Any VW owners here? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any VW owners here?
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:43 AM
I knew we had a couple GTI guys etc. I checked out VWVortex but couldn't find a spot to ask the questions I have, in the "car purchasing" forum there weren't many responses to anything, and I didn't feel like being flamed for posting in the wrong area.

Anyhow I'm looking at making a new purchase very soon, and have some questions. If you can answer them, please post!, or refer me to a site that can.

Re: Any VW owners here?
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:57 AM
what is it that u need to know? i work at an Audi dealer...

SPONSORED BY: CAVALIER EXTREME
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:15 AM
Darkstars loves VW's. He might help.

Have a good one,
Justin

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:35 AM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to Darkstars help....../sarcasm

Looking at an '01 Jetta 1.8T w/ low miles, just wondering what I should look out for, etc. Differences in all the models, whether I should go 1.8T or VR6, I dunno much of the differences mainly.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:05 AM
I'll give you some more info after work

and seriously I'll help where I can, also if you PM me the vin# I can look up the service history and see if there are any recalls

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:39 AM
I do however know you hate them , but I'll appreciate any help you offer me.....and I mean that!

I honestly don't have much experience with newer VW's, nor do I know any VW tuners around here.

I love the styling of the Jetta, always have, and it offers me everything I've been looking for that the Cavalier just doesn't, and never will. Everyone needs something different, and I think it's time for me to move onto something else, as I've gotten bored and can no longer find happiness.

This move probably won't happen until this Spring, but I'm getting more and more serious about it lately.

I'm curious as to what the 1.8T Jettas run stock, 1/4 mile wise, and more so, the handling! I love my car and how it handles, and my next vehicle will for sure be modded just the same. VR6 also interests me, but as stated, I want to know the details and pros/cons of both.

Thanks Ryan.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:50 AM
I have a good bit of guys who work on VW's.

My one friend just picked up a 2004 Jetta GLI about a 1/2 year ago. I am not a huge fan of Jettas but his is pretty nice looking. When I was driving around with his stock, it picked up pretty good, but I wasn't super impressed with it. I do know that with some mods, those 1.8's can get pretty quick. Other than his headlight burning out on him every now and again, I haven't heard anything from him yet about parts breaking and such.

I have another buddy with a 337 that is sharp as hell. I am in love with that car. It is a nice car, but he has been having some problems with it as of late so he is getting rid of it. It is more electronic problems than anything else.

Hope that helps somehow. I can give some a call tonight to see how they are liking theirs.

Have a good one,
Justin

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:55 AM
I have a 2000 Jetta GLS 1.8T. I'll try to answer as best I can...I mostly know about the 1.8T since it's what I have...

Looking at both. 1.8T is better for cheap mods that will give great results. VR6 is nice for sound and expensive to mod to get power. Depends on which route you want to take.

1.8T
99.5-00 = AWD engine code. 150hp-155tq KO3 Turbo
01= AWW engine code, 150hp-155tq KO3S Turbo (slightly larger) VVT also (bonus!)
02+= AWP engine code, 180hp-190tq? (cant remember) KO4 Turbo

The major difference between the 150 and 180 models is the programming.

02+ also came with the option of the 6 speed O2M tranny for the Jetta GLI and Golf 337, 20th Anniversary

They are heavy byatches, a little over 3000pounds. Handling is good with coilovers, good with drop springs as well. Coilovers are better but harsher.
1/4mile times stock will be in the low 15s.

For the 1.8T, you can add a chip from GIAC called the X+, with the 150hp models, you can see gains of around 55hp and 100tq over stock, it's great!

Few things to look out for. Check if the timing belt and water pump have been changed, make sure you get it done if it hasnt (depending on mileage)
In the pre-01 models, there were some problems with windows dropping in the door, problem there is the windows are held by small plastic pieces, and after a while, they would break. 02+ models have metal pieces to hold the door up, no more problem.
Coilpacks were also an issue on the pre-01 models.

So Basically, try to get a 2002 model 1.8T. You'll get a slightly larger turbo and better reliability. Make sure you get warranty!!!!

If you can live with the small problems you might encounter, it's a great car. Just buy it knowing what you're getting yourself into and if you're ready. I was and loving it since day 1

Oh, my little VR6 knowledge is this:

12V VR6, models up to '03? about 175hp, tq?
24V VR6, models after '04, 200hp and 200tq

Feel free to email me since I dont always check this site anymore...

frank13_2000@hotmail.com

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:57 AM
Ah yes, forgot to add some more things...

Backseats = non-existant, it's more of an emergency kinda thing to have people sit back there.

VW= Great engines and trannies, but crappy electronics

Looking at the post above, apparently bulbs to burnt out a lot, never had 1 burn out on me yet.

Aftermarket support = HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:03 PM
Joe you bastard, don't sell the car!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:10 PM
^^^^ just to add

look at it this way

1.8T=slow but easily moded to make really fast
vr6=fast stock but cost a lot to mod to make faster

if your gettting a golf i believe the stock 1/4 mile time is like 15.5 with the 1.8T
and the vr6 stock is like 14.5 so i guess it all depends if you plan on leaving it and not modding it i would go with the vr6 but if you want to go really fast and dont mind spending money go with the 1.8T

when i had my gti vr6 i had the best time of 13.9 with just an intake muffler flywheel and clutch but like i said all those mods cost me like 1500 lol

for 1500 you could get a 1.8t at like low 13s high 12s i bet lol if you know how to do your own work and know what your doing as far as tuning

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:14 PM
Awesome info Frank, pretty much what I was looking for! The one I'm looking at is a 2001, but when Spring comes I'll look for a 2002 for sure. I agree with what you had said, cause that's exactly what I'm trying to do, figure out what I'm getting into!

What's the GLI, GLS, etc....differences? The one I looked at I believe was a GLI.

Quote:

For the 1.8T, you can add a chip from GIAC called the X+, with the 150hp models, you can see gains of around 55hp and 100tq over stock, it's great!

Price? I know VW/Audi's love chips!

As for not selling the Cav, I'll probably part it out, return it close to stock, and trade it in. Too hard to sell modded cars, especially a Cavalier.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:16 PM
1.8T will be in the low 15's
VR6 will be in the low 15s high 14s.

Mid 14s with a chip for the 1.8T, low 14s with an exhaust....etc, etc, etc.

It also depends on the car, the driver, the track, the temperature, the elevation for 1/4 mile times, so dont base your judgement of both cars on 1/4 mile times alone...

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:18 PM
Just looked at your registry, very nice mods! Most of which I plan on doing. Is there a company that offers any full coilovers in which you don't lose travel? I love slammed VW's, but wouldn't want to compromise handling.

Also nice knowing my Falkens will bolt right up if I keep em!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:20 PM
I was just worried about having something slower than the Cav w/ it's mods, but the VW looks to be faster stock. Sad .

Yeah I would definately do CAI, chip, exhaust, and the proper tuning!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:26 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:Awesome info Frank, pretty much what I was looking for! The one I'm looking at is a 2001, but when Spring comes I'll look for a 2002 for sure. I agree with what you had said, cause that's exactly what I'm trying to do, figure out what I'm getting into!

What's the GLI, GLS, etc....differences? The one I looked at I believe was a GLI.

Quote:

Price? I know VW/Audi's love chips!

As for not selling the Cav, I'll probably part it out, return it close to stock, and trade it in. Too hard to sell modded cars, especially a Cavalier.

GL- Base, 2.0 engine, crappy
GLS- 1.8T
GLX- were VR6 only, came with climatronic, and had fog lights. I dont know/remember if and when they stopped making them, and if they do still make them. lol
GLI- up until '04, there wasnt much difference, but the '04+ have 18" BBS wheels, drop from factory, skirt kit, sweet brushed aluminum trim on the inside and a bunch of other things...If I had the money, I would get a '04+ GLI in a heartbeat, but I dont....lol.

You also had the Wolfsburg edition in there. Sport suspension and some better cloth seats basically. I didnt care since I swapped out the suspension anyways and wanted leather. LOL

As for the chip, there are different companies with different gains and prices. GIAC just happens to be the one with the most gains. I'm not sure on price, I live in Canada so things are always more expensive for us...

IF you plan on getting a chip, also budget for a new Diverter Valve.

What's a diverter valve (DV) you ask?! Well, let me tell you! LMAO.

VW's 1.8Ts dont use a Blow Off valve like most cars do. We use a DV, which re-directs the air back into the intake stream instead of atmosphere like a BOV would. You dont get that PSSSSHHHH sound. UNLESSS! You buy an aftermarket DV (forge or Bailey) and add a CAI. Some guys run BOVs without turning any engine lights on, but they do run richer because of it. I like the Baileys DV myself because you dont have to take it out and re-oil and service it like you would need to in the Forge
*Note* CAIs dont do anything but make a cool sound and maybe, just maybe gain a little better top end power.

Holy crap, I dont think I've ever made posts this long in my life! hahahaha

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:31 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:Just looked at your registry, very nice mods! Most of which I plan on doing. Is there a company that offers any full coilovers in which you don't lose travel? I love slammed VW's, but wouldn't want to compromise handling.

Also nice knowing my Falkens will bolt right up if I keep em!

Slammed VW are gorgeous.

Slam a VW though and be ready to buy new oil pans every other week. lol.
Look for a under car plate protector thingy (forget the technical term)
You can look those up on the dieselgeek website.

Your rims may not bolt up. I know my Tenzos from the cavy didnt. I forget the dimensions, but the VW bolt width is slighty larger then a cavys. Lets say for the hell of it, cavys have a 14mm bolt width, while a vw will have a 16mm. It's the bolt themselves that are the problem, and not the dimension (like 5/100, 5/114, etc)

I didnt do much research on coilovers, you'll have to check out companies such as FK, KW, Tein amongst others...

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:40 PM
FYI, I didnt know sh!t about VWs up until a year ago when I got the Jetta...I just read a lot on the internet and try to gather a much information as I can...

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:17 PM
For only a year of info, I consider it good enough!

......I've been on VWVortex and in your registry, WTF is Joey'ing the headlights , as I guess the black ones you can purchase suck.

Gotcha about the rims, kinda want new ones anyhow so I guess these go with my car! Fair enough as I sold my stocks anyhow.

I knew about the diverter valve, factory sleeper option lol! Didn't know about upgrading and which brand though, so thanks! This is all info I'll use, I promise .

Sucks I can't slam it without worrying about clearance, hmmm, Sportlines again? Also does Eibach make a rear swaybar? Buddy has a hookup on Eibach and I would have to upgrade swaybars.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:43 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:For only a year of info, I consider it good enough!

......I've been on VWVortex and in your registry, WTF is Joey'ing the headlights , as I guess the black ones you can purchase suck.

Gotcha about the rims, kinda want new ones anyhow so I guess these go with my car! Fair enough as I sold my stocks anyhow.

I knew about the diverter valve, factory sleeper option lol! Didn't know about upgrading and which brand though, so thanks! This is all info I'll use, I promise .

Sucks I can't slam it without worrying about clearance, hmmm, Sportlines again? Also does Eibach make a rear swaybar? Buddy has a hookup on Eibach and I would have to upgrade swaybars.

"Joey Modding" your headlights is a term used on the Vortex. Basically the first guy to open up his headlights and paint them was named Joey, the name stuck around. It's basically an alternative to buyer black e-code headlights (european spec). I'm in the middle of doing an HID retrofit though

You can slam it, just make sure you get a plate to put under your car, they're not super expensive and give you peace of mind. Sportlines would be a good choice for a daily driver, I went with Pro-kit cause, 1 our roads suck, 2 i have to drive it in the winter, 3 i wanted a somewhat comfy ride for daily driving. Eibach does have a sway bar, best thing you can do after drop and shocks! I'm not sure what size it is, I went with neuspeed because it's 28mm and adjustable...Either one you get, you wont be dissapointed. Also, if you do slam it, you might have to purchase some new, longer end-links for the front sway bar because it'll rub. I was fine with the pro-kit...

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:48 PM
Skid Plate is the word I was looking for!

2 examples here, you can also buy it from the VW dealership in your area...

http://www.dieselgeek.com/panzer.php

http://www.evolutionimport.com/skidPlates.html

JCO EAST

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:58 PM
Sweet deal!

Thinking of Sportlines on yellows, as I love that combo in terms of daily driving and handling. Just never seen a Jetta on Sportlines.

Skidplate, ah yes, mostly used by off-roaders, but for a piece of mind it would be worth it!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:23 PM
Mmmmm.....Sportlines.....I love this car-

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:13 PM
Ya! The Sportlines look really good. I like the way the back is nice and even...I may end up changing out the springs next...well spring

Here's a quick pic of mine from earlier this summer...I've added the GLI lip since then (not painted, and will be coming off soon before the snow comes). I'll also be filling in the hood notch and getting rid of the blank plate on the front and get a new rub strip...all next year of course...

JCO EAST
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:56 PM
What lips/sides does the car that I posted have?

I saw ones with the hood emblem area not filled, I assume you shave that as you would anything else on a car to fill it in?

Your VW looks hot! Wish I could handle owning another black car again as I love them in black, but I'm soo sick of the maintenance.

Yeah Sportlines it is for me, plus like I said, my buddy gets a hookup on Eibach products.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search