motors Vice Chairman Robert Lutz, the Chevrolet Camaro concept car tops the list of possible vehicles in the automaker's lineup of mid-priced to premium-priced, rear-drive cars for North America.
GM will select vehicles for the program within six months. Production will begin in 2008 or 2009.

Speaking of the Camaro he drove onstage last week at the Detroit auto show, Lutz said, "I know where it fits in the overall enthusiasm ranking. If it was a question of what would you like to do, I would obviously do this one first."
But, he added, "We can't always follow our enthusiasm. We have to do what's right for the business."
GM will weigh the Camaro, as well as the next-generation Chevrolet Impala and a Buick sedan in the rwd car program. The Buick, Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn brands are under consideration for rear-drive models.
"We have a big plan for rear-wheel drive," says Gene Stefanyshyn, vehicle line executive for what GM now calls its global rwd architecture. GM previously called the architecture Zeta.

GM needs to fill the rwd gap between its small, sporty rwd cars, such as the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, and rwd luxury vehicles such as the Cadillac CTS, STS and SRX.
The company delayed plans for mid-sized rwd vehicles last year. Meanwhile, competitors have scored strong sales of rwd cars such as the Ford Mustang and Chrysler 300.

GM is confident that the Camaro will appeal to baby boomers who remember the original. But will it appeal to younger buyers?
Lutz enthusiastically supports the Camaro concept that he unveiled Jan. 9 during the Detroit auto show.

If produced, the Camaro would feature a standard V-6 engine and one or two V-8s, Lutz says. It would be priced competitively with the Mustang.
GM revived its rwd plans late last summer after halting efforts to develop North American vehicles on Zeta last winter. Last winter, GM executives said that the initial plan for the Zeta vehicles was not workable but pledged to develop a new strategy.

Possible Zeta vehicles included the Buick Velite concept, Pontiac GTO and Impala.
Stefanyshyn would not reveal the entire lineup under consideration but said the next-generation Impala "is a possibility."

GM's styling studio has prepared both rear- and front-drive versions of the next Impala, according to an industry source who did not want to be identified.
The engineering of the new group of vehicles will be handled by GM's Holden subsidiary in Australia, which built the Holden Monaro that is the basis for the current Pontiac GTO.

The architecture will debut in the second half of this year on a redesigned Holden model. GM also is considering a rwd model for China.
Stefanyshyn was named vehicle line executive for the Zeta architecture a year ago. After the program stalled, he canceled plans to move to Australia. Now that the program has been revived, he will relocate to Australia in February and restart the vehicle development program for North America.

GM vehicles on the global rwd architecture will have long wheel-bases and short overhangs. All-wheel drive will be available. The Camaro and Velite, a convertible concept introduced at the 2004 New York auto show, demonstrate the possibilities for the architecture.

Stefanyshyn says the global rwd architecture can be used for a wide range of vehicles. Vehicles will be assembled in Australia and North America.
But Opel no longer is considering such a car, says Hans Demant, managing director of Adam Opel AG.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: GM's RWD platform including Camaro info
Monday, January 16, 2006 11:54 AM
AH, HA ! IF THEY BUILD IT !!! I told you not to trust GM ! I told you !

I hope I'm wrong about them not building it but I was right on the time table ! 4 - 5 years off.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:03 PM
it would be nice...

one problem though. GM promised one of their plants in Canada...(cant remember which one now for the life of me)...that if the Camro was ever to be remade, it would be built in Canada.

unfortunatly, i think that was one of the Oshawa plants. nothing against those plants, but they make FWD's now, the plant will have to be remade to produce the new RWD vehicle.
Monday, January 16, 2006 12:10 PM
Quote:

For General Motors Vice Chairman Robert Lutz, the Chevrolet Camaro concept car tops the list of possible vehicles in the automaker's lineup of mid-priced to premium-priced, rear-drive cars for North America.

that is my biggest problem. as the other thread about the camaro stated...the camaro is going to be built off of the same chasis as the GTO. we are hoping for a car to compete with the mustang in the lower 20K price range...the GTO is nowhere near that. i can't see them using the GTO chasis, having the power they say it'll have, and being a decent car for anywhere near even 30K. if the camaro is NOT aimed at the Mustang price range, it'll disappear in a few years and be a limited production vehicle...which sucks.

GO PATS!!!
Monday, January 16, 2006 12:11 PM
i say f-da canadians , and build the dam camaro already

LOL

sorry guys , but the car needs to be back ASAFP

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:18 PM
The Redneck wrote:
Quote:

that is my biggest problem. as the other thread about the camaro stated...the camaro is going to be built off of the same chasis as the GTO. we are hoping for a car to compete with the mustang in the lower 20K price range...the GTO is nowhere near that. i can't see them using the GTO chasis, having the power they say it'll have, and being a decent car for anywhere near even 30K. if the camaro is NOT aimed at the Mustang price range, it'll disappear in a few years and be a limited production vehicle...which sucks.

Ok here you go the Price can go down and here is how.

GTO's are shipped here from Austrailia not so cheap.

Camro's will sell with V6's and possible 2 types of V8's (V6's are cheaper)

Chevy brand is lower priced than Pontiac.

Mass production will lower prices.

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:20 PM
hopefully the next gen of them won't gome with mullet wigs on the seat and The Fabulous Thunderbitrds in the CD player.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, January 16, 2006 1:03 PM
Hmmm, the Dodge Challenger in about a year and a half, The Camaro in about 4 or 5
years...........Way to go GM for being an industry leader and ......... Oh wait, Way to go Dodge for being an industry leader and.......

Monday, January 16, 2006 2:59 PM
You do know it is '06 and not '03 don't you lol

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:12 PM
4th Gen LS1 F-Bodies are still owning the streets.

We go things covered nicely until the new one comes out.

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Monday, January 16, 2006 7:48 PM
NfamousZ24 wrote:You do know it is '06 and not '03 don't you lol

^^Thank-you.

The man thinks that this is 80's-90's GM. I think `ol Jacky is the only one in this world that thinks that the Camaro will not come out. Let him be. lol@ him.

All in all, from the looks of it, everything seems to be a go. The only thing left is Bob Lutz to give the green light.
Watch for Spring/Summer time for an official announcement, if not earlier.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 5:15 AM
YEEeees, I'mm the onnllllyyyy one in thee whole wide world. right along with everyone else at the dealership I work at except ONE lone guy. And all the people I've spoken with at the other local dealers as well.

And I know its not the same GM from the 80's and 90's and the time estimate I gave is based on the Solstice and how long it took from concept to dealers floor.

I think its more likely your upset that someone actualy doubts the press release that you reported on as anything more then wishful thinking. I'm not saying your makeing anything up Goodwrench I just doubt GM's ability to follow thru with it.

But before you start flaming me again I would like YOU to please update us as to when we can see the CTS V PLUS on dealer lots ? And the 600 + HP Corvette known as the
"Blue Devil" Or how about when we can expect the mid engine Corvette, The Pontiac Banshee or any others of those wonderful concept cars brought to us by the wonderful GM and so highly praised by the automotive press who exclaimed we could see them in dealerships with a few years. Where are they ? I look around in the showroom and see no such wonder vehicles ? Hmmm, does this perhapps mean the Camaro is NOT the sure thing that your all thinking it is ? I don't know I don't have a cyrstal ball and neither do you, any of you.

So if you all want to keep hope alive hey fine by me. But like I said I'll believe it when I see it pull on my showrooms floor.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:56 AM
I think a RWD impalla and buick sedan would also be hit's

seems to be the big thing....i think that big baby boomer generation is getting older and want biger, classic american type of cars=RWD and comfort

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:05 AM
Only thing that scares me is some young kid who has always driven 4cyl FWD cars, then gets behind the wheel of a V8 RWD car.. And it's snowing out and the roads are slippery.. You can see where I'm going with this..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:57 AM
/\ /\ /\ yeah, into a tree!

I agree with the Impala but what abouot the Monte Carlo ? and possibly a Chevelle ?
GM has an opperutunaty here to really turn GM back into an enthuseists car company rather then one that just builds A-B cars.

I hope they do.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:47 PM
rear drive impala and buick , means GM would get back the police and law enforcement back

i know how alot of them hate the fords

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:51 PM
Jackalope wrote:YEEeees, I'mm the onnllllyyyy one in thee whole wide world. right along with everyone else at the dealership I work at except ONE lone guy. And all the people I've spoken with at the other local dealers as well.

The problem with that statement is that 99% of the people that work at the dealerships that don't have a clue and don't know what they are talking about.

Salespeople: Know how to sell cars

Service people: Some know how to fix cars without a book but most need a book.

Parts guys: Know how to look up numbers on a computer and find that part by it's number on the self.

But this is just something that I have noticed expecially with the blowhards from Dealerships that come on this site spouting crap.

If we were to belive what those people at the dealership we would be getting a RWD Cobalt SS (LMAO Classic)

Usually there is 1 guy that knows what they are talking about and you seem not to be that one guy.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:27 PM
Alright MR I build them so I know all. Where is our CTS V PLUS ? Or how about the 600+ hp Corvette ? Or better yet where is that mid engined Corvette that evryone said was "going to make it" ? NO WHERE ! thats where. This car is just a CONCEPT that means it may or may not be built.

Now since you are the expert as to what GM is going to build where are the above mentioned cars ? Hmmm ? The CTS already exists so all you would need to do is slap a blower on it and Boom ! CTS V PLUS. So I don't get it, the platform already exists, Hell your building the car so where are they ? I seem to remember oh about 9
months to maybe a year ago the press was all over the thing saying it gunning for BMW's. Well when I look in the Cadillac showroom I see none. WHY ?

Perhaps before you start trying to throw insults at me you actualy read what I've said.
I'll make it short and simple for you ..... I said "I'm not gonna hold my breath". I hope they do but untill I see it on the floor I'm not gonna start saveing my money. Now why does that make me anything other then causious in regards to what I think GM may or may not build ?

If they make it great ! But I don't know what your problem is and the others that can't seem to grasp why I'm not jumping up and down celebrating like you all are. Please explain this to me. Why should I get all excited when I've watched GM drop the ball sooo many times in the past ? Hmmmm ? GM has had hits on there hands before but then NEVER followed thu with them but I'm suposed to get all worked up when they build a concept car ? WHY ?

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:45 PM
Well I never said that all of the cars that you mentioned will going to be produced. But I will tell you this I am 99% Positive that it will be built. What will that 1% be well if all of the sudden RWD cars just stopped selling for some reason.

Now I will tell you this there is a better chance of GM building that Camao then DCX building that Challanger. Say what you will but like I said before many of us on the .org has learned whatever a person from a Dealership says is going to happen. You can bet the opposite will.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:47 PM
And Yes I work at a factory and guess what I hear news before you do if you like it or not.

Heck even the plant I work at is looking into building it. Haha Bring the Camaro back to Ohio. Woot

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:46 PM
whitegoose wrote:it would be nice...

one problem though. GM promised one of their plants in Canada...(cant remember which one now for the life of me)...that if the Camro was ever to be remade, it would be built in Canada.

no no no no no no no no no no no... they can build the damn thing wherever they want.

Jackalope wrote: But before you start flaming me again I would like YOU to please update us as to when we can see the CTS V PLUS on dealer lots ? And the 600 + HP Corvette known as the "Blue Devil" Or how about when we can expect the mid engine Corvette, The Pontiac Banshee or any others of those wonderful concept cars brought to us by the wonderful GM and so highly praised by the automotive press who exclaimed we could see them in dealerships with a few years. Where are they ? I look around in the showroom and see no such wonder vehicles ? Hmmm, does this perhapps mean the Camaro is NOT the sure thing that your all thinking it is ?

there is a big difference between the camaro and those other cars. IMO you cant compare the camaro being produced to an upgraded-already upgraded cadillac and a corvette. Not sure what the banshee is but I could give two @!#$s about it. The point is those cars (minus banshee) already have "lesser" models of themselves out and having another one wouldnt make sense at all.

If the camaro was out and we were talking about a camaro SSOMFGWTFBBQ 572ci you can buy off the showroom floor than MAYBE you'd make sense... its a @!#$ CAMARO for christ sake

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:28 PM
The Banshee was supposed to be the replacement for the last gen Fire Birds. The other cars were supposed to be ready to go but never did.

Nfamous Z, I've never claimed to know everything GM is doing or planning to do or that I even know why they done things in the past all I said was I'm not holding my breath.
I don't understand why any of you have taken offence to that statement at all. Just like I said I'll believe it when I see it, again, why all the pissy atitudes? I don't get you guys GM has shown off killer concept cars since for as long as I can remember and very few see production and the ones that do are useually nothing like the concepts were. The Solstice is the first one I can remember that actualy made it and still looked like the car we all saw a few years back. Now knowing GM's and all the major car manufacturers and the way they hardly ever build what the concepts are maybe you can understand my skeptisism as to the actual outcome of this perticular concept car.

So go ahead and bitch at me all you like but one fact remains....... the car is just a concept and only in the "what if" stages. True I'd love to see the Camaro and the Fire Bird return but I'll just wait to see what happens before I start jumping up and down.
Is that ok with you all ?

Geez! I swear you guys can bitch about anything! A guy says I'll believe it when he sees it and you get pissed at that ? Come on ! You have better things to worry about then what I think GM may or may not one day build ! Do you see how silly this is ? YOUR getting mad at me for something that may or may not be built !!! You guys are too much.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:49 PM
i say bring it on but bring back the chevelles too..

. member 1244or55
.http://www22.ocn.ne.jp/~cavalier
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:58 AM
Funny you should mention the Chevelle. When Hot Rod mag took those GTO's and made there own version of a retro Chevelle they tried to get the name Chevelle to use from GM. GM's answer to them was that they had just re-newed the trademark and re-registered the name Chevelle for possible future use.

So who knows? But it would be awesome ! Can you guys imagine, going to a Cjevy dealership and seeing Camaros and Chevelle's again. Pontiac has the GTO and who knows mabe a Fire Bird won't be too far behind. Dodge has the Charger and it looks like the Challanger may be comeing. Ford with the Mustang and the GT. I'd say these are the good old days for cars once again. To be honest, I never thought I'd see them return.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:41 AM
First it was, "Camaro will never happen as a concept nor reality," (for now you are half wrong) now it's "I won't hold my breath."

And you know what, it is fine-- no problem. But then you start mentioning other concepts that you claim never came into reality.
Correction to that statement. The concepts that GM comes out for production are then "watered down." And for the obvious reason too (cost, safety, gov't regulations, etc)

You seem to forget (or just plainly don't know) in current times:
[of the top of my head]
SSR
Solstice
Aztek
G6
Aura
Alero-(1998)
Aurora (1994)
Evoq-XLR
SRX
Just to name a few.

And you mention the Banshee, but you do know that concept inspired the 1993 Tran-Am/Firebird?

It is o.k. to form your opinion and say “(I) don’t think it will come out.”
But to say “It will never come out” because X & X reason on every single thread starts to get annoying.

Yes, there have been concepts that has not come out. But keep in mind most of the time when car manufactures does a concept, it shows to the public where they are heading. If there is enough public enthusiasm, it will see production.

Like I said before, as of now, the Camaro has it all in favor for production:
Engine--Check
Design--Check
Platform (multiple available)--Check
Public Enthusiasm-- Check
Market-- Check
Competition-- Check
Nostalgia-- Check

All it needs is approval from Robert Lutz.
BTW, did you even read the issue of this thread?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search