96 Mustang GT Clutch Replacement - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 Mustang GT Clutch Replacement
Friday, October 28, 2005 12:09 PM
Hey fellas!

Quick question for all you tech guys? How hard is it to change a clutch in a 96 mustang GT? Also how much would it cost to change? My buddy is thinking of buying this stang. she thinks its a good buy for $3k. I just want to tell her or give her an idea of how much she will have to pay for a new clutch. I advised her to buy a "working" stang but what do I know. HAHAHHAH

Thanks and she thanks all of you too!

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me

Re: 96 Mustang GT Clutch Replacement
Friday, October 28, 2005 8:05 PM
I've done 2 so far..both were V8's. One was a '88 Gt Cobra, and the other was a '95 Gt. I dropped+changed+fitted back trans in an average of 3hrs (and thats with a few brews). Theres really nuthing to it
Sunday, October 30, 2005 6:17 AM
EdgeZ24 wrote:I've done 2 so far..both were V8's. One was a '88 Gt Cobra, and the other was a '95 Gt. I dropped+changed+fitted back trans in an average of 3hrs (and thats with a few brews). Theres really nuthing to it

not to be off topic but there was never a gt cobra.

if you do a clutch also do a flywheel. it's used so you don't know what kind of condition it's in & it's better to be safe than sorry & have to do the install all over again. pricing can go from about 300 for a clutch & flywheel to over a grand, it's all in the setup you're gunna need. if you're paying for it to be done it all depends on the shop, but i'd count on at least $350

NOT broke

Sunday, October 30, 2005 9:37 AM
c s wrote:
EdgeZ24 wrote:I've done 2 so far..both were V8's. One was a '88 Gt Cobra, and the other was a '95 Gt. I dropped+changed+fitted back trans in an average of 3hrs (and thats with a few brews). Theres really nuthing to it

if you do a clutch also do a flywheel. it's used so you don't know what kind of condition it's in & it's better to be safe than sorry & have to do the install all over again. pricing can go from about 300 for a clutch & flywheel to over a grand, it's all in the setup you're gunna need. if you're paying for it to be done it all depends on the shop, but i'd count on at least $350

That's what I thought at first when the guy asked me to change a clutch on a '88 Gt Cobra. So later on I asked my buddy, a sales rep at for ford. Apparently(don't remember it all), to keep the name cobra alive from shelby during that gen they made the Gt Cobra in canada ONLY. There where some legal issues or something in the US courts so they didn't produce the cobra edition in the US..only canada. Like I said I don't remember what the whole battle was around in court, but wtv it was..that was the reason none where set to the US. By then after asking my buddy, I pretty much had the understanding, but thought it was a little weird why ford would produce to canada only to keep the name alive. But just last summer this guy at the local Muscle Car week spot told me the same story.
I could be wrong, I'm not a mustang guy. But I've been told from 3 diferent ppl that there is a Cobra Gt for that gen, and have been explained from 2 ppl why it was produced only in canada
Sunday, October 30, 2005 10:04 AM
it would cost 400-600$ for a new clutch from a shop.

-Borsty
Sunday, October 30, 2005 11:16 AM
EdgeZ24 wrote:
c s wrote:

That's what I thought at first when the guy asked me to change a clutch on a '88 Gt Cobra. So later on I asked my buddy, a sales rep at for ford. Apparently(don't remember it all), to keep the name cobra alive from shelby during that gen they made the Gt Cobra in canada ONLY. There where some legal issues or something in the US courts so they didn't produce the cobra edition in the US..only canada. Like I said I don't remember what the whole battle was around in court, but wtv it was..that was the reason none where set to the US. By then after asking my buddy, I pretty much had the understanding, but thought it was a little weird why ford would produce to canada only to keep the name alive. But just last summer this guy at the local Muscle Car week spot told me the same story.
I could be wrong, I'm not a mustang guy. But I've been told from 3 diferent ppl that there is a Cobra Gt for that gen, and have been explained from 2 ppl why it was produced only in canada

I've heard similar stories. "GT Cobra" made only in canada..

Anyhow if it is a clutch change on a 4.6 it will be a bit harder then the 5.0/T5 but not to bad. I hope she isn't getting 96 GT to go fast because they are the slowest (v8) mustang made in the last SEVERAL years. Good luck.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Sunday, October 30, 2005 1:21 PM
Thanks. Actually its a girl that is looking into the car. The car is for sale $3,500 but needs a clutch. I will let her know that its not that bad of a price to get the new clutch.

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search