scion tc recall - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Re: scion tc recall
Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:23 PM
I have heard so much about this! When I browse the Scion boards, I read about all these comments of drivers that have the glass break and it shatters all inside the interior of the car. That's scary stuff.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:28 PM
WOW, never heard of it till now. That would just plain suck.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:35 PM
just shows you recalls will happen no matter who the company is

Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:07 PM
yeah, they are fixing it though. Its worth the risk. the moonroof is awesome!!

Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:59 PM
Sizzy's Security (NauticaZ) wrote:yeah, they are fixing it though. Its worth the risk. the moonroof is awesome!!

There really is no fix for it. All the dealers are doing is replacing the deflector. Unless they're replacing it with some kind of anti-shatter glass?

Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:18 PM
yeah, actually, im pretty sure thats what they are doing.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:45 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:
Sizzy's Security (NauticaZ) wrote:yeah, they are fixing it though. Its worth the risk. the moonroof is awesome!!

There really is no fix for it. All the dealers are doing is replacing the deflector. Unless they're replacing it with some kind of anti-shatter glass?

yup....

"Toyota says its customers can reduce the likelihood of the deflector shattering by not opening the moonroof until the vehicle is repaired. Repairs call for Scion dealers to install a protective “laminate” to prevent the deflector from shattering or breaking apart."

Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:03 PM
J Caff wrote:
RoNuS20 wrote:

yup....

"Toyota says its customers can reduce the likelihood of the deflector shattering by not opening the moonroof until the vehicle is repaired. Repairs call for Scion dealers to install a protective “laminate” to prevent the deflector from shattering or breaking apart."

Hahahaha.......so there is no fix for it then. They put a laminate on there to prevent it from shattering when something hits it. So the deflector will still crack and will create a spiderweb type effect on the glass......brilliant.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:13 PM
So wait a sec......why is it that I never hear of this problem on other cars with moonroofs? I know some cars have the wind deflector as an option if you get the moonroof, yet this is the first I've heard of it breaking because of road debris.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:20 PM
they only have 3 reports of it happening

Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:45 PM
Well, just because they only have 3 reports of it doesn't mean it's not happening to more people.

This investigation was opened in the beginning of May 2005, and just browsing scionlife.com I have seen at least a dozen people (with pictures) showing the damage. Yet I still havnt heard this to be an issue with any other car with a wind deflector, so I don't know why they're picking on Scion if this is a common problem.

Friday, November 11, 2005 4:26 AM
I may be wrong. But i think part of the problem is the wind defector itself. It sticks up pretty high when fully opened. So the glass peice left open is about 5-6 inches high and 2 feet long maybe. So its not a big piece, and then, if it gets hit by a rock, i can see where that would happen with it. Thats the problem you run when the entire roof of the car is glass i guess. Im not sure about the laminate, im gonna get mine put on soon so i'll fill ya in.

Friday, November 11, 2005 10:16 AM
ron most cars have a metal deflector that pops up , unless they are using 1 of those plastic after market 1's

and the 1 on the toyota's im guessing is glass like the sides are , that shatters when broken , and not bonded like the front glass is

Friday, November 11, 2005 1:16 PM
Where the heck are people driving that debris is hitting the TOP of their car?!?! LOL

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, November 11, 2005 1:21 PM
Obviously youve never driven in Ohio!!! HAHA I know youve been to the bashes here actually

I took mine in for an oil change today. I asked about the recall. They are taking he deflector off and laminating it. Supposedly it takes about two hours. Yuck

See, the deflector is weird on the car. It lifts up and the moonroof slides back. The deflector actually does move in the wind, and is made of glass rather than plastic.

Friday, November 11, 2005 1:30 PM
Ill never own a Toyota because of this.

Ever.

...unless TRD makes and LSx mounting kit for the scion...

Then maybe.

LS1Tech | F-Body.com | Eastern F-Body Association | Toronto F-Body Club
Friday, November 11, 2005 2:01 PM
I heard they were, actually

Friday, November 11, 2005 4:56 PM
great just what everone needs

another mullet mobile

Friday, November 11, 2005 6:31 PM
im kidding

Friday, November 11, 2005 7:57 PM
hmmm....odd design to have the deflecter a piece of glass

well whatever, as long as toyota get's it fixed up before anyone gets hurt pretty bad

Saturday, November 12, 2005 1:44 PM
GAM FOR MOD in 06!! WOOT!! wrote:im kidding

yeah i know so was i

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search