how to install rotors - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how to install rotors
Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:50 PM
newb question.....how do i install my rotors. when i brought them the salesman said that i needed a degresser spray for the rotors but on the box they say "ready to install"
so can i just pop the old ones off and put the new ones on or do i need to do something special to them that i dont know about.

Sinister Ambitions
when your girl is getting on your last nerve f*#k her dont fight her

Re: how to install rotors
Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:56 PM
hammer the rotor off slide new one on. easy as that.

use brake cleaner to clean the rotors.

-Borsty
Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:48 PM
Probably a good idea to remove the wheel and caliper first.

If the new rotor is oily, then you need to clean it with brake cleaner first. If it's dry, then you can just use it.

If they're not coated, they generally come with oil on them to prevent rust. The coated rotors don't need this.

Friday, October 14, 2005 1:36 AM
well obviously take the caliper and wheel.

-Borsty
Friday, October 14, 2005 4:11 AM
If you are changing your rotors, you are likely changing your pads as well. Have a wire handy to hang the caliper so not to strain the flexible brake line. Approx. 16" long , 14 ga. single strand copper works well. Also a C-clamp to compress the caliper piston. Good luck.
Friday, October 14, 2005 6:54 AM
I have just recently done the front brakes and rotors. I used a few zip ties to hold the caliper to the front shock.
I also went to Princess Auto and bought a rotor puller, believe me it was worth the $10.
Other then that it took me 20 minutes to do the complete front end, and that was with jacking the car and taking the wheels off.
Good luck.
Friday, October 14, 2005 7:16 AM
you dont need to buy anything to hang the rotor. you can simple set it on top of the tie rod and just let it rest there. as for the rotor once the caliper is off you should be able to just pull it off. if not get hammer and tap it around the edges and it will fall right off.

Friday, October 14, 2005 7:34 AM
Sorry to post jack but....when your changing the rotors is it a good idea to change the bearings as well?

Friday, October 14, 2005 7:41 AM
no, just a good idea to do pads as well

Friday, October 14, 2005 11:33 AM
if your changin the pads your gonna need somethin to compress the piston back into the calliper.. also the bolts that hold the caliper in place require a hex type socket, in case you didn't already no... not sure what size it is.

Friday, October 14, 2005 12:01 PM
WTF is a rotor puller??

Friday, October 14, 2005 12:07 PM
rotor puller = rubber mallet

Friday, October 14, 2005 1:06 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:WTF is a rotor puller??

Well,, it has to arms on it and they attach behind the rotor and you use a racket to tighten it. As you do that the to arms pull the rotor.
My drivers side rotor would not come off. Believe me I tried beating the @!#$ out of it to get it off and no go. I used the rotor puller and it worked just fine.
If I had my digi cam here I would take a pick of the puller.
Friday, October 14, 2005 8:45 PM
no u dont need to change the bearings when u do brakes.you only need to when they go bad.the hex head u need is 3/8 allen head

relized that i can never win.sometimes i feel like i have faild inside.wher do i begin.my mind is laughing at me.
Friday, October 14, 2005 11:18 PM
hooder44 wrote:no u dont need to change the bearings when u do brakes.you only need to when they go bad.the hex head u need is 3/8 allen head

I think the bearings in Cavaliers are sealed and never need to be serviced.

However, on some older cars you would need to repack the bearings which I do every time I change the brakes.

It is a good idea however to inspect the bearings to see if they are damaged or make any funny grinding/squeaking noises.

And it is a good idea to spray not degreaser, but brake parts cleaner on new rotors. The rust preventitive can sometimes heat up too quickly and make the rotor warp more easily, especially with new pads. It's not a life or death situation, but it never hurts to just give it a quick spray.

Saturday, October 15, 2005 1:53 AM
if you use a rotor puller you have to be the biggest pansy on the planet.

-Borsty
Saturday, October 15, 2005 6:33 AM
Borsty wrote:if you use a rotor puller you have to be the biggest pansy on the planet.

this is true

Saturday, October 15, 2005 7:35 AM
Borsty wrote:if you use a rotor puller you have to be the biggest pansy on the planet.

Believe me, I am no pansy. My rotor was on there good and tight. I was hitting it with the hammer so hard it was warping the rotor. It was like the rotor was pushed up against the lugs and would not budge.
Saturday, October 15, 2005 2:20 PM
ive done maybe 30 disc brake jobs in my life. if never had that much of a problem

i got a special trick thou, tighten two of the lug nuts on when the wheel is off.

-Borsty
Saturday, October 15, 2005 4:41 PM

and again borsty proves he is not one to beat around the bush

and yeah, i have never had a stuck rotor, mine always just slide off.....mabey because i change pads and rotors at 10k miles, theyre not too much money, may as well change em

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search