Installing B&M short shifter... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installing B&M short shifter...
Saturday, January 28, 2006 10:08 PM
I am getting ready to install my short shifter, and reading the instructions online and also on this how-to:

http://www.wildweasel.ca/j-body/HowTo/BMShifter.asp

This how-to instructs the installer to actually remove the whole shifter assembly from the car to do the shifter swap, yet the official instructions do not instruct you to do so.

Is it necessary to remove the whole shifter housing from the car to do the install? I would prefer to install it right where it lays if thats at all possible.

This will be my first shifter install, and although I heard its pretty easy, and I have experience with normal maintanance like oil changes, changing wheels, starters, altenators, and whatever else breaks, I was wondering how difficult this would be?

The less I have to take apart the better, so can I leave the shifter housing bolted to the car while I do the removal and install?

Re: Installing B&M short shifter...
Saturday, January 28, 2006 10:24 PM
You have to get it out, since there's clips that you need to push under. You won't be able to remove some parts if you don't get it out completly. It's really easy to do, just don't forget to mark the cables position and everything will be ok. It took me 1 hour I think, just take your time so you don't break anything!!!

Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:29 AM
Mark the cables how? That was one of the parts i didnt understand? should i mark the cable as close to the plastic cable end as possible? Or do I mark someplace else?
Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:14 AM
yes you have to remove it. i never marked my cables and i didnt have a problem. the only problem i ran into was not grinding enough out of the stock shifter. its a pretty easy job once you know what your doing.

Monday, January 30, 2006 7:07 AM
Your registry makes no mention of you owning any car.

Just note that those instructions are specific to the 00-05 cars so if you've got a 95-99 then it will be completely different.

I've never done a 95-99 install so I don't know whether it has to be removed for those or not. If your instructions are different from those posted though, I have to assume you've got something other than a 00-05 Getrag.

Monday, January 30, 2006 8:25 AM
it is different. i just did the install on a 95-99. you have to remove the shifter (well im sure there are ways around it but it makes it so much easier). once you have the cables off, its only 4 bolts that hold it down and it just comes right out.

there is a thread on here somewhere w/ a 95-99 install. i saw it one day and i was unable to find it again.

Monday, January 30, 2006 5:05 PM
ya I took mine right out to do, it just seems so much easier, to do it in the kitchen on the table didn't take long at all, plus I didn't mark any cables either, and everything went back in no problem.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:44 AM
95-99 B&M shifter install pics

thats the thread I made w/pics for the 95-99, if thats what year you have, feel free to msg me with any questions
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:08 AM
^^ lol you know how long it took me to find that. i found it once and i knew i should of saved it and then i lost it and couldnt find it

Saturday, February 11, 2006 8:59 AM
thanks...i needed this

02 Olds alero slammed and kitted n so much more
00 Ford Excursion 7.3..290hp 660 trq
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search