How much work will this take - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How much work will this take
Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:23 PM
I own a '00 Cavalier 2.0 coupe, and i am hoping to get at least 160 hp out of the car within the next 8 weeks. I have an intake, header, catback exhaust, and hi flow, all from RK Sport. I was wondering, if i added all of these parts, would i experience any engine problems or anything i should add to the list in order to keep my car running after adding these parts?

~Geoff

Re: How much work will this take
Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:30 PM
u need boost to get to that point

and u dont have a 2.0

-Borsty
Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:10 PM
you have a 2.2 and you don't need boost to get there.

some knowledge would help. You won't get 160hp from bolt on.

Since you have a 2200, you have 115hp to start with.

So you have an intake and exhaust witch SHOULD be good for about 15 hp. So know you have 130hp. You need 30 more.

Read about the roller rockers, change the cam, get an aluminium flywheel(if you have a manual).

An engien build up would bring you there. Change the rods, pistons, cam, push rods, lifter, rockers, ...

If you go with a cam and the rockers, you will be close to your goal.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:24 PM
If you had an ECOTEC you could be shooting for 200hp like me

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, October 14, 2005 12:03 AM
sorry, i meant 2.2 non-ecotec, but yea, that advice helps, which is a better way to go though, supercharger or turbo?
Friday, October 14, 2005 12:50 AM
supercharger is less maintenance, but also less potential.

Friday, October 14, 2005 1:20 AM
The key to power in the OHV is the working the Cylinder Head

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, October 14, 2005 1:34 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:So you have an intake and exhaust witch SHOULD be good for about 15 hp.

your seriously the last person i would ever expect to post something like that.

-Borsty
Friday, October 14, 2005 3:49 AM
I said SHOULD. I know 15hp is a bit high but possible. Every engines are different. I know that on 2.3 and 2.4 an intake and full exhaust can get 15hp but not on every engines.

Btw, I tried to be nice to the guy and give him hope.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, October 14, 2005 12:08 PM
A correction here the stock 2200 only puts down about 90hp to the wheels +/-5whp. The 115hp rating is at the crank not the wheels.

Short of nitrous and/or boost you can make over 160hp but you will be spending alot more then a turbo or s/c will cost you, and wont yield nearly the results of boost.

My motor after being built put down 149whp and has well over 10k of work into when you consider the trial & error, and labor to get to that point. Mind you this was back in 99 before there was much if anything out for our motor so you may spend less but I dont know.

So to sum it up you will need to tear the motor down to the bare block and build it back from the bottom up, or get boost / nitrous.

Friday, October 14, 2005 3:07 PM
i say you do a 2.4 swap and you will be 10 hp away from your goal

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims

Friday, October 14, 2005 6:20 PM
Quote:

i say you do a 2.4 swap and you will be 10 hp away from your goal

a good point hehe...or he could do a HO swap and be 20hp Over his goal either is good though

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Friday, October 14, 2005 6:27 PM
lol 3.8 supercharge it. i honestly think that you might be able to save money if you get a 2.4 at a good price, and do simple mods like intake, exhause and header......instead of boosting it. because the 2.4 has around 35 more HP than the 2.2's. would you consider the swap as an option?

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Friday, October 14, 2005 9:41 PM
yea, if i could find one for a good price, i was thinking that, but i didn't know if labor would be too much problem
Friday, October 14, 2005 9:56 PM
there any way you could do the labor your self??if not it might get a littlllle bit pricey..but thats the way the car rolls

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Saturday, October 15, 2005 1:56 AM
Mfk-223 wrote:I said SHOULD. I know 15hp is a bit high but possible. Every engines are different. I know that on 2.3 and 2.4 an intake and full exhaust can get 15hp but not on every engines.

Btw, I tried to be nice to the guy and give him hope.

yeah but a 2.3 ho is a completely different story lol i would be surprised if he got more then 8 hp out of both of those.

dont give him crazy ideas, thats where we get stupid people saying there I/H/E on their 2200 gives them 200 hp and @!#$ lol.

-Borsty
Saturday, October 15, 2005 2:14 AM
i have an idea...sell ur 2000 and get an older 2.4l sunfire gt

Saturday, October 15, 2005 5:33 AM
Btw Borsty, I was talking about BHP, not WHP. Still, you have a good point.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, October 16, 2005 7:56 PM
Quote:

i would be surprised if he got more then 8 hp out of both

I was thinking 5.

1997 Sunfire
WAI
pacesetter header
Underdrive pulley = STILL SLOW.
50 shot of NX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search