So me and my buddy got bored. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
So me and my buddy got bored.
Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:34 AM
Well I've been going through this forum a whole these past days and I decided to take my mouldings off because I thought it would look good.

What do you guys think?

The Before:

The After:

Re: So me and my buddy got bored.
Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:45 AM
Did it hurt?? Looks much better

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:13 AM
how do you go about doin that anyways? I heard something about using fishing line to break the tape loose but will the tape take paint off as it is removed?

We Ride Together, We Die Together...... J-Bodies For Life!
SPONSORED BY: Showstopper Tuning, JM Graphics
2003 Cavalier LS Sport "SHOCKWAVE"
Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:27 AM
fishing line FTW! then just use 3m adhesive remover, carb spray... pretty much anything thats a "goo" remover and ur fingers and get the tape off

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:30 AM
Heat gun, goo gone, and nice blister on your thumb.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:32 AM
if its warm enough out you don't even need any of that...when it really hott out from the sun beatin down on it it'll actually just pull right off..just make sure you don't pull the paint off w/ it..then use goo gone to take off the rest

Saturday, April 07, 2007 11:18 AM
So its pretty much like debadging? Damn I thought there was more to it than that, Ill prolly do it next week. I guess you realy gotta buff it afterwards cause I always see people with lines from it.

Oh and a heat gun realy does help when debadging and things like that. The other day we debadged and removed the stripes from my friends 98 neon r/t and it was impossible without a heatgun. Then gave it its first wax ever, haha.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 11:52 AM
so is it really easy to pull the paint off? i mean how gentle must you be? because i really don't wanna have to get the paint fixed i just got the damn car back lol.

We Ride Together, We Die Together...... J-Bodies For Life!
SPONSORED BY: Showstopper Tuning, JM Graphics
2003 Cavalier LS Sport "SHOCKWAVE"
Saturday, April 07, 2007 2:45 PM
Patrick Myers wrote:so is it really easy to pull the paint off? i mean how gentle must you be? because i really don't wanna have to get the paint fixed i just got the damn car back lol.

I did this not to long ago. If you use some fishing line and take your sweet time, you should have no worrys. The left over residue can be removed with some goo gone and your thumb. Its gonna take a while to get it super clean but it is worth it. Yourf paint will be fine. I did this to my 2005 Cavy

Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:03 PM
z yaaaa wrote:fishing line FTW! then just use 3m adhesive remover, carb spray... pretty much anything thats a "goo" remover and ur fingers and get the tape off

carb spray is a little too harsh...3m adhesive or goo gone will work fine.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 5:34 AM
i did it to my 02 cav (2 years ago maybe?) and i had absolutely no issues with paint coming off. only thing that sucked is there is a minor line that ive never been able to get off. it looks like hardened glue? or something? its so thin and so faint that you cant see it unless you are looking for it but i was never able to buff it out. I used, Acetone, Goo Gone, and 3M adhesive remover for the project.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:21 AM
We didn't have any paint issues. It was like 0 degrees out (32 farenheit) And we had some trouble because the adhesive was really sticking. Took us like an hour to do it. Heat gun our thumbs and some automotive goo gone did the trick.
Sunday, April 08, 2007 10:42 AM
Personally I like having Cavalier LS on my trunk lid, and the side moldings have done there job more than once.

But the bow-ties had to go on my car. lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search