Fuses. Someone please help me understand which - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuses. Someone please help me understand which
Monday, January 02, 2006 1:09 PM
ok well ive always been confused with fuses and which ones to use. here are a couple examples

i have a thing in my cig. lighter that splits out to 4 plugs when i use it for one nite it blew a fuse. the stock one is 15 I was wondering if i could lower or higher it to make it not blow and still run safely

I have neon's with simple small wires. I wanted to buy an inline fuse but i dont know which one to buy how many amps again?

Is there a general rule about fuses ect? and how do u you know which one to use for which aplication? thanx

Re: Fuses. Someone please help me understand which
Monday, January 02, 2006 1:17 PM
If a neon light blew the cig lighter fuse, you have a short somewhere in the light (or one of the lights you had hooked up). There should be some sort of amperage draw info somewhere either on the light or on the packaging for the light. It will say for example- 5amp max, meaning, it will only draw a max of 5 amps. The next size up from that is 10amp (unless you get into the old barrel style slow blow fuses, they come in 7.5amp), so you use a 10amp fuse. I assume you want to hard wire the neons? I would suggest running them all on the same fuse.

IIRC, theres more info on wiring interior lights in the Interior forum FAQ.

Monday, January 02, 2006 4:27 PM

Quote:

i have a thing in my cig. lighter that splits out to 4 plugs when i use it for one nite it blew a fuse. the stock one is 15 I was wondering if i could lower or higher it to make it not blow and still run safely

lower yes.. higher, no. As james put it, there's prolly a wiring fault somewhere in that circuit -- or its drawing more juice than that circuit can handle.

James, I believe that there are 7.5a blade fuses... not sure where I last saw 'em though.

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:11 PM
Kardain wrote:[James, I believe that there are 7.5a blade fuses... not sure where I last saw 'em though.

Probably the mini blades. Now that I think of it, those come in quite a few different ratings.

Monday, January 02, 2006 11:23 PM
i just a power outlet with pos/neg quick release terminals that have a 3amp fuse on each and plugged it into my fuse box on a 15amp fuse, i have 2 neons, strobes and a radar detector running off it with no problems, so u must have a wiring fault somewhere

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:57 PM
lol its not even the neons i was referring to. I have the neons to the battery directly i was just wondering which size fuse i should use.

As for the cig. lighter i have a power inverter for my laptop and 2 cell phone chargers im obviously sucking too much power out of it

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:06 PM
With neons check either the box or on the neons themselves, they will say what kind of amperage they will draw. Get a fuse according to that.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search