CLASS PROJECT = ) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CLASS PROJECT = )
Friday, September 29, 2006 10:04 AM
our class saw the pics of the cavy with the 454 in it and for all the ppl who have done it and kno how to id like to kno every thing u guys did so our class can try it... we had a 96 cavy convertible donated by gm and we were told to do something crazy with it.. and me the cavy fan said lets put a big block in it... so now our class wants to do that but no one has ne idea... i mean i have an idea on how much it would cost and some major mods but the money is nothing every thing we need can be donated to our class so... if ne one is up to send me a link for a how to or tell me i would be happy and greatful for all the help

Re: CLASS PROJECT = )
Friday, September 29, 2006 10:07 AM
all im going to say is that its cost more then you school would provide. not sure if you talking high school or what here. but if you have no clue where to start...that my friend is your 1st sign.

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:18 AM
400 hp eco? lol much more doable and would cost alot less

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Friday, September 29, 2006 10:26 AM
make it a 500 hp eco rwd. Tip tubeing is your friend

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:29 AM
take a v6 engie and driveline out of an s10 and and make a rwd cav. just my $.02

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:37 AM
Heck, get the suspension/driveline out of a Syclone if money isn't an object and make an all-wheel drive with turbo.

My Car Domain
Friday, September 29, 2006 1:24 PM
if you have to ask how, then you cant do it. you've gotta get the engine, and custom fab and weld everything from motor mounts, to coolant and fuel and steering, EVERYTHING is custom, and cant be done until the engine is inside the bay... so you wont even know. therefore, if you have to ask, you dont know enough to do it.

better off building an eco with forged internals, and turbocharging it. or maybe like the other guys said, put in the v6 RWD from an s10...that would be pretty f'n cool if you ask me.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Friday, September 29, 2006 1:47 PM
3800 on 25 pounds of booostttt......yummmmmm

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Friday, September 29, 2006 1:57 PM
Why P&M?

Friday, September 29, 2006 2:41 PM
BlackyK wrote:Why P&M?

Friday, September 29, 2006 2:56 PM
yea, why p&m? lol
but even with the rwd s10 driveline, you'd still have to cut a tunnel for the driveshaft.
idk what class or where you go to school, but i really doubt that money isn't a problem. there's only so much that a school can afford and normally a project like that isn't on their list of high priorities for funding. you might want to look into a grant or something though. but do TONS of research first so you know what you're doing before you attempt it.

Friday, September 29, 2006 3:04 PM
sykeeok wrote:yea, why p&m? lol
but even with the rwd s10 driveline, you'd still have to cut a tunnel for the driveshaft.
idk what class or where you go to school, but i really doubt that money isn't a problem. there's only so much that a school can afford and normally a project like that isn't on their list of high priorities for funding. you might want to look into a grant or something though. but do TONS of research first so you know what you're doing before you attempt it.
And by research he doesn't mean coming on the org and asking "how do I do this?"...
I'd start by learning how an engine/driveline/suspension works, and then figuring out how ours is different from what you want to do. THEN, you can start seeing how you need to adapt what you have.
Oh yeah, I agree, unlimited funding? Maybe a tech school could fund something like this, but they tend to have instructors to help TEACH you, they don't normally rely on internet message boards...

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Friday, September 29, 2006 3:23 PM
thank you for clarifying because that honestly is exactly what i meant
just remember-with the information/knowledge, right tools, time and money, you can do anything. obviously you currently lack at the very least knowledge. and if your entire class doesn't know what to do then you all lack that knowledge. you probably don't have all the tools you'll need (flaring tools, welder, plasma cutter would be a good tool for that and of course all the normal car tools you would be looking at using not to mention a tubing bender for the custom exhaust you'll have to run). i seriously doubt a school would fund a project like that (i went to a tech school and we never had any cool cars running around unless they were funded by the students) so money will probably be an issue. and as far as time, i doubt you'll have enough if you don't even know where to start. figure on doing MONTHS at least of learning and planning before even attempting to get started. follow that will all the added time of designing parts, measuring, cutting, building, rebuilding if it doesn't come out right the first time, etc. and it won't be anywhere NEAR a good class project. yea, you'll learn a lot but that's only if you get it done. i know that if i owned a company like.......we'll say edlebrock and i donate a bunch of parts for you guys and then you don't get the job done i won't be donating to your school again. now don't just add up the fabrication that you'll need to get the engine in the car and make the rear wheels the drive wheels, but look at the electrical standpoint. are you planning to pull the pcm completely and run a carburated v8? are you doing fuel injection? what kind? throttle body, multiport, etc. what are you doing for a pcm if you do fuel injection? how will you make it work with the electrical system already in the car? how will the guages work? it's not a plausible project. it can obviously be done. i know i can't do it. not right now. i'd have to research more into the electrical side than anything. i'm sure i can drop a v8 in my cav but it's just not cost effective. not worth it to me. anyway, think about all that and what everyone else has said. it's a nice dream but make sure you KNOW what it takes to make it a reality before you try to do it. don't bite off more than you can chew. not trying to be mean, i just don't want you guys to all get your hopes up and then run into problems down the road and get down about it and not finish the project.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 10:24 PM
sykeeok wrote:thank you for clarifying because that honestly is exactly what i meant
.......BLAH BLAH BLAH.......so money will probably be an issue. and as far as time, i dou ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......wstart. figure on doing MONTHS at least of ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......w project. yea, you'll learn a lot but that's only if you get it done. ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......what are you doing for a pcm if you do ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......w it work with the electrical system already in the car? how will the guages work? i ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......wnot worth it to me. anyway, think about all that a ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......wure you KNOW ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......wproblems down the road and ......BLAH BLAH BLAH......w

=
Never try anything new....?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

With a knowledgeable teacher, $5,000 fund, a class of decently educated students, and a few months of dedicated work it should be a very manageable project......unless of course your a pessimist like Sykeeok. Then you wont get @!#$ done....

-Nate (ZeeTwankyFo)

Sunday, October 01, 2006 12:01 AM
ZeeTwankyFo wrote:Never try anything new....?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
With a knowledgeable teacher, $5,000 fund, a class of decently educated students, and a few months of dedicated work it should be a very manageable project......unless of course your a pessimist like Sykeeok. Then you wont get @!#$ done....
=don't get in over your head, start smaller.
I don't think the decently educated students are there, otherwise this post never would have been started...

fortune cookie say:
Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:26 AM
well my class does have the tools and the money and the knowledge but we just wanted to know the basics of were to start on it... bashing my know how isnt going to so ne thing... when all i asked was a simple question so we can attempt it.. our class is full of dumb asses but there a small group of us how kno wtf were doing... but thnx for being ass holes
Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:33 AM
no problem, I hope we saved you a semester of grief

fortune cookie say:
Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:42 AM
hope so
Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:06 PM
i'm not being pessimistic, just realistic. and yes, i've tried many new things. the only way my car has changed was because i've modified it. and if you look at my current thread you can see i have a lot ahead of me. do i know how to do everything i have to? no. i'm learning things by doing them. i am a mechanic so some of the stuff isn't too hard, but the body work i'm learning as i go along. i'm also going to be painting the car myself. i have no idea how to paint. i have an hvlp gun but i don't even know what all the knobs on it do. that's not going to stop me. but i also don't have a deadline (like a school year or semester) to get the job done, so if things get slowed down due to whatever reason it's no big deal. also, everything i'm planning to do is only mild modification. widebody for the rear, '78 vetter door handles, etc. nothing like dropping a rwd v8 in a fwd i4 car. remember, there's a difference between possible and plausible. anything is possible with the money, time, tools and knowledge. plausible tends to be a different story. if you think i'm being pessimistic or an @$$hole or whatever, fine. i'm doing nothing but trying to be realistic. remember, you're only as fast as your slowest classmate (or at least classmate on the project) and not to be mean, but if you're asking where to start then it doesn't sound like you guys have all that much knowledge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search