Intake+Water=Not Good - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intake+Water=Not Good
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:16 PM
I have an intake on my 04 cavi and i just wanted to know if anybody else gets water on there intake in the rain. After it rains and I open the hood there are water marks on the polished part. is that normal?

thanks

Best Time 15.917 at 86.86MPH

Re: Intake+Water=Not Good
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:36 PM
sure is. i've noticed that several times with my intake. the water just comes in through the gap under the front of the hood and comes straight back onto the intake tube.

getting a little water into the intake isn't a horrible thing, it won't hurt the car much. just so long as you don't get too much water in and lock up your engine.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:38 PM
isn't that where a bypass valve would help?

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 10:16 PM
[quote=Ozzie(aka Jäger-Boy)]isn't that where a bypass valve would help?

They usually offer those on the "CAI" style intakes but in this case he's talking about watermarks on his intake, like cannonfodder said, it's a normal occurance and I highly doubt he's getting any water inside his intake and into his motor.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 10:27 PM
The only time you will damage your engine with water is when you submerge the filter in water and suck it in. Sucking in mist isn't a bad thing, it actually can help steam clean your engine and exhaust, reduce knock, and other not-so-bad things.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:57 AM
Shifted wrote:The only time you will damage your engine with water is when you submerge the filter in water and suck it in. Sucking in mist isn't a bad thing, it actually can help steam clean your engine and exhaust, reduce knock, and other not-so-bad things.

exactly, actually my intake filter sits right behind the drivers side hood scoop. I usually dont have to much of a problem when it rains. The engine sounds deeper but so far it hasnt hurt anything.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:10 PM
Shifted wrote:The only time you will damage your engine with water is when you submerge the filter in water and suck it in. Sucking in mist isn't a bad thing, it actually can help steam clean your engine and exhaust, reduce knock, and other not-so-bad things.

What he said. A little water never hurts an engine, but ALOT will hydrolock it and you'll need a new one.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search