New Project for this Winter - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Project for this Winter
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:37 PM
Here is my winter project, 88 Thunderbird with the 5.0L..Got it for $1000, needs a new tranny, it has 73,583 miles. I took some pics before I started the tranny swap(sorry it's my camera phone,digi is MIA). There is some rust on the fender that is gettin fixed and the bodykit is gettin fixed as there are several small cracks and I think I'll probably repaint it. Comments?

Re: New Project for this Winter
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:41 AM
i love thunderbirds, they are just so heavy. like the kit! and the price
hopefully you can throw a manual in it, auto's are slush boxes, ive had 2 thunderbirds.
Good Luck!
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:43 AM
nice
if you repaint it, keep it white

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 9:03 AM
Looks good white. Get her all fixed up, and throw some 5.0L goodies in her. :p Have fun! Looks like a good project.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:52 AM
I really wanna do a 5 spd swap, but I'm not sure how much of a pain in the ass that would be to go through. I'm startin to look into the goodies I can put under the hood, first I beleive will be headers and exhaust to make her sound pretty, and yes it will be staying white, paint is jsut spiderwebbing in a few places..Thanks for the comments keep em coming.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:52 PM
i only ask you change the wheels, make em bigger and less hideous

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:10 PM
Find the turbo model, and swap.
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:02 PM
thoughthardtocomeupwiththis wrote:Find the turbo model, and swap.

are you smoking crack?

Had to change sig because some dickhead is mad it went 1 letter over size
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:03 PM
^^^ you mean the supercharged model. and yes do a swap.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:09 PM
Turbo coupes came out in Feb 1983, and lasted until 1988. The supercharged model came out in 1989, along with the body restyle.
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:12 PM
i almost got a t bird for my first car.

-Borsty

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:27 PM
yeah I'd thought about either a s/c or swappin in a turbo but cash is a little tight..I'll see where I sit after body work,tune up(all new fluids), tranny, etc. I really do wanna change the wheels on it..they don't look as bad up close but they are still..yeah..I think an ss or cowl hood would look hot..

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:35 AM
it is totally not worth swapping the 5.0 for the turbo 2.3
for the money it would cost to do that you could make the 5.0 faster
and dont get a cowl hood, please lord, do not get a cowl hood

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:05 AM
Do the tremec 5 speed swap. there are butt loads of companys that offer parts for an auto to manual swap...i know its not the same car, but when i got my mustang i wanted to do an 5 speed swap but ended up finding a smoking deal on a brand new ford AOD that was sitting on a dealer shelf for 9-10 years. i still regret keeping the auto.

and dont swap out the 5.0. for alot less money than the turbo/supercharged swap you can make that motor haul.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:04 PM
Yeah I'm gettin a rebuilt AOD tranny for $300..can;t really pass it up..I really wish I could do the 5 spd swap..If I change the hood I def. think it will be an SS hood..but yes the 5.0 is stayin in and gettin some goodies..thanks for the feedback guys

Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:30 PM
Totally missed the "5.0" mentioned in the first post.

Those have potential, and lots of aftermarket. Pass on the turbo idea.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:40 PM
Swap out the lo po engine you have for a high performance version from a Mustang or later model Lincoln Mark VII. Doing the whole swap is a very cheap way to gain the 75 hp you are losing to the Mustangs (from 150 to 225).
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:08 AM
just an update..I got the new tranny in, all new fluids, and changed the warped rotors, got the body work done,and had it sent in for paint, should be done later today. Getting repainted in white. I'll try to snap some pics later, but will probably just be with my camera phone. I'll try and get my friend's digital cam this weekend.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search