MSD Swap Finally Complete (56K Go For Lunch) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MSD Swap Finally Complete (56K Go For Lunch)
Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:04 PM
I finally got the fabrication done for the bracket to mount my coils on. Then found a mounting spot which I think is pretty good. This mod has been to long in the making. Purely b/c of my lazyness in getting the bracket fabbed up and making the wires.

I origionally bought custom MSD wires for a V8 when I bought the coils where you cut them yourself to the length you want(so I could have two sets). I took them back to the performance shop I bought them at. They exchanged them for me b/c I was to lazy to make them. So I got a V8 set with the lengths I wanted after doing some browsing and measuring in the MSD catalogue.

Pros/Cons of swap.

-Car seemes to start better(Sometimes it starts like normal and sometimes with barely turning the key, could be a hot/cold engine thing)
-No more Misfires/hesitation at WOT with the S/C kit (which is partly why I did the swap - plugs were gapped down to .30 after S/C install b/c of hesitation/misfire issues with GM .50 settings. With gap at .30 it wasnt to bad at WOT, none to be seen of now after swap)
-Better gas mileage? (havent noticed anything, I still have the same plugs in there from when I installed the S/C kit 26,000km ago, might change them out for some new ones)
-Car seems alot quicker on accelleration and peppier.

I also need some wire clips/organizers (cant find them anywere and the wires set never came with any). Also for the intake filter, I put that on there to make room for the MSD swap. I think I'm going to fab up a CAI soon. I know the filter is not in a good place behind the hot rad.

So here are some pictures of the car. Dont mind the dirty under hood pictures or the dirty car. It's been raining out. I know it needs washed.

Questions/comments welcome.

Before

After

Regards,

Re: MSD Swap Finally Complete (56K Go For Lunch)
Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:24 PM
Nice. Wana make me a bracket like that?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:53 PM
nice!

was it made from a piece of radiator support?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:32 PM
nice
love those wheels

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:36 PM
Nice job..

Could of saved ya some time and bought some GTP MSD wires, that set has the lenghts you need.. Oh well, ya got it

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:08 PM
where did you get the clutch reservoir bracket? i am looking for one because i keep mine up with zipties lol

Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:56 PM
Very nice Sunfire. I am working on a similar mount for my coils, but mine will run under the fuse box

Quote:

Could of saved ya some time and bought some GTP MSD wires, that set has the lenghts you need.. Oh well, ya got it

Hmm, I will have to look into that. I was going to get a universal set and cut them to length

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:23 PM
Very pretty, where's the DIS box though?

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:38 PM
Nice clean setup man.
On the plug gap, try a larger gap instead of the .030 to a .040 or .045 for some experimentation of your ignition.
With my system, I had to run .045 on the stock coil over plug setup by GM and with the external DIS system, went with the full .060 gap with no issues at all.
I'd also probably recommend that you invest in the DIS II by MSD for even better, smoother, and more pronounce spark especially since you're boosted.
Nice review man and pretty similar to everyone else that has done this.
Continued good luck with it.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:14 AM
icemike89 wrote:Nice. Wana make me a bracket like that?

I modified the strut tower cruise control bracket off a 99. I cut alot of it away them mounted my coils to it. I first mounted the coils together then mounted them to the bracket. I also used the rubber grommets off it to put on the back of the bolts to it wouldnt rub up against the fuse box. I honed out the bolt hole as well a little bit to make it sit better. I also put some soft material under the bracket where it goes over the fuse box cover so it wouldnt rub/squeek.

I can get closer pics if you want.
Friday, August 22, 2008 7:15 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Nice job..

its trickey to know what wires you will need. It all depends on where you mount the coils. If you mount is closer then you can use shorter wires. Further then something else is needed.

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:16 AM
sunburst04cav wrote:where did you get the clutch reservoir bracket? i am looking for one because i keep mine up with zipties lol

The bracket is the AEM bracket that I ordered a long time ago when I had my WAI before I hacked it all up.
Friday, August 22, 2008 7:17 AM
Skunk wrote:Very pretty, where's the DIS box though?

At this time I was looking for a fairly cheap mod to help the car run better with the S/C on it. Misfires at WOT and hesitation.
Friday, August 22, 2008 7:22 AM
Misnblu wrote:Nice clean setup man.
On the plug gap, try a larger gap instead of the .030 to a .040 or .045 for some experimentation of your ignition.
With my system, I had to run .045 on the stock coil over plug setup by GM and with the external DIS system, went with the full .060 gap with no issues at all.
I'd also probably recommend that you invest in the DIS II by MSD for even better, smoother, and more pronounce spark especially since you're boosted.
Nice review man and pretty similar to everyone else that has done this.
Continued good luck with it.

I'm going to get another set of plugs ordered for it. On those I was going to up the gap to .35 or maybe .40 and see how it runs. The car runs very smooth, when I pulled the plugs when I hooked everything up the plugs were nice and white on the end and clean burning.

Odd thing though since the swap I think the car is using more gas so I'm not sure what is up with that. Or I'm just laying my foot into it to much. What would cause it to use so much gas?

Regards,
Friday, August 22, 2008 12:52 PM
Quote:

What would cause it to use so much gas?

Keep your foot out of it. lol
Other than that, not sure why you're using more gas.
Maybe HPT can let you set you fuel maps a bit better with the better running ignition.
Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:23 PM
Misnblu wrote:
Quote:

What would cause it to use so much gas?

Keep your foot out of it. lol
Other than that, not sure why you're using more gas.
Maybe HPT can let you set you fuel maps a bit better with the better running ignition.
Good luck.

I know that will cause more gas usage. But I dont go into boost all the time. I was talking about normal driving.

Here is some information I found on sparkplugs.com site.

"Always check that the spark plug gap is compatible with the engine manufacturers specification. A gap that is too small means that the spark duration will be very quick and the spark will be thin and weak. The consequences of this may be bad starting and high exhaust emission levels. This will result in an increase in fuel consumption. If the gap is set too large, the ignition system will not be able to cope with the demands and a misfire situation will occur. Some wide gap spark plugs have a longer ground electrode to accommodate a wide gap setting. These must be used where specified, as opening up a standard plug to a wider gap setting may result in the electrodes not running parallel to each other. This could result in abnormal and premature electrode wear."

Like you said earlier. I should increase my gap. When I get my new plugs I'll go from .30 and try .40 then if no good .35
Friday, August 22, 2008 5:09 PM
Before your ignition upgrade, did you have to lessen the gap of your plugs to offset the advent of boost?
I don't know the history of your car, whether it came with the supercharger or you installed it after the fact.
With improved ignition, you should be able to be close to going with your factory gap if your n/a but in your case, if they make a specific plug for you to use for supercharger application, I'd use those at the recommended gap.
Also, with the DIS II ignition system, you'll have more than enough fire to be able to not have anymore issues with the forced induction blowing out the flame front of a plug not designed for the application.
I personally believe you could do much better with your whole setup if you went with the DIS II to maximize your ignition to it's full potential.

Other than that, experimentation will have to work for now so see how things go with gas mileage checking at each fillup and making those adjustments to the gap until you do find the right gap for your car.
This is how the old school gear heads did it with high compression engines in their V8's and still do to this day.
I had to do the same with my car even though it's only a basic n/a, near stock engine. Once I did upgrade to the external DIS and DIS II, I realized (through experimentation) that I could use the full .060 gap on the car with no ill effects of not enough spark.

Keep us up to date with this.
This should be good for those with similar setups as yours and keeps future modders from having to do the homework themselves.
Good luck with it.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, August 22, 2008 6:41 PM
I am taking notes

I know with my car and the GM SC, it was breaking up in the upper RPM's before I changed to the 2.2 coils. I only recently had a misfire with the car when it was on the dyno, I think because the operator bounced it off the rev limiter. I will pull the plugs ( 1 heat range cooler ) and check my gap, but I think it is @ .35.

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:35 PM
you had to use the coil interfaces to run those coils right???? doing the same swap with my car right now and i think i have to have the interfaces.

thanks
jason

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:32 PM
Misnblu wrote:Before your ignition upgrade, did you have to lessen the gap of your plugs to offset the advent of boost?
I don't know the history of your car, whether it came with the supercharger or you installed it after the fact.
With improved ignition, you should be able to be close to going with your factory gap if your n/a but in your case, if they make a specific plug for you to use for supercharger application, I'd use those at the recommended gap.
Also, with the DIS II ignition system, you'll have more than enough fire to be able to not have anymore issues with the forced induction blowing out the flame front of a plug not designed for the application.
I personally believe you could do much better with your whole setup if you went with the DIS II to maximize your ignition to it's full potential.

Other than that, experimentation will have to work for now so see how things go with gas mileage checking at each fillup and making those adjustments to the gap until you do find the right gap for your car.
This is how the old school gear heads did it with high compression engines in their V8's and still do to this day.
I had to do the same with my car even though it's only a basic n/a, near stock engine. Once I did upgrade to the external DIS and DIS II, I realized (through experimentation) that I could use the full .060 gap on the car with no ill effects of not enough spark.

Keep us up to date with this.
This should be good for those with similar setups as yours and keeps future modders from having to do the homework themselves.
Good luck with it.

- I isntalled the S/C on my car last July.
-the S/C kit comes with it's own plugs. The S/C instructions say to gap at .50 the car ran good with that gap. But as soon as you went into boost it would misfire and hesitate. I talked with a buddy of mine and he said to drop the gap to .30 and I never had as many issues after that. There was still the odd misfire/hesitation at WOT but not as much with the larger gap.
-I will probably look into the DIS II setup in the future.
-Since the swap to the MSD coils the car has no hesitation/Misfires at WOT. This is what I was going for to smooth out the idle and get rid of that issue. I'm going to pickup a new set of plugs this week and start the gap at .40 and see how it runs from there.
Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:34 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:I am taking notes

I know with my car and the GM SC, it was breaking up in the upper RPM's before I changed to the 2.2 coils. I only recently had a misfire with the car when it was on the dyno, I think because the operator bounced it off the rev limiter. I will pull the plugs ( 1 heat range cooler ) and check my gap, but I think it is @ .35.

I would check your Sparkplug gap. I'm running fine at .30 right now but since the coil upgrade I'm going to try and increase it little by little.

If you weren't experiencing any misfires before with .35 then I would think it was b/c the dyno guy bounced it off the limiter on the dyno.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:44 PM
jason norwood wrote:you had to use the coil interfaces to run those coils right???? doing the same swap with my car right now and i think i have to have the interfaces.

thanks
jason

Yes I think that they are called below the coils. If you look in my pics above you can see the interfaces bolted underneith the coils. Then it's wired up and plugs directly into the OEM ICM module under the IDI cover.

I have a picture I think of the wiring diagram on my home computer. I'll post it up tonight if I can find it for ya.
Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:09 PM
sorry i guess i didn't read far enough into this, i have the dis-2 so i will not need your schematic but thanks though!

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:21 AM
Does anyone know where to find some wire clips? I cant seem to find any at local parts stores. Only ones for like v8's on those chrome brackets. There MSD 8.5MM wires.
Monday, August 25, 2008 9:02 AM

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search