v6 camaro worthed? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
v6 camaro worthed?
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:30 AM
There's this guy by my house that has a 96 or 97 camaro v6. He is selling it because there's something wrong with the engine. The body is in good condition but it has a loud ass muffler. I heard my friend say he wanted $800 but wouldd take $500. i think he needs the cash and want to get rid of it. I was thinking on buying it but I really don't know how far can I go as far as performance. I would like to swap a v8 engine on it if i buy it. would it be a good purchase or what?

stock '00 2200 cavy

Re: v6 camaro worthed?
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:54 AM
i would get it but instead of swapping the motor do performance work to it like turbo/super charging it and beefing up the internals to handel LOTS of boost or NO2 what kind of prob does the motor have ??? i got my F body for 800 bucks runnin fine

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/523131

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:49 AM
Don't waste your time putting a V8 in there. It will be cheaper to buy the Z28 once you figure in engine, tranny, driveshaft, LSD, wiring harness, etc.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:40 AM
but it and swap in a old school carb'd v8

-Borsty
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:04 PM
carbs are the devil. fuelie is the only way to go.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:28 PM
fuel injection sucks i wish i would have just went carb'd with my application

-Borsty
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:19 PM
Only some carbs are the devil. I like my Edelbrock just fine!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:33 PM
Demon carbs = T3h g3wdn3ss.

My dad has them on his boats.

I'd buy the car, but then again, I'd dump an LS1/6spd in there with the EMU that GM has for that kind of swap. I forget the name of it.

If it's not network news, it's probably the truth getting out.

Some people are like slinkies: Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them
down a flight of stairs.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:35 PM
its NOT worth it to try and swap in an LT or LS v8 in that car. I once had the same thought and checked out all the popular f-body forums, and there was even a thread here where someone with a firebird wanted to do the same. Virtually NOTHING from the v6 car will be used, by the time your done with the swap you will have a new car and have spent tons of money.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:39 PM
Only gonna be worth it if you get a VERY good price on the motor and tranny.
Good luck getting a cheap price on the LS1.

A junkyard would probably be your friend for LT1/LS1 parts. Accessories and such.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747
Some blinker fluid and a couple muffler bearings.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:12 PM
Borsty wrote:fuel injection sucks i wish i would have just went carb'd with my application

awww is the fuel injection to compwication for borsty, there there, don't cry , lol j/k.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:40 PM
96+ have the 3800's in them, very reliable motor, and cheap to buy.

I wouldn't bother modding it at all, save that for an lt1 or ls1 f body....

I've seen decent lt1 cars for around 3 grand.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:00 AM
Carbs all the way, just not on that car.
Just make it into a reliable car imo.

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:26 AM
Robtco99 wrote:96+ have the 3800's .

wrong

they changed to 3.8 half way thru the 97 model year

-Borsty
Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:07 AM
Borsty wrote:fuel injection sucks i wish i would have just went carb'd with my application

hey now Borsty, i like a carb just as much a the next guy (apperantly more than Emor8t) but dont go attacking my fuel injection. it doesnt like that.

as for the Camaro, if you do get it, dont bother with an engine swap. it'll cost you a load. just get a new 3800, they can be made tough enough.

read me

see^^

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:05 AM
I guess I just don't see the point of carbs when building a new engine. I don't hate them persay, but the only way i'd buy a carb'd car is if it was something NOS (Not NAWWZZZZZ ) or restored.

I don't get the point in putting a carb'd engine in a car that was originally FI.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:19 AM
The swap is a nightmare!! Don't bother I've done 2 and I hated both! The biggest problem is the fuel system if you switch to carborated. The fuel pump in the tank is very high presure it'll blow the needle right off the seat and make the floats totaly useless.
And we couldn't find a mechanical pump that would pull thru the electric pump enough to feed it at high rpm's. We had to put in 2 different regulators and runa return line off the first one back to the tank and it still wouldn't work right. The dude ran out of cash so he just sold the car. The second one gave up just after we got the engine in. Don't waste the money pass on this one.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:38 AM
^^
or dont carb it

other cars, better cars?
Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:58 AM
Borsty wrote:

wrong

Odd how on my 96 formula they have the sticker for belt routing for the 5.7 and the 3.8....build date 12/95
Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:12 AM
Id buy it and part out most of the car on FBod forums. Im sure the rear end, seat, suspension, gaugues etc. You could make twice what you paid for it and put the $$ into your stocker. Just my opinion lol

“Things fall apart. The cracks get wider: More paper is used, with increasing ingenuity, to cover them. Madness implodes, as people are slowly crushed, or, perhaps worse, help in crushing others.”

--Jon Savage
--Melody Maker’s Review of Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures when asked “ How has Unknown Pleasures has affected you”

Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:43 AM
I have question is this the same 3800 in a grand prix?? If so can you use that engine.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:03 PM
Robtco99 wrote:
Borsty wrote:

wrong

Odd how on my 96 formula they have the sticker for belt routing for the 5.7 and the 3.8....build date 12/95

wait, it was 96 the changed halfway thru, my bad this kid i used to work with had a 97 and i keep thinking its a 3.4 for some reason

-Borsty
Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:30 PM
Mylife75 (ajose) wrote:I have question is this the same 3800 in a grand prix?? If so can you use that engine.

yes, it is the same 3.8L engine. it's the L36, which is the NA series II 3800. however, i dont believe they are interchangable. i know the accesories are different on the two. a few other things are different. mounts and such. other than that, i dont know. and just in case you're wondering, dont even try to put a S/C 3800 in it. the throttle body would go right into the firewall. it wouldnt fit under the hood. it just wouldnt be worth it.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:58 PM
thanks a lot for the advices guys. I do'nt really know much about camaros so I rely on you for this decision. I still have not decided but I'm still listening!!

stock '00 2200 cavy
Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:04 PM
check out an fbod forum
or ask at LS1tech.com

other cars, better cars?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search