half-way done - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
half-way done
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:31 PM
finally got everythin back together in workin order, and figured y not try and make a custom ram-air, cant hurt. If it helps good, if not oh well.

i know the glue is ulgly but its just a test run, and it all only cost $2

Kill list:03 eclipse, 06 GTO, 04 Mach 1 Mustang

Re: half-way done
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:36 PM
I dont know about that I would be worried about when it rains

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:48 PM
easy to block off, especally with all the foil and other crap in the car from fiberglassin

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:55 PM
It looks to be a good idea in theory, not sure how practical it is. Maybe make some kind of box to cover the whole filter?

Good Idea though!

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:57 PM
where did you get that black piece you connect the tb to the intake

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:02 PM
I had that idea all designed up for my neon a few years ago made from aluminum from home depot and wanted to transfer it over but was thinkin if i box in the filter its only gonna pull from the plastic tube and operate just like a CAI in the fender wall, but at idle the path for air to travel is goin to be longer and could lower performance on a daily driver. Tho the box idea could work well for racin when at WOT.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:11 PM
Thats a good point, even at WOT it will be pulling in some air from the tube so at least it would help lower the intake air temp a little.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:21 PM
tru tru

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:55 PM
megatron wrote:I dont know about that I would be worried about when it rains

more than likely won't have rain travel up and over. but it does look like it's at an open end from the bumper so no filtration for debris.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:39 PM
is the entire intake home made or just the new addition.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:59 AM
i thought the point of a intake was to have a smooth tube to TB instead of the stock ribbed one? maybe im crazy but whatever

and also, if thats going into the tip of the cone, is it even being filtered at all? i mean im sure it is, cant be that dumb, but it doesnt look like it. that would be bad news.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:12 AM
1320dance wrote:where did you get that black piece you connect the tb to the intake

lol i think its rv toilet tubin found it in the back of walmart.

Mark O wrote:is the entire intake home made or just the new addition.

the actual intake is a 2.4 ebay intake with bomz filter. where i have the tube connected there is filtered cone goin inward so its filtered at that point, looks like this one, i know it should be smoth but im just playin with it now, if it helps ill look for a smooth tube to connect and a K&N filter thats the same design

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:53 PM
Hmm... good luck on your project bro, but you may want to take off the attachment you made during the winter, (If you get snow) As that could pretty easily clog up the air intake tube, the way you have it facing the wind. You could easily reattach it once snow time is over though. I would also do it in mandrel bent. And have the filter extend down to where the plastic tube goes as your engine temps probably warm the air up a bit anyways with your filter situated where it is eh?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:13 PM
thats not going to work at all.., well at most very little.., i mean the entire filter is exposed still.., its just going to draw in air that is in the engine bay..., its pretty common sense now if the rest of the filter was enclosed and the tube was the only means of taking in air then yes.., but it will just by pass the tube and draw air from the closest point.., inside the engine bay... oh and id take that 2.4 intake off unless of course you don't like power steering, then by all means keep it on.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:08 PM
wckdfire wrote: oh and id take that 2.4 intake off unless of course you don't like power steering, then by all means keep it on.

and why is that?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:11 PM
K. Vega,Now With Vitamin Boost wrote:
wckdfire wrote: oh and id take that 2.4 intake off unless of course you don't like power steering, then by all means keep it on.

and why is that?

I fail to see how an intake is going to take away from the power steering, I don't know.. maybe I'm crazy or something, but it just seems to be two whole different parts of an engine. Atleast, that's what I've always thought.

1983 Camaro Z28
Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:28 PM
Mark O wrote:Hmm... good luck on your project bro, but you may want to take off the attachment you made during the winter, (If you get snow) As that could pretty easily clog up the air intake tube, the way you have it facing the wind. You could easily reattach it once snow time is over though. I would also do it in mandrel bent. And have the filter extend down to where the plastic tube goes as your engine temps probably warm the air up a bit anyways with your filter situated where it is eh?

clog up the intake? even if a rat got sucked in there all it would do was block air to the top part of the intake, which has the smallest amount of surface area on the entire cone.

god some of the replies on on this thread just make my head hurt

as far as the idea goes, i see where your gettin it from, but it cant be making a difference either way, other than it making your engine bay look kinda like a hack job

Monday, November 26, 2007 12:53 PM
well i took it for a long drive over te break and it reall does not make a difference at all, so it will be off soon enough. i can sell it to some of the ricers around my town lol

Monday, November 26, 2007 12:57 PM
wckdfire wrote:... oh and id take that 2.4 intake off unless of course you don't like power steering, then by all means keep it on.

theres tons of people with eco's using the 2.4 intake, how is it gonna damage my power steering, i've had it on for over 2 years now

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:39 PM
locdizzel wrote:
wckdfire wrote:... oh and id take that 2.4 intake off unless of course you don't like power steering, then by all means keep it on.

theres tons of people with eco's using the 2.4 intake, how is it gonna damage my power steering, i've had it on for over 2 years now

ive seen and heard because the 2.4 intake doesn't fit properly it @!#$ up the power steering pump.., cause its attached to that bolt.., but what very you want lol.., i mean ive even seen a 2.4 intake on a 2.4 @!#$ up the power steering pump

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:17 PM
My K&N Typhoon intake is Attached to that bolt. No Damage.

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:34 PM
wckdfire wrote:
locdizzel wrote:

ive seen and heard because the 2.4 intake doesn't fit properly it @!#$ up the power steering pump.., cause its attached to that bolt.., but what very you want lol.., i mean ive even seen a 2.4 intake on a 2.4 @!#$ up the power steering pump

..... I can kinda get what u mean, The engine moves, thus moving the intake, in return pulling on the pump. BUT, The pump is also attached to the engine, so the pump is moving with the engine just as the intake will be.

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:39 PM
Weapon-r makes a ram-air kit like that

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:53 PM
That last pic is Sexy!

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:44 PM
its not really the movement of the intake or engine, it that the 2.4 intake doesn't fit very well over the tb cable thus pushing on it putting more pressure on that bolt which hold the pump into the block cause its cam driven.., loose pump = bad

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search