motor swap? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
motor swap?
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:33 AM
Hey everybody, I'm new to the site, to j-bodies, but not to tuning, i was just given a 95 sunfire 4 door from my mum who bought herself a 2004 saturn ion. while i've been doing the bodywork on my new sunfire, i've been thinking about the motor and how much i dislike it. i looked at the motor in my mum's ion, a 2.2L ecotec, all aluminum, DOHC, distributorless ignition... i like it much better then the garbage motor in my car.

I went on Ebay and i saw a tonne of 2.2 ecotecs for sale and they have like, 5km's on them, some real cheap, 400 US dollars. so im wondering now if my sunfire will accept the newer ecotec motor without much modification of the engine mounts? have any of you done it? if not, what other 4 cylinder motors will it take?

if any of you out there could answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated.

oh and i was wondering if and when u guys have meets so i could talk to people face to face.

thanks

Re: motor swap?
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:07 PM
if your looking into an ecotec your gonna need the engine,the tranny,the ecm,all the wiring..etc.. ....your probably gonna need all that with any engine you put in your car though.
you can go a couple differnt ways though...most Jbody ownders swap the following engines for upgrades
2.2 ecotec
2.3 quad High Output & W41
2.4 Twin Cam
or if you really wont some power you can swap in the 3800
but any of these is gonna be some work and money..just look at how much power you want and how much you can spend

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:00 AM
Also, if you're looking for car parts...check out www.car-parts.com, there are tons of listings and most of them WILL ship you whatever you need.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, October 23, 2005 1:38 PM
scott trent wrote:

How much more engine bay modification etc would swapping in a 3800 as opposed to a 2.2 eco entail? I've always been slightly interested in the prospect (that is if I go with an engine swap might as well get the best) since hearing about it on here a while ago (I think it was Karo's car? or is it a 3600 he has. Either way, that thing is the sweetness)
Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:01 PM
Quote:

if I go with an engine swap might as well get the best)

why dont you just swap a v8 in there then????

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:33 PM
scott trent wrote:
Quote:

if I go with an engine swap might as well get the best)

why dont you just swap a v8 in there then????

I hope you're joking...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, October 24, 2005 12:11 AM
scott trent wrote:why dont you just swap a v8 in there then????

no no that won't do at all. "v8" rhymes with "hate", and I'm all about the love.
Monday, October 24, 2005 8:44 AM
Quote:

I hope you're joking...

do i look like im joking

Monday, October 24, 2005 1:39 PM
i bought an ecotec 5 speed with all the wiring and everything for only $875 off ebay
Monday, October 24, 2005 2:02 PM
Julius Skeezer wrote:
scott trent wrote:

How much more engine bay modification etc would swapping in a 3800 as opposed to a 2.2 eco entail? I've always been slightly interested in the prospect (that is if I go with an engine swap might as well get the best) since hearing about it on here a while ago (I think it was Karo's car? or is it a 3600 he has. Either way, that thing is the sweetness)

more than what are probaly willing to do. JBO member Raven has done the 3800 swap. look him up

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search