Goodies for the trunk.. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Goodies for the trunk..
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:21 PM
If anyone pays attention to my car or remembers I picked up a JL W7 last month, in a badly made box missing the W7 logo, needed some cleaning up.. and I was powering it a 300w bazooka amp.. not the best of days..

Well.. I have some new goodies that are going into the car tomorrow and ill get pics and im getting metered by a local shop also.. here are some pics

This is what I started with last month..

Got the logo on and cleaned it up and got a good JL box ported and tuned to 36 hz at 2.5 cubes..

There is the sub in the trunk being powered by a 300w bazooka amp

So.... thats how it say until tonight when I scored an amp for it, and also got my Optima Redtop back on the charger, so I can install that in the trunk and re wire it all tomorrow, so more pics to come, but here are the pics of the stuff I got

Optima on the charger..

JL 1000/1 Amplifier

Let me know what you think, and ill have some pics and vids installed tomorrow at the comp. ill be in

Re: Goodies for the trunk..
Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:35 AM
holy shat. thats a huge amp. you coming this saturday to the car show at iupui? i'll have some updates as well.

my carDomain updated 8/27/06

I've got premium. Yes I do. I've got premium. How 'bout you?

Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:39 AM
That's pretty. I'll trade you

Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:17 AM
Sweet!!!!! I dig it. Should shake the bondo outta yo trunk lid.
Can't wait to hear it.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:08 AM
nice setup their and man that is one big amp

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, September 28, 2006 6:11 AM
john harrington wrote:Sweet!!!!! I dig it. Should shake the bondo outta yo trunk lid.
Can't wait to hear it.

The scary part is that might be true!!

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:34 AM
john harrington wrote:Sweet!!!!! I dig it. Should shake the bondo outta yo trunk lid.
Can't wait to hear it.

it is ur old trunk.. how much body filler was put on there? i seriously hope ur just kidding that there isnt much on there lol

Glad u got it last night jeff.. gonna sound great.. Start the warming up

Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:39 AM
looks much better! thats gonna sound good. i dont know if you know but you can go to the JL website and get a manual and tune your amp for your sub perferctly.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:46 PM
what size power wire are you running from the front ot the rear?

My Myspace Page
Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:55 PM
haha.. I dont have any bondo in the trunk at all.. its all welded lol John said it not me..

I have 4 gauge ran back and 0 gauge ground to the chasis off to two 4 ga. wires to my amps.. i want to upgrade power to 0 gauge and also my 100 amp circuit breaker keeps popping.. I wonder if I can find a 150 pretty cheap ?

Ill have pics up within the hour hopefully..

I cant get it running right because my low ohm light comes on amber whenever I put the speaker wire from the sub.. maybe someone knows? Im about to make a post in Audio and see if anyone can figure it out.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:57 PM
I know what possibly could be your problem.

Your amp might be defective, is it used?

Also I think if your Low ohm light is on, which it should not be on a single 3ohm subwoofer that you might have damaged your subwoofer like I tols you at the BBQ.

When you had that sub playing off the 300watt Bazooka amp, to be honest it was the WORST sound I'ver ever heard coming from a subwoofer, there is a chance you damaged the voice coil. That amp maybe puts out a clean 250watts RMS and you had so much distortion goign to it tryin to make the subwoofer loud that you were doing more damage to the coil than what you thought.

Put a Ohm meter on just the terminals of the sub, let me know what it reads. My 10W7's read 2.8ohm when they were new out of the box.

Either way you got a bad amp or a bad sub if EVERYTHING is wired correctly.

My Myspace Page

Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:40 PM
also you could try what i suggestesd eariler. go to the JLeb site and look at there set up for the 100/1 with a W7. but im sure james knows what he's talking about

Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:31 PM
yeah.. when it was set up I used that guide in the manual to set it up..

Now here comes the crazy part.. if the low ohm light is on, and I like knock on it.. or move it really fast.. the light will go off and it will stop the noise and act normal, and then a few min after that, it will start again, so I have a feeling there is something going on in the amp...

it sounds great when it works properly and get plenty loud and the sub was on that bazooka maybe 2 weeks and didnt have it up loud after the BBQ, so it shouldnt have hurt it too bad, I only played it like that for the day, and it hasnt really been turned up since.. but since you can flick it or knock on it and make it play normal.. I think there is something going on in the amp.. but I cant get it to play loud enough for long enough to tell because im either popping the breaker, or the amp starts acting funny, I cant win I guess

Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:02 PM
As far as the breaker popping, I guess I should upgrade to 0 guage so i can run a bigger fuse so it wont pop.. but im completely broke, I need a way to make this work for 2 weeks.. and I dont know it if would be ok to run it with no fuse or breaker on 4 gauge seeing as how quick the amp makes the wire reach 100amp and pop it right away. This sucks.. I have nice stuff and cant get it to work right.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:52 PM
I'd avoid running with no breaker or fuse. Good way to mess somethin up bad. My breaker is a 160 amp I think. Got it at an audio shop for about $40, so not too bad of a price. Worse comes to worse, I'd run without subs til you can get proper connections.

Friday, September 29, 2006 4:01 AM
Jason (Pilz-E) wrote:I'd avoid running with no breaker or fuse. Good way to mess somethin up bad. My breaker is a 160 amp I think. Got it at an audio shop for about $40, so not too bad of a price. Worse comes to worse, I'd run without subs til you can get proper connections.

exactly, i dont know much about audio/subs/amps yet but im in a electrical class and this is stuff we have done already.. DONT run without a fusiable link.. that can really screw some @!#$ up. I'd say do without till u can get it right.. u might not like that jeff but by pushin it or doing what u said u can really mess something up.. i'd just wait out the two weeks.. not gonna kill ya.

much

Friday, September 29, 2006 8:56 PM
Here is a video I took of the sub tonight, its dark, but you can kinda see.. I had the sub down when I hit record and then went and turned it up, and then at the end my circuit breaker shuts it off.. ill be putting 0 gauge wire in next week

P.S. I reran 0 guage ground with grounding block and 4 gauge grounds to each amp, and also ran 12 gauge remote wire all the way up and found out the CD player issue was the remote, now after a hefty power upgrade I can start turning it up ... and may put my red top back tehre or a cap because my headlights damn near shut off.. heres the video

Sub video

Friday, September 29, 2006 8:57 PM
with the crappy camera and being so close it doesnt sound good, but yuo can see the excursion, with the new box and proper power im not getting any distortion issues like I was with 300 watts and a poorly built box

Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:49 AM
nice man

Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:58 AM
Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:43 PM
well.. Amp was defective so it was returned and Sub is for sale in mid-east...

That didnt take long

Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:54 PM
That totally sucks man...sorry to here about your misfortune.

My Car Domain
Saturday, September 30, 2006 7:43 PM
that totally sucks. i have the same amp (jl 1000/1) and i absolutely love it. i got mine brand new though and luckily haven't had any problems with it. sorry to hear about your problems. i guess you just need to move on to bigger and better things?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search