2.4 rebuild - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 rebuild
Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:42 PM
When rebuilding ur engine, wut exactly do u have to rebuild? i know about the engine block but wut else?

Re: 2.4 rebuild
Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:49 PM
Usually you just freshen them up instead of a complete rebuild. That included, rings, seals, bearings, gaskets, and the occasionally Worn-The-Heck-Out part. Sometimes it's nessecary to have the cylinders bored and honed or even have a sleeve put in because of a cracked cylinder wall. Also the occasional piston or wrist pin. I don't believe the tranny would need a rebuild unless it shifts sloppy or the converter doesn't stall like it should. Hope this helps. -Josh
Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:01 PM
yea it did help. i hate autos though and that's wut i have. How much does all of that cost on average?

Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:22 PM
Zduece4 wrote:yea it did help. i hate autos though and that's wut i have. How much does all of that cost on average?

There is no need to hate your auto...I plan to put down a ton of power on boost with a stock auto tranny to prove my point of why you shouldn't hate it.

As far as average costs...no one can really say because every place charges differently. For bottom end rebuld, you're looking around $1000 for parts alone.

Also a suggestion, don't step into your motor unless you know what the future of your motor is going to be. If you're going to go turbo, you might want to lower your compression. If you're going all motor (N/A), you might want to raise your compression. These are different things that you need to think about before you do anything to it. The same goes for your Valvetrain. Say you want to change your camshafts, do you want extremely aggressive camshafts for an all motor setup? Do you want camshafts specifically made for forced induction? Also, ask alot of questions. Last thing you want to do is to take a step up the ladder and slip and fall cause you didn't do enough research, figuratively speaking.

Good Luck. If you have anymore questions, please ask.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, October 28, 2005 6:20 AM
Well said...
Friday, October 28, 2005 9:25 AM
Agreed! I ran 15+ PSI boost on the auto and it took it very well. The J-body autos seem to hold power extreamely well.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, October 28, 2005 10:25 AM
ok , at first i wanted to go all motor, but as i thought about it i wanna go supercharger. i really just want at least 225-250hp on my motor. if ican get it all motor ill go that route. or with a good supercharger. wut r ur suggestions for that? also I hate auto cuz i love driving stick. i hate the fact that i have to just sit there and mash the pedal, i like the thrill of shifting through all of my power.

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:58 AM
RSM makes a good charger

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, October 28, 2005 1:03 PM
RMS Stage 2.....so expensive they dont even list it on the site probably like 7K lol

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Friday, October 28, 2005 1:17 PM
Brian Anderson (1999-Z24-4spd) wrote:RMS Stage 2.....so expensive they dont even list it on the site probably like 7K lol

I believe it's in the $4500-5000 range

Friday, October 28, 2005 5:16 PM
wut about all motor though? is it possible to go all motor and achieve 225-250hp?

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:50 PM
Zduece4 wrote:wut about all motor though? is it possible to go all motor and achieve 225-250hp?

Not without running some off the wall compression and rebuilding your whole motor from top to bottom. Now, if you went turbo...9 psi, you can be over 200 whp.

Sunday, October 30, 2005 11:54 AM
ok then. which one would be the lowest cost to give me like 220whp? supercharger, rebuild, or turbo? i don't rea;lly want anymore than that for now.

Sunday, October 30, 2005 12:17 PM
Zduece4 wrote:ok then. which one would be the lowest cost to give me like 220whp? supercharger, rebuild, or turbo? i don't rea;lly want anymore than that for now.

Turbo depending on what kind of kit you get or how you build your kit but either way, turbo would get you to that mark.

Monday, October 31, 2005 7:14 AM
thnx, if anyone else has anymore info, feel free to give some input

Monday, October 31, 2005 8:32 AM
Well probably the cheapest is a good nitrous set up.

But like everyone says, gonna need some type of forced induction for the 200+ whp.

Unles Karo says otherwise.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Monday, October 31, 2005 2:57 PM
ok wut about 220bhp? do u have to use turbo for that or can i go all motor or supercharged?

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:45 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:

There is no need to hate your auto...I plan to put down a ton of power on boost with a stock auto tranny to prove my point of why you shouldn't hate it.

im doing the same with mine

-Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)

Girls make me mad and break my heart, but my car is always there for me.
Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:47 PM
i dont know, i wish i had a 5spd that's all..

Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:57 PM
Quote:

There is no need to hate your auto...I plan to put down a ton of power on boost with a stock auto tranny

i could be wrong..but..isnt a turbo "most effective" on the higher end..which is the down side to an auto is you dont have much high end..so wouldnt a supercharger be ideal for a auto???? just a question

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 2:48 PM
Scott - Boost is boost. What differ is where you start seeing boost. If you start seeing boost at 3000km, don't use it on an auto. If you see boost under 2000rpm, that will make the auto trans move.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, November 03, 2005 3:32 PM
question still stands though wouldnt a supercharger be "ideal" for an auto though?

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:28 PM
scott trent wrote:question still stands though wouldnt a supercharger be "ideal" for an auto though?

See, that's the miscomseption that I even had before I started doing more and more research. There are too many turbos out there to say they are all the same because they are far from. Some turbos are more aimed for highend, some more mid-low range. Some are really big and some are small. It all depends on what turbo you pick and what you plan on going as far as power wise and PSI.

Myself, I already have motorwork (rebuilt head and cams) and I know with just that, I could spool a bigger turbo easier than with a stock motor, so that's why I aimed for a T3/T4 turbo which under normal conditions would be at full boost at 3000 RPMs and might be the same for me as well. But there are turbos out there that would be at full boost at 2000 RPMs if you wanted it to be...it all depends on which turbo you pick, the trim you want and how big you want it. Turbo selection was the hardest part for me atleast...I must have said I was getting 4 or 5 different turbos before I finally decided on the T3/T4 .57 trim.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 6:45 PM
well since you put it that way

Thursday, November 03, 2005 8:16 PM
scott trent wrote:well since you put it that way

Yeah, I knew you would understand but it's alright that you thought that way because I thought the same way as well. Shoot, my mom's stock 1.8T Audi A4, that turbo spools full boost so fast it's not even funny, but that's because it's so small and is really only good in lower RPMs, try and reach high RPMs and it sucks terribly. It's sad when my all motor Auto Sunfire has more balls than my mom's 1.8T LOL

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search