Choosing a project car - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Choosing a project car
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:27 PM
Hey, I don't normally come here in the section but recently I've been on the fence for plans in the future. I have a 2001 z24 as my daily driver, and I'm afraid if i start working on the engine or something else I may have it out of action for too long. So I am now contemplating buying a cheap car, and just working on it in my garage when I can.

So was coming to you guys for suggestions for a nice cheap car with a decent amount of performance. Eventually after a few years of work I'd like to reach maybe high 12's to maybe mid 13's (just to give an idea, not necessarily meaning its a track car at all). Granted I know this will take a lot of time, money, patience, elbow grease, but I think I'll be able to do it, might just take a while.

One suggestion Im currently considering is a Ford probe.

The year range for the car is around late 80's to mid 90's to keep the price range down. Reasonable mileage and under $2000 (USD)

Just looking for names of cars that tend to be in that range.

IE - 1989 Z24

Thanks for the help guys~

Re: Choosing a project car
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:28 PM
gts probe with high compression and 5 psi boost around here was walkin 3kgt vr4s

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:32 PM
Anything you can drop an LSx into.

FD/C RX7.

LS1Tech | F-Body.com | Eastern F-Body Association | Toronto F-Body Club
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:36 PM
Any particular year for the probe Articzap?

What would be some ideas for the LSx swap JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE?

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:40 PM
Buy a FC RX7. They go for like 1-2K.
Buy an LS1. They go for 2-3K.
Buy the mounting kit and accompanying BS. They go for 2K.

Done.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:43 PM
"Cheap car as a project you don't need as a daily driver" and doesn't involve any engine swaps or crazy stuff right off the bat to get to work?

Not to be a fanboy but this is the one situation 1g dsms are made for. 2k will get you something pretty nice by their standards too. But trying something different/unique would be cool too if you go a different route.
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:43 PM
miata with an LS1

View my MySpace
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:48 PM
Miatas are a little to compact for me,

Quote:

"Cheap car as a project you don't need as a daily driver" and doesn't involve any engine swaps or crazy stuff right off the bat to get to work

That just about sums it up in better words than I could summon up before.

and excuse the newb question...

1g dsm?

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:50 PM
Dont waste your money.

Buy something worthwhile instead of some POS 'project' car in which the only 'project' youll be undertaking is to keep it running.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:52 PM
So you would strongly suggest that FC Rx7 over anything Jinxed huh? I'll definitely keep that in mind someone is willing to stand by it so strongly.

Still open for other possible suggestions though guys, thanks again~

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:59 PM
Quote:

1994 Rio Red Probe GT
5 sp
Grey leather interior, power everything incl. sunroof
Clean title, currently registered and inspected in NYS

Gauge cluster reads a lil over 102k, the actual mileage is a lil lower (94k) but the previous owner broke one of the needles when he was installing the white face gauges, so this isn't the original cluster

- PMO Stage 3 turbo kit, includes spearco fmic, garrett t3/t4, greddy type s bov, tial external wastegate LESS THAN 1500 MILES ON TURBO KIT
- Vortec 12:1 FMU
- MSD blaster II coil w/accel HEI mod
- Walbro 255 pump
-aeromotive fpr w/ dual feed setup (not installed but can be included)
-Pheno spacers (intake mani and tb)
-Borla catback
-Slimline fans
-Poly mount inserts
- NGK plugs/wires (plugs one step colder than stock)
-ACT street/strip clutch
-Fidanza 9 lb flywheel
-Relocated battery to hatch (optima yellowtop)
-Zex nitrous kit w/ pressure gauge ( mounted where the rear seat would be, lines not run was using a 55 shot BEFORE the turbo went in)
- Sensei carbon fiber hood
- Corksport front lip
- tinted windows
- clear front turn signals
- white face gauges
- a/f, boost, fuel press, voltmeter guages (also have egt and oil pressure, not installed tho)

-17" excel rims (rims and tires have LESS than 300 miles on them!)
- Dropzone springs
- Rear strut bar

- Viper alarm system
- Pioneer cd player

Axles were also replaced at the time of clutch/flywheel install about 10k miles ago

Car is VERY clean, never seen winter and hardly seen rain. the front of the car has been repainted from when the hood/lip was put on. Has gts stripes from the roof back, could prolly use replacement as they are starting to fade (black vinyl). Car drives very straight, no wierd clunks or noises, Transmission shifts very smooth no grinds, motor shows good compression across all 6 cylinders. Interior is very clean and has no rips or tears in the leather. Overall car is in very good shape for its age! Its yet to see the track with the turbo, but judging other cars i've ran against its a 100+ mph trap car. This is on FIVE psi of boost.....

Now for the pics

don't worry, that neuspeed sticker from the previous owner has been removed! this was the only pic i had showing the stripes

Price is $6500 obo. With winter coming up i have too many cars and not enough space to keep them all! Like i said before the car is clean and in great shape for its age, thanks for looking!
*edit* also have the rear seats, they are out of the car right now for the nitrous setup

MR2 Turbo vs Turbo Probe
EBay Link
Turbo Probe vs 3kGT VR4
Turbo Probe: Addicted2b00st vs chino:turbo mr2 vs corvette vs celicagts vs drdos:lexus is300

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:01 PM
love how that probe had a mugen oil cap

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:56 PM
Arctic I'd almost consider the probe but I need something that I can currently drive in the winter and as much "Fun" as that would be I kinda like staying outta the ditches

if it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:20 AM
fox body mustang...nuff said
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:08 AM
Any particular years ImportFyghter?

Another problem, going to have to the Ford Probe because my best friend's brother had one and got into a fatal accident. Will have to talk to him and see if it won't open up any healed wounds Still like the idea though, I'm in school we'll throw around some more ideas later. Thanks~

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:53 AM
1991 DSM, 900$
rebuilt turbo, full 3" exhaust.

GT-30Rs 700$

FMIC, with pipes. 250$

Fuel to suport it.
300$

Having a fast project car for under 3 grand and rapeing STI's with a really ulgly car

priceless.

lol

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:11 AM
DSM is looking pretty good right now as well. Can buy a rebuilt turbo somewhere as well.

So

DSM
FC RX7
Ford Probe GT

anyone else?

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:32 AM
I'm sure people might get sick of me mentioning this car all the time, but I am going with the Nissan 240sx.

You can find them in good condition around the 2-3 grand range. I have found a couple selling for 6-900 bucks but of course they need some work done.

Heavy Throttle sells some nice engine packages from stock SR20DET all the way up to parts to make that thing push around 400 to the wheels. 240's along have a huge aftermarkter support so you won't have a hard time at all finding parts.

I am a huge fan of the car and have been helping out friends on theirs for the past 4-5 years. Once I finish off paying off my credit card, I am going to start looking around for one myself. Also, I think they just look badass.

Have a good one,
Justin

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:43 AM
CRX

Cheap spped is possible for this car, as well as it is fun as hell to drive. Its like a Go Cart on steroids

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:23 AM
I'm surprised no ones mentions the Chrysler turbocharged minivan.

you can get to 12s for less than 4k on one of those.

-Chris

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:24 AM
ya and holds up like one too in a crash.

DSM,s have great after markit suport, thats why i got one, my Z24 is as fast as i can get it with out really going in to the motor... the dsm however needs a computer reprogram, injectors, biger turbo, and a fuel pump and i got a low 12 sec car.... easy.

and driving it OMG, i thought my Z24 handled good, AWD is awsome.

just thing of it as a EVO-8 that looks weard.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:25 AM
Ok heres the list i'm considering as of now in order from most fav to least fav.

1. - 240 SX
2. - Probe GT
3. - FC Rx7 ( would be 2nd but I dont know that much about this car)
4. - 1g DSM
5. - 2g Fox body Mustang

For now. Not sure about the CRX I love the potential of the car, but size there is a little bit of a concern for me. Would really like one, as long as I can keep it from bein too ricey.

Thanks again for all the love guys

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:33 AM
My next project car is either an AWD rally car, or a 240 drifter
Either way I eventually want to have both.

A car that not many have so you'd get points for uniqueness is the Mazda 323 GTX, after you get it, open the boost up and you've got 180HP starting point with a solid AWD system.

Please stay away from the mustangs there are already too many of them.

IF you went with your current list I'd say.
1.) 240SX (stock 150HP) easy swap for a SR20DET, and they look sweet.
2.) 1G DSM, even stock they'll kick you in the pants and are MADE for boost.
3.) FC Rx7 (will be a lot more work, rotaries can be time consuming, I have a shop manual for one i could sell you if you get one and want a shop manual).

My assumption is that this is a straight track car

-Chris

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:34 AM
I'm with rascal. Get a chrysler turbo minivan. Run 12s for a few grand and be very happy. It's a bullet proof engine and if you're looking for cheap speed it's your ticket.
turbominivan.com

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:45 AM
Quote:

Eventually after a few years of work I'd like to reach maybe high 12's to maybe mid 13's (just to give an idea, not necessarily meaning its a track car at all).

It's in my post

Anyway I eventually would like it to be my daily driver that I can just cruise around in and enjoy it. Then the cavalier would become my winter car, etc.

I really just want a car to work on, and learn the basics. I havent been able to mess around with my car too much since its my transportation to school. So even if the car has some work need to be done, that's probably even better because then i'll learn the basics as well.

240SX, CRX, 1g DSM seem to be top 3 as of now. The Mazda idea sounds great because I love being unique but I dont know too much about that. The RX7's rotors scare me to be honest so I might stay away from that for now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search