do i have a rare car? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
do i have a rare car?
Friday, October 28, 2005 8:46 PM
idk if anyone knows but here goes...
tell me if this is as ODD to you as it is to me
i own a 1997 chevrolet cavalier Z24 (i KNOW its a z24, the VIN checks out at gm to be infact a Z24) as well as the registration says its a Z24.
ok heres the odd part...
it does NOT have power windows, power locks, rear defrost or cruise control-as well as not having a factory cd player or sunroof. i thought some of these options were even standard, i know some could be ordered or not that way...but i thought all z24's came standard with at least cruize and rear defrost.
tell tale signs its for sure a z24 and these non-options are in fact real.
1.) no rear defrost button anywhere on dash.
2.) no cruise control buttons/controls on the column or anywhere else.
3.) obviously no power windows or locks, door panels have manual cranks.
4.) obviously no sunroof
5.) has the red stitching in front/rear seats and arm rest pads
6.) stock z24 body kit on car, along with the "z24" side moldings
7.) has the 2.4 engine and izuzu 2.4 tranny

now i am the 7th owner of this car, it was orginally bought as a rental car. i carfaxed it and it came up that it had like $1500 worth of damage to the exterior at one time, but all was fixed. the car has a lot of mystery behind it, ive really tried to find out the previous owners etc, but have had no luck in doing so. ne one know how to?
to be completly honest...i have NEVER come across a z24 like this..they all have most of the options etc...mine has absolutly NONE-its even got the 5spd...however it does have air conditoning :S explain that one lol.

now, i know that "rare" might not be the correct term here but how about "unique?" when u find an older chevelle or nova or camaro, and they orginally didnt come with options ive heard that in some cases they are acctually worth MORE today because of it.
i just think this is pretty neat, would like some answers if possible..thanks a lot all.

Black 97' Z24
Blacked Out and Lovin' It...
"Z Yaaaa"

Re: do i have a rare car?
Friday, October 28, 2005 8:55 PM
i have a 97 also and i dont have power mirrors or door locks but i do have a power roof, cd player and cruise control. my friends z24 didnt have the rear defrost or cruise, but had power windows and door locks but his was a 98. that does seem kind of weird that yours doesnt at least have the cd player or cruise.... i think its all in how whoever bought the car first ordered the options, being that it was a rental car first they probably wanted a bare bones minimum car but wanted a little bit more power so opted for the 2.4 instead of the regular 2.2.

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas
Friday, October 28, 2005 8:57 PM
i think GM was totally random when they decided what to put in those cars... yours was made on a "lazy day"... so it got nothing, lol.

Friday, October 28, 2005 9:05 PM
lmao! thats funny...pry went down that way tho knowning gm
dam that kinda blows i was hoping to have something not many others did...i forgot about the power mirrors, it aint got them either lol.

love ur car stealth. perfect. nothing better than an all black blacked out shaved bald tinted cavalier ever thought of headlight/tailight covers or acctually getting them tinted?

Black 97' Z24
Blacked Out and Lovin' It...
"Z Yaaaa"
Friday, October 28, 2005 9:16 PM
my 98 fire gt has no p locks or windows but has the equilizer stereo, cruise , air. i thought that was odd?

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Friday, October 28, 2005 9:27 PM
Guess im lucky, my 98 Sunfire GT HAS it all, power the works, but no manual trunk release on the inside, that one i did find unusual, atleast my old Sunbird had that. I saw a regular Sunfire SE the other day with the 2.4, which struck me as odd, then i happened to look over at the VIN and saw the T, maybe the cars are ordered that way from GM?

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:11 PM
Tony (zdq) has a black 97 Z also, I know his has power locks but manual windows.....Maybe it was something to do with the 97s

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:26 PM
Here is the 1997 Z24 standard equipment, per autopedia.com, seems consistent with your car.

1997 Cavalier Z24 (scroll down)

Another way to verify would be to check your RPO codes for Z24 or FE2.

Sunday, October 30, 2005 6:14 AM
you have a non toyo cavalier. therefore you do not have a rare car

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:39 PM
I guess it must be the perfect mix of cold/hot where you live because if that was an EX rental (5 spd) without any air conditioning or defrost.

Not rare though... just a lot of useless options not included... more power to ya... less replacement parts and motors dying out!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 2:22 PM
My 1996 Z24 only had power locks and cd player and that is it. Everything else is manual. No options

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 5:14 AM
WTF, everything in my 97 sunfire was manual. Except my tranny. No cd player either.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 5:18 AM
your car is rare IF the dash isn't cracked

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 6:16 AM
^ lol!!!!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:52 AM
My old 97' Z had no power windows, power locks, sunroof, power mirrors or c.d. player but did have cruise and rear defrost. I ended up installing power window switches and a power sunroof. My 98' Z however came fully loaded.

-Erin

Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:23 AM
my 98 sedan hass all but 3 options and the 2.4 witch is some what uncommen for a sedan

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:00 PM
my old 96 sunfire SE had a 2.4 with side skirts and all the options my new gt has minus the front bumper i thought that was wierd
Saturday, November 05, 2005 9:24 PM
just be happy that you don't have a bottom of the barrel base model like mine.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search