Bike Owners!!! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bike Owners!!!
Monday, October 17, 2005 8:14 AM
Im looking to get a bike come next summer....The only problem is that im short (5'5) ive been thinking of getting a Suzuki GSX-R 600....Butt ive never riden before...do you think this bike is too much for a beginer?

Re: Bike Owners!!!
Monday, October 17, 2005 8:38 AM
You are in for a headache of a thread since this was recently posted and gets posted on a lot of forums. Here is my opinion and what I posted in that last thread.

Bottom line of my post, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and you must be honest with yourself when learning to ride. One thing that is nice, is the motorcycle scene is a lot more fun to be part of then the sport compact scene for maturity level. You will find its more of a "brotherhood" than the car scene. It sounds corny but its the truth. I ride with all different people from beginers to expereienced, people with harleys to imports, and reguardless of the heckling those people are there for you when you are riding no matter what you are riding.

Anyways here is that post...

Quote:

To the original poster, You are going to find arguments like this on every single message board, car or bike related boards. Truth is there is no real answer because its all up to the individual person.

You have to be honest with yourself first and formost. If you don't think you can control the temptation to wack the throttle and ride within your limit don't go for a power house. You can tell people all you want that you are responsible but only you truly know if you posses the control to play it smart and safe. You can get screwed up just as easily on a 250 ninja as on a bigger bike.

Second, you need to choose a bike that fits you. YOU MUST go out and sit on different bikes you are interested in. I just bought my first street bike this past july 1st and too delivery of it July 6th. I sold my cavalier to buy it (I also have a 2005 silverado so the Cav was just a toy) and I was going to buy a big bike off the bat due to not wanting to deal with reselling a smaller bike, and me being a bigger guy to begin with. I wanted a 1000 orginally but then started looking at Hayabusas and the ZX-12R due to seat height and riding position comfort. The bigger bikes like the Busa and 12 are actually less agressively leaned over the tank compared to a 600, 750 or 1000 sport bike. Also they have a lower seat height. I can flat foot a Busa and my ZX-12 but had to tip toe on a CBR and Gixxer 1000. - SO YOU MUST SIT ON BIKES to see what their weight and footing is like so you can support it.

Third, engine CCs can be decieving. Example a 750cc Inline 4 can be deadlier than a 1200 or 1300. Reason, the 750cc sport bike is usually shoved into a 600 chassis making it more of a weapon than a larger CC when it comes to being agile.

Fourth, think about insurance WHILE YOUR SITTING ON BIKES! Especially if you finance a bike. When you get above 750cc and if you are under 25 years of age reguardless of your driving record, expect to pay what every half of your bikes' cost in insurance. Example especially with the 1000cc and up bikes. If you paid 8000 for a new bike and you financed, full coverage will cost you about $4000 a year. Reason for this is due to the fact most liter and up bikes are totalled in the first year. No on the same token after the first FULL year if you get through it it usually comes down. - When you FINANCE you MUST have full coverage.

Fifth, what ever you do TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFTEY CLASS ASAP! I took mine in the middle of september and it helped with some bad habits I had going into the class that I developed between July and when class started. First thing in the spring I will betaking the Experienced riding course which further teaches you skills. I was even given a application to become a riding coach by my instructor which was pretty cool and I may become involved with next year.

A bit about me, I'm 26 and as I stated I came back from the OC car show in june and was totally sick of my car (2001 cavalier). I only took it out for shows if it was nice and I had been spoiled by driving my new silverado. So I said screw it and sold it as soon as I came back. It actually sold for a decent price 1 1/2 weeks later. So July 1st I payed for my ZX-12R in full and then picked it up July 6th. It was used but owned but an adult and it was garage kept. Never been down and only had 2700 miles on it. As of today I have put myself 3100 additional miles on it since I purchased it (Putting the clock at a few miles over 5800).

Like I mentioned earlier this was my first bike and I'm still here. I took it real easy for the first 1000 miles. I have pushed it up to 150mph with a full gear and a half to go, but my head shakes too much even while my chin is resting on the tank. I need to get a Double bubble screen to deflect more air over my helmet. I don't do that speed all the time but its nice to know its there for @!#$s and giggles. A lot of the guys I ride with are actually impressed with how well I handle that big of a bike especially for being my first bike. I also know, I still have about 90% to learn and ride daily within those limits.

If you click my signature you can see more recent pictures of the bike. I have about a $2000 shopping list of stuff to still purchase over the winter which inlcudles a full TRS dual tip exhaust from Yoshimara, Muzzy Bonneville box (take off the 186 speed limiter allowing the bike to reach close to 200 MPH with pipe and filters), BMC air filters (Was going to go K&N but they dropped the ball on fitment for my bike), Carbon Fiber RR mirrors from magical Racing in japan, Dyno Jet Power commander III, some type of Double Bubble wind screen for better air deflection.

One more thing I forgot to mention ALWAYS DRESS FOR THE CRASH! Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, and over the ankle Boots minimum especially while learning.

-Peace

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:37 AM
Basically if you're humble about the bike, you can ride any cc you want. I started on an 05 kawi zx6r and its fine for me. You just have to remember that the bike is much more capable than you think you might be. You should go sit on different bikes and see which feels the best to you. All the bikes in the same classes are going to be as fast as the next. It should be about comfort and looks.

Monday, October 17, 2005 10:46 AM
honestly, i started on a 500 Ninja because I still live with my parents and that was the biggest bike they'd let me get (that I could afford). if not for them, I'd probably have a Yamaha FZ6 or Kawasaki Z750S. i think that i would've been safe on a larger displacement bike, but looking back, i'm glad I got my 500. it's light, has a pretty low seat height, and is a comfortable bike to ride for long distances (something i can't say for any of the "real" street bikes).

my one friend bought a 1981 Yamaha 850 special about the same time i bought my bike, and he did great on it for just starting (considering it weighs 600+ pounds and has a kick start). now, it's not a speed demon by any means, but it just goes to show that if you have respect for your machine, you can start on anything. my other friend started on a 1999 Kawi ZX7R and did pretty well, also (granted he's a wuss ). i took that bike for a spin and it scared the piss out of me. i cranked open 2nd gear until 90mph and had to let off because it felt like my arms were being ripped out of the sockets. but, as i said, he's a wuss and never takes it past 5K on the tach, so he was able to start on that bike.

my personal experience would steer you towards a smaller, easier-to-manhandle bike that's very forgiving. BUT, a few of my friends' experiences would say you can start wherever you want. I say, do what you think. in the end, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Monday, October 17, 2005 3:06 PM
Monday, October 17, 2005 7:01 PM
Alot of people have been telling me to get a Ninja 500 to start with..i mean it is a year away but i like to plan things out

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:20 PM
Know yourself. If you have a speed thing, you should start on a small bike. Everyone crashes eventually and you want that crash to be at low speed.

I know people who started on bikes way too big for them and they survived. That isn't why you should start small. Like has been said before, you can get killed on any bike, even a 10 speed. If you have a large fast bike, skills suffer. That's right, you won't learn how to ride properly as soon. You will compensate for your bad cornering by hammering the straights, you will become gun-shy in the corners because your bike can chew you up and spit you out like yesterdays cold fish. If you start on a bike with limited power, the bike won't intimidate you and you'll learn how to corner well, which is the key to real fun and speed on a bike. Knowing how to brake hard and crank it into a corner is far more satisfying than tucking in and hitting 180MPH in a straight line, any joker can do that.

I know a guy with a 350 that can beat anyonme I know on a race track regardless of their bike. Know why, because he has to out ride them, he can't out power them. Something to think about.

Any modern sportbike 600cc+ is a really quick machine, for one, and is most comfy if you have at least a 30 in. inseem. Bikes can be lowered to suit, so add that cost into your purchase price. You really do need to be able to get at least one foot flat on the ground and touch with the other. I have a 32 in inseem and can stand with both feet flat over my stock CBR600RR.

Biking is a brotherhood because all the idiots in cars are out to kill us, you'll see.

Good luck and happy biking.

PAX
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:28 PM

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 10:27 PM
check this site out they helped me on my decision to get a CBR600F4i which im about to get in about a week or 2
[URL=www.sportbikes.ws]sportbikes.ws[/URL]

Sinister Ambitions
when your girl is getting on your last nerve f*#k her dont fight her
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:04 AM
Which F4i? The newest version with the one piece seat or the little bit older (pre 2003) with the two piece seat, when it was the 600cc track bike from Honda? FYI: when they released the CBR600RR the F4i got remodeled to be more comfortable, but it got uglied up a bit (IMO).

Either way, it is a great bike. Very linear power, quite predicable. Great, stable chassis, if a bit heavy but not so much that a novice rider would notice. Corners well, not the best cornering machine but very stable which is important to a new rider and when I say not the best, that doesn't mean no good. It corners very well, but would be out cornered by the RR and the R6 just barely. All the 600cc sportbikes are very close in performance.

If it's an older F4i with some miles on it, you'll be looking to get a new cam chain tensioner soon. Get a manual one for about $80CDN (less USD), do not get the OEM replacement as it will fail eventually too. The failure isn't too bad, it just gets noisey, the bike is still ridable, and the fix is easy.

Hey JerseyKid.. Why the long face?

PAX
Monday, October 24, 2005 5:17 PM
Hahahaha wrote:Which F4i? The newest version with the one piece seat or the little bit older (pre 2003) with the two piece seat, when it was the 600cc track bike from Honda? FYI: when they released the CBR600RR the F4i got remodeled to be more comfortable, but it got uglied up a bit (IMO).

Either way, it is a great bike. Very linear power, quite predicable. Great, stable chassis, if a bit heavy but not so much that a novice rider would notice. Corners well, not the best cornering machine but very stable which is important to a new rider and when I say not the best, that doesn't mean no good. It corners very well, but would be out cornered by the RR and the R6 just barely. All the 600cc sportbikes are very close in performance.

If it's an older F4i with some miles on it, you'll be looking to get a new cam chain tensioner soon. Get a manual one for about $80CDN (less USD), do not get the OEM replacement as it will fail eventually too. The failure isn't too bad, it just gets noisey, the bike is still ridable, and the fix is easy.

Hey JerseyKid.. Why the long face?

PAX

its an 05-06 CBR F4i the one peice seat
here is a pic of the one im getting same color and everything

Sinister Ambitions

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:37 AM
Nice bikes but I gotta ask, if looking at new models, why not the RR. A little lighter, a little more power, better brakes, better handling, only slightly less comfy.

I like the F4i but unless I was buying used.. Well, I bought the RR didn't I

PAX
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:55 AM
Hahahaha wrote:Nice bikes but I gotta ask, if looking at new models, why not the RR. A little lighter, a little more power, better brakes, better handling, only slightly less comfy.

I like the F4i but unless I was buying used.. Well, I bought the RR didn't I

PAX

im trying to save a few bucks and that 2 separate seat doesnt look comfy

Sinister Ambitions
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search