Brakes - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brakes
Monday, October 03, 2005 1:53 PM
Did a little search didn't find anything so heres so questions i have. When i press the brake pedal do my back brakes engauge also or just the front ones? i was told to pull my ebrake slowly to see if the back brakes a good or not and when i do it "jumps" kind like skips on and off the pad till a complete stop so im guessin this is bad? my brakes do this also when just stopin normally. and do i have 4 disk brakes or drum in the back??

Re: Brakes
Monday, October 03, 2005 2:33 PM
you have drum brakes in the rear.

your rear brakes will engage when you press the pedal, though most of your stopping comes from the front.

pirates kick ninja asses, f00
Monday, October 03, 2005 4:58 PM
falnfenix wrote:you have drum brakes in the rear.

your rear brakes will engage when you press the pedal, though most of your stopping comes from the front.

x2

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:11 AM
Your front brakes actually do engage before your front brakes will, the time difference is so small that you cannot tell. This is due to your front brakes being a hydraulic application, while the back pads are mechanical. In the front the brake pads are literally hundreths of an inch from the rotor, while the rear pads are usually tenths of an inch from the drum. So yes your front brakes will grab first before your rear ones do. And as for your "jumping" problem, go to your local shop and get them adjusted and checked out...chances are the pads aren't close enough to push against the drum when you do apply the brakes....Thats my two cents...

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:12 AM
Oops typo...your front brakes will engage before the rear ones will...my bad...shoulda proof read

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:22 AM
could also be that the drum needs to be "turned" or resurfaced.

You can't tell by the naked eye if it'll need to be turned or so I've been told.

that's my 2 cents

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:57 AM
Matt Williams wrote:Oops typo...your front brakes will engage before the rear ones will...my bad...shoulda proof read

No they won't. They might do that the very first time you hit the brake, but this is what metering valves are there for. They hold a bit of pressure in the back to keep the shoes close to the drums rather than letting the springs pull them all the way back.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:47 PM
Oh yeah forgot about that....thanks for the correction!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:59 PM
the rear brakes are hydraulic too. Only the E-brake is mechanical.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search