Need some help with tough decision.... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some help with tough decision....
Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:42 AM
Well, I took my old truck in to the shop the other day, as it wouldn't start. Turns out the fuel pump is gone, the tank is leaking and the brakes are shot. Not to mention a few other things that are slipping my mind right now. The total estimate to get this thing back up and running would be anywhere between $2-3,000. (this is NOT a BS estimate, my dad has dealt with the mech for 25 years, and he was never screwed with us) Now this truck has been in the family since 1990, and the last thing I want is to see it gone, but is it really worth putting 3g's into a truck that is not worth $1,000 to sell?

So anyhow, here is where I am sitting. I really like having the GTP around, it is nice when you need room for 4 or 5 people, it is comfortable and good on gas for the long trips. But if I let the truck go, I need to get something else with 4wd, as I refuse to not have it.

So, should I keep the truck and fix it, and keep the GTP? Or, should I get ride of the truck, keep the GTP and buy another older 4x4 that may end up in big problems right away too? Or, should I scrap the truck, sell the GTP and get a full-size truck or SUV, like and EXT-CAB Silverado, or maybe a Yukon?

Anyhow, that about sums up where I am right now. What would you do, if you were in my situation?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: Need some help with tough decision....
Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:27 AM
I'd say if the truck is needed, then just fix it. If you can't afford to fix it all right away, maybe u can wait a litle bit.

Maybe talk to the mechanic and see if he can find u parts cheaper or reduce the labour a little.

Ryan1

Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:06 AM
all depends, how good is the motor and body? if thats all in good shape and you like the truck (apparently you do) I would keep it, otherwise look for something newer

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:15 AM
Body is crap, tones of rust. Engine runs well now, but it is pushing 400,000. So who know how much life is left.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search