Question about GM VINS - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about GM VINS
Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:09 AM
Is there a way or place I can go on the net or somewhere that I can get what my vehicle was loaded out with from the factory? I bought it used, and when I got it, there was no remote key fobs that came with it. I bought some off ebay and took them to the dealer because the programming of them requires a BCM or some kind of dealer module??? Anyhow, I didn't want to dick with it...

The Dealership tells me that the car never came with remotes... I was astounded (I thought all Olds V6's with power locks and windows had remotes)...

Anyhow, if anyone could tell me where I can find out the vehicle load out (or better yet, where to find out how I could program remotes for a 2000 Olds Alero ), I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks in advance all!

If it's not network news, it's probably the truth getting out.

Some people are like slinkies: Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them
down a flight of stairs.

Re: Question about GM VINS
Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:33 AM
where to find out how I could program remotes for a 2000 Olds Alero

I know it says 2000+ J cars, but you need to dealer to use the TEC 2 to add this feature if your Alero has that option.

For 2000+ J-cars
Take your vehicle to a GM dealer. The Tech 2 Diagnostic Tool is required for reprogramming 2000+ keyless entry remotes.

As for the options to see what your car was loaded with there will be a sticker on the car that will list a bunch of codes that will tell you what the car came with. In a J its in the trunk spare tire cover. Not sure on other cars.

Ryan1

Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:41 AM
I should have read your post more thoroughly...

My friends 2004 Alero didn't come with remotes but has power locks. What GM started to do in later years was not include certain modules into vehicles that weren't going to be outfitted with all the "bells and whistles"

For example: I had a friend who had a 2000+ venture and he wanted to install factory cruise control. Took it to the dealer and dealer told him that his van wasn't equipped with the programming for cruise, and he would need another module in order to add the cruise feature. They told him simply adding the parts for the cruise won't work as there weren't connectors for the electrical, and that vehicles weren't being retrofitted with all the optioned components any longer. So he said he would install an aftermarket one.

That's just one example.

Ryan1

Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:41 AM
It's not there on my car...

down a flight of stairs.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:24 PM
Ahh... okay.. I gotcha

I'm going to get a remote starter on the car in the spring anyhow, so it's about $100 more for the remote door lock module... I can live with that.

down a flight of stairs.
Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:37 PM
That's what my friends did on there 2004 alero. Added a remote starter and got keyless and trunk release

Ryan1

Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:24 PM
I figured.

I've gotta get a new stereo installed as well, so I figure I may as well kill 2 birds with one bazooka.

down a flight of stairs.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search