stock throtle body sizes - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stock throtle body sizes
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:41 PM
hey i searched but couldn't find anythign what is the stock throttle body sizes on all the motors availbe for sunfires and cavis.. i mean the 2.2 , 2200 , 2.3 , 2.4 , and ecotec . i have a 2001 pontiac sunfire with the 2200 i it and just recently bought a 2.3 HO throttle body to put on it to get beter horespower out of it but any info is greatly appreciated.

Re: stock throtle body sizes
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:06 PM
ECOTEC - 58 MM
2.4 - 52 MM
2.3 - 56 MM
2.2/2200 OHV - I'm not sure...

(the 2.4 and 2.3 info is according to ny-jbodies, correct me if I'm wrong)

As for the 2.3 TB putting onto the 2200, I hear it does help.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:11 PM
yeah i here it opens it up on the high end . i even remember seeing a dyno sayin bout 6 hp i think . not bad if u ask me .i also remmber reading somewhere that the throttlebody is 48 mm for the 2.2 and 2200 . so that is a 8 mm jump .. thats alot more airflow and when i get my head finished those extra mm will be a graeat difference for my motor. thanks for the information NJHK.. i see how you help a lot of people on the forum newbies all the way to poffesionals with little questions. your awesome bro . very nice car too by the way
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:20 PM
blade0604 wrote:yeah i here it opens it up on the high end . i even remember seeing a dyno sayin bout 6 hp i think . not bad if u ask me .i also remmber reading somewhere that the throttlebody is 48 mm for the 2.2 and 2200 . so that is a 8 mm jump .. thats alot more airflow and when i get my head finished those extra mm will be a graeat difference for my motor. thanks for the information NJHK.. i see how you help a lot of people on the forum newbies all the way to poffesionals with little questions. your awesome bro . very nice car too by the way

You're welcome and thank you for the compliments. I really don't mind at all helping people out and just try to educate people a little bit more, especially the newbies...we were all newbies at one point.

Also, a side note, even though it might raise your Horsepower, you might lose in the torque range or just ultimately change your powerband slightly. In this case, it should be a good modification.

Good luck with the swap.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:35 PM
i believe, and i'm sure someone will correct my if i'm wrong, but the 2200 is a 52mm TB

although i was looking for efficiency it did help some, where i was happy was getting 35 mpg normal driving (70/30) after the I/H/HFC/E/TB

Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:37 AM
^^^ 52mm for 2200

Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:00 PM
well i got my throttle body in today .. i can't wait to put it on ... should i do it now or wait till i get my head built and on ? if i should put it on is there anything i would have to do to make it work or is it a direct fit bolt on finsihed kinda thing?
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:05 PM
blade0604 wrote:well i got my throttle body in today .. i can't wait to put it on ... should i do it now or wait till i get my head built and on ? if i should put it on is there anything i would have to do to make it work or is it a direct fit bolt on finsihed kinda thing?

You can put it on without doing any motor work. It's just a bolt on, nothing major.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:22 PM
ok i might put it on tommorow . thanks
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:23 PM
whoa i just found out this throttle body been bored out .. . i measured it from the butterfly inside and instead of it being 56 mm its 58 . is that a big difference? all the vacum lines match up ? and sensers ?
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:55 PM
blade0604 wrote:whoa i just found out this throttle body been bored out .. . i measured it from the butterfly inside and instead of it being 56 mm its 58 . is that a big difference? all the vacum lines match up ? and sensers ?

Hmm...that's a good difference. Like I said before, the bigger the TB, the more likely it will alter your power band. Velocity is a big issue and there are such things as too big.

My suggestion to you is to put it on, drive around with it. Cruise with it and speed in it, see if you notice a gain or a loss in certain areas. If you don't mind it and like the results, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:00 PM
ok i kinda happy cause i might go turbo .. and i'm getting an extra throttle body from thsi other guy so i will bore that one out to 56 and us eit till i deside if i wanna go turbo or not and if i do put the 58 in it . kinda glad it came like that . thanks
Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:24 PM
blade0604 wrote:ok i kinda happy cause i might go turbo .. and i'm getting an extra throttle body from thsi other guy so i will bore that one out to 56 and us eit till i deside if i wanna go turbo or not and if i do put the 58 in it . kinda glad it came like that . thanks

You're welcome. Good luck.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:06 PM
what size r the bolts that hold the throtle body in and do i need a gasket and does everything hook right up .. i heard i neded to split a vacuum line with a t fiting .. is that true . or does everything just bolt and hook rightup ?
Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:16 PM
blade0604 wrote:what size r the bolts that hold the throtle body in and do i need a gasket and does everything hook right up .. i heard i neded to split a vacuum line with a t fiting .. is that true . or does everything just bolt and hook rightup ?

I don't know...can't answer that one.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:43 PM
blade0604 wrote:what size r the bolts that hold the throtle body in and do i need a gasket and does everything hook right up .. i heard i neded to split a vacuum line with a t fiting .. is that true . or does everything just bolt and hook rightup ?

use your stock TB bolts...you only use 2 of them for the 2.3 TB though. Just use your stock gasket if it still seals well(i'd recommend a new one). Use a T fitting to be able to hook up all of the vaccum lines correctly.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search