7psi + Failed Oil Pump = - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
7psi + Failed Oil Pump =
Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:46 PM
...an early end to a season that already started far too late. It took a long time to tune the fire after the turbo setup went in (here and there, because of all the work at the shop) and when it was finally running well, my oil pump failed and a really bad rod knock developed. She ended the season with us towing her in to her stall at the shop.

But no worries!

This winter the engine's coming out, I'm tearing her down, sending her out for a line bore and fully building her from the bottom up (rods, pistons, cam, rockers, valves, stall...) With a bunch of other custom goodies, she'll see 7psi next season and a 75-100 wet shot of nitrous. Anywho, ON TO THE PICS FROM THIS SEASON! :-) Questions/comments are always welcome!

The only real shot I was able to get of my two cars this season

Peace out and goodnight!!!

Re: 7psi + Failed Oil Pump =
Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:50 PM
Nice car, nice asian... I love asians! No for real though... very sweet setup, I hope so see it stronger next season!

Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:50 PM
so did you get your license plates changed half way through the season or are you trying to confuse the cops?

Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:51 PM
oooh baby! that looks nice.
a nice polished alternator would look so clean in there.
good luck with everything!

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:35 PM
Mmmm.... Good times chris...

From the all nighter b4 the sport compact show....

to the last meet up at the farmers market...

..... next season will be better yet.

Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:43 PM
sucks to here........ maybe swap in 2 cams during the new build

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:27 PM
gotta love the model doing the shocker.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:33 PM
boy do I know what that feels like

Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.
Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:46 PM
cannon fodder-
Honestly, choice A; but I'm a sneaky one so don't think the latter is beyond me

Nity9CavSedanCRJ-
Amen brother, amen

SpeedRacerZ-
Haha...NEVER!!!

Jcavi (JoeDM in training)-
Dfinitely is a bad feeling, especially when everything was coming together. But y'know, it just gave me that kick-in the pants to do what I'm doing this winter, so maybe it wasn't ALL bad

Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:00 PM
SO have you tore the motor apart yet? Any pictures of it?

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:16 PM
That fire is flawless...first time i see it too...asian chick...hmmm i dont know, i went through a stage of liking em...but now hispanics hog my liking

Monday, October 02, 2006 6:05 AM
John Higgins-

I have most of the car ripped apart--bumper, fenders, hood, charge piping, starter, manifold, alternator... I pulled all the bolts to the oil pan in hopes that I could drop it and check out the damage but there's a bracing system underneath that won't allow it to come off. Gonna have to wait 'til the engine's out. I should be able to have it on the stand in a week or two (again, working on it here and there when we have time)

Monday, October 02, 2006 6:45 AM
Damn, I love your charge pipes, Thats exactly how I want mine........polished

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, October 02, 2006 7:49 AM
ohhhh damn!

sorry to hear about the oil pump...

but hot damn, i love ur car.

Portage, MI
Monday, October 02, 2006 9:50 AM
Simply impressed with your work on the turbo set up, your RD FABS is the @!#$!

sucks about the oil pump. Its a way to bring it out in big again next year!

nice girl there, is she yours?

Monday, October 02, 2006 11:09 AM
Looks awesome man!!! Get her up and running again.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 4:32 AM
Agent Omega wrote:John Higgins-

I have most of the car ripped apart--bumper, fenders, hood, charge piping, starter, manifold, alternator... I pulled all the bolts to the oil pan in hopes that I could drop it and check out the damage but there's a bracing system underneath that won't allow it to come off. Gonna have to wait 'til the engine's out. I should be able to have it on the stand in a week or two (again, working on it here and there when we have time)

I was wondering how you knew it was the oil pump? My friend had a 2200 go bad at 110k, it crapped the rod bearings into the pan like paper. The oil pump was fine. He thinks the header heats the oil pan too much heating the oil. We both have oil temp gauges and his runs a good amount hotter than my LD9, or course different motors.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:18 AM
WHITECAVY -

Well, not quite sure where you're located in relation to Syracuse, N.Y., but anything you might need I can help you on!

John Higgins -

Welllll... In trying to get the car back to our shop (in one piece) I added numerous quarts of oil (thinking they were getting burnt up) but the oil light wouldn't turn off and the "knock" wouldn't get any better. When I drained the oil at the shop, I came up with way more oil than is needed to run. I might actually install an oil cooler this winter as well--just have to figure out where to put it. But you're right--oil temperature--especially on my setup--is a huge concern.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:14 AM
Agent Omega wrote:WHITECAVY -

Well, not quite sure where you're located in relation to Syracuse, N.Y., but anything you might need I can help you on!

John Higgins -

Welllll... In trying to get the car back to our shop (in one piece) I added numerous quarts of oil (thinking they were getting burnt up) but the oil light wouldn't turn off and the "knock" wouldn't get any better. When I drained the oil at the shop, I came up with way more oil than is needed to run. I might actually install an oil cooler this winter as well--just have to figure out where to put it. But you're right--oil temperature--especially on my setup--is a huge concern.

Mount the cooler behind the intercooler. Should still get plenty of cooling there.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:25 AM
Hmm... So what kind of power were you getting with that setup? Or did it crap out too soon for you to get numbers? Also, how many miles does that 2200 have on it? I'm contemplating throwing a turbo on my 2200 auto lol..

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:49 AM
John Higgins -

I was actually thinking there or facing the ground under the T.B. Only thing that's going to be a PITA is using "nipples" to incorporate the cooler, as everything I use currently is braided SS tubing with comp. fittings.

RandomGuy 171 -

The car was actually running around for a month or so before being pulled in. It's a 2000 with about 48K on the original motor. The T3 spooled quickly--around 2800 RPM, and the low end power was impressive. But because it's a smaller turbo, top end power lacked a little bit. The car definitely moved with this setup, though. I'd say my only issue with it being an atuo is that it kind of "stammered" between shifts like it was confused. I might use something to increase line pressure in the future so I don't get that hesitation.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:34 AM
get that think apart I want pics

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:48 AM
Ouch. I can say no oil pressure on even an N/A engine = death.

I like the setup man, can't wait to see what you come back with.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search