THE GREATEST NOOB QUESTION (Tranny or Engine Swap) - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
THE GREATEST NOOB QUESTION (Tranny or Engine Swap)
Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:45 AM
So. I saw an ad on the newspaper where this guy wants $500 for a Sunfire 97 5-speed ( I got a Sunfire GT 97 automatic by the way), he said the car needed a new engine though, a gasket blew or something, so here comes the greatest noob question of all... Is that car even worth buying? Considering that I could do a tranny swap? Or engine swap? My friend and his dad know about mechanics so labor isn't a problem here.

Re: THE GREATEST NOOB QUESTION (Tranny or Engine Swap)
Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:59 AM
if you get lucky you can score an engine off of ebay for under 500 bucks...and you can use more than just an engine from another sunfire/cavalier. i say try to find an engine first. if you find one, buy the car, put in the engine and sell it for 2 grand.

GO PATS!!!
Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:17 PM
Personally, I would swap the good motor from your auto sunfire to the five speed ( after checking the chassis of the 5-speed to make sure it's worth using of course). My experience with auto to 5speed conversions has taught me to avoid it when possible. Then as Sparks said earlier buy a cheap motor of ebay or wherever and put it in your auto and sell it for 2-3 grand.

"Heaven is what you make it, and Hell is what you go through."

I think I met you in another life... I didn't like you then either.
Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:30 PM
you could just buy a new motor for it swap it and keep that sunfire and sell yours
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search