ENGINE TROUBLES!!!!! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ENGINE TROUBLES!!!!!
Sunday, October 16, 2005 9:55 PM
I have a problem that I do not know if I was told correctly about. I am having problems with my car reading HOT!!!!260 Degrees HOT! I had a shop use a laser temp reader, and my motor never got over 210 anywhere. Does this mean that my head is cracked? Or is it my water pump? Or is it something else? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Your dreams are rich.....Live by your dreams.....

Re: ENGINE TROUBLES!!!!!
Monday, October 17, 2005 4:27 AM
Change your thermostat. It could be something as simple as it getting stuck.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, October 17, 2005 5:46 AM
Check you sending unit. Or replace it.
Monday, October 17, 2005 9:13 AM
more than likely its your thermostat. you can check the sending unit by hooking up a volt meter to it and get readings

Monday, October 17, 2005 10:23 AM
It could be the thermostat is stuck closed, but if the coolant is circulating, that's probably not it. The sending could be bad and giving a false reading. Check to see if the cooling fan is running at all or if it's running too much. If it's acting up, check the temp sending unit. As far as the water pump, as long as coolant circulates, the pump is working. It could also be a problem with the ECU. As odd as it may sound, I had this problem with a Cavalier a few years back. I checked and even replaced everything related to the cooling system, but nothing worked, and the ECU kept going into limp mode. I went to the dealership and they traced the problem to the ECU's board. They replaced it and I didn't have anymore problems. CHeck everything else first.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:47 AM
Thanks guys

Your dreams are rich.....Live by your dreams.....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search