2006 Cobalt SS S/C test drive...my thoughts - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2006 Cobalt SS S/C test drive...my thoughts
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:19 PM
Well took out a new cobalt SS out for a test drive for 45 mins today. the salesman just handed me and my friend the key and said take it for a drive. it was fully loaded even with the LSD package. it was a lot of fun to drive, but i tohught it was gonna be a lot quicker then it was. i mean hell it will beat the snot out of my car but i expected more. overall i liked the car and looking forward to the day i can get one.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001

Re: 2006 Cobalt SS S/C test drive...my thoughts
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:23 PM
Dunno but other weekend. I got faded by one on way home. Damn he didnt roll up on me. I looked seen what was. Then i heard it spool and gone. Didnt even bother trying. Haven't drove one yet i can only magine. If gm built it there has to be some flaws. Looks killer compared to cavi's though.

Another day in the life of a J-body Owner has come upon us
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:34 PM
my dad got the new cobalt ss s/c, it is fun to drive and i think it is pretty fast, but i should be alot quicker when my dad gets the stage II kit.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092536
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:43 PM
i mean the cobalt was fast but i was expecting to feel more torque then i did. i could have listened to that s/c all day long. i was just thinking about how quick the cobalt was and made me think how much better my car is gonna feel since it will be faster then that, when i turbo this year. mmmm boost i'm addicted.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:55 PM
if you woulda done a search for other posts about test drives , you woulda know they lack power on the lots

dealers put 87 in them instead of 91 or better , and the drive by wire kills the feel of power tell you get used to it

allthough i can say ive had the pleasure of beating a few at the track with my cav

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:16 PM
besides the 87 octane, the SS doesn't "feel" as fast as a turbo car making the same hp, because the torque curve is flat and doesn't have the spike that a turbo does.... I took a ride in Dennis' (EastCoastCSS) SS with 2.8" pulley, full exhaust, intake, etc... and i actually had to look at the speedometer vs the tach for a good indication of the acceleration... since it keeps pulling harder the farther you rev it, it is very deceptively quick, especially since it such a smooth engine... But yeah, the s/c whine is tits

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:31 PM
Yea the Drive by Wire feels like $hit, but people with my same setup are now running 13.8's. And that was the 3" pulley I have on. The 2.8" gose on when GM releases Stage 1 and 2 which should be any day now. Jay when is the next meet?

Modds:
GM Stage 2 with SFPHQ 2.8 pulley
Injen Intake
GM Dual Pass Aftercooler w15psi Surge Tank
GMPP Exhaust Manifold
CTi 3" Downpipe and Cat
Custom 3" Cat Back with Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler
ZZ Engine Mount
ZZ Front Trans Mount
B&M Shifter
NGK BKR7E Plugs
DC Strut Tower Brace

Soon to be installed:
2.6 pulley, Siemens 60lbs Injectors, NGK 2 Step Colder Plugs
Tune Time Custom Dyno Tune

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:19 PM
East05CSS wrote:Yea the Drive by Wire feels like $hit, but people with my same setup are now running 13.8's. And that was the 3" pulley I have on. The 2.8" gose on when GM releases Stage 1 and 2 which should be any day now. Jay when is the next meet?

Damn I wished you lived a little closer. I've been dying to race another fast cobalt but all the other on the island seem slow to me. I' might have to make a trip out there to New jersey.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:25 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]if you woulda done a search for other posts about test drives , you woulda know they lack power on the lots

dealers put 87 in them instead of 91 or better , and the drive by wire kills the feel of power tell you get used to it

allthough i can say ive had the pleasure of beating a few at the track with my cav

Also, isn't the boost limited till the engine reaches 3000 miles?

First of all, I'd like to thank certain JBO'ers for being such Cobalt-nut-sucking tools.
Secondly, I'd like to thank Travis Kearny and Jordan Kruger for being so entertaining.

I <3 falnfenix, JimmyZ, Borsty, NJHK, and all the other intelligent people on JBO

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:36 PM
yeah it is for the first 1000 miles.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:05 PM
actually the cars ive driven , have all hit 11-12 psi with less than 15 miles on them

the motors also need miles on them to break them in

even the 2.2eco in the cavs needed a few thouhsand miles to start running good

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:09 PM
sorry but this talk of the stage x and stage x kits for the cobalts already pisses me off they can already upgrade the cobalt s/c but they cant put out a plain basic s/c kit for the 2.2 eco which has been out for almost 4 yrs now B.S.

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:42 PM
East05CSS wrote:Yea the Drive by Wire feels like $hit, but people with my same setup are now running 13.8's. And that was the 3" pulley I have on. The 2.8" gose on when GM releases Stage 1 and 2 which should be any day now. Jay when is the next meet?

hahaha my bad thought it was the smallest one available... next meet i think is 21st at freehold mall, details should be appearing in the Jbody Meets and/or Events forum soon if they haven't already... And yeah drive by wire sucks....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:08 AM
There is a meet on the 15th and 21st both at the Freehold mall I'm hearing.

Modds:
Injen Intake
GMPP Exhaust Manifold
CTi 3" Downpipe and Cat
ZZ Engine Mount
ZZ Front Trans Mount
B&M Shifter
NGK BKR7E Plugs
DC Strut Tower Brace

Soon to be installed:

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:09 AM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:hahaha my bad thought it was the smallest one available... next meet i think is 21st at freehold mall, details should be appearing in the Jbody Meets and/or Events forum soon if they haven't already... And yeah drive by wire sucks....

I think i'm going to actually try to make it out to that meet. I work till 7 on sundays but won't be so bad to meet some people from jersey. Its an hour and 44 min trip from where i am on longisland. kinda sucks.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:16 AM
East05CSS wrote:There is a meet on the 15th and 21st both at the Freehold mall I'm hearing.

Which one are you going to? I wanna meet up

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:17 AM
aren't you on ss.net?

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:21 AM
Yea Im on .net. And as money is tight and can't hit the clubs I might try to hit both meets as long as nothing comes up.

Modds:
Injen Intake
GMPP Exhaust Manifold
CTi 3" Downpipe and Cat
ZZ Engine Mount
ZZ Front Trans Mount
B&M Shifter
NGK BKR7E Plugs
DC Strut Tower Brace

Soon to be installed:

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:25 AM
East05CSS wrote:Yea Im on .net. And as money is tight and can't hit the clubs I might try to hit both meets as long as nothing comes up.

Thats cool than lets meet up if you don't mind. But i rather talk on .net. I hate posting on the org website seems outdated or somehting. can't even edit posts.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:00 AM
Yea i'll most likely be at one or both of these meets.

Modds:
Injen Intake
GMPP Exhaust Manifold
CTi 3" Downpipe and Cat
ZZ Engine Mount
ZZ Front Trans Mount
B&M Shifter
NGK BKR7E Plugs
DC Strut Tower Brace

Soon to be installed:

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:28 AM
04eco (theN/Aautoone) wrote:sorry but this talk of the stage x and stage x kits for the cobalts already pisses me off they can already upgrade the cobalt s/c but they cant put out a plain basic s/c kit for the 2.2 eco which has been out for almost 4 yrs now B.S.

the stage upgrades are not out yet

gm is doing business as usual , they are behind

which is also why im doing a set up off the cobalts for the g/f's cav

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search