Dash out, new one underconstruction...again... - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dash out, new one underconstruction...again...
Monday, September 04, 2006 5:02 PM
Well, with the widebody well underway, my season is pretty much over with. The past little while I've thought about doing another dash board, but then I thought how much time went into the one I currently have. But I wasn't overall pleased with the one I had, and the t.vs in the dash wern't the best quality either. Those were 2 reasons why I wanted to go ahead with a new design...that and for the fact I felt like it

here is the dash taken out, and wires galore (I spent a long time today cleaning it all up at least).

The other day I took a drive to see Jeff (bagedfire) and bought a nice 12" LCD off of him. I will have this dash looking cleaner, and a little more 'concept design' into it.

On both driver side and passenger side I will have two 7" screens (4 total), CD deck in the middle, Cyberdine digital gauges above (between the tvs), 12" LCD below in the middle, and my switches mounted below. The hvac will go back into the arm rest, but done cleaner like everyone suggested a while back.

a large amount of frame work is done, but I still have to create the shape for the gauges, and tvs on the top of the dash.

I will be keeping it all fiberglassed and painted blue, and I'll be adding carbon fiber as accent parts (mostlikely running down the middle and the back wall area.

One thing I love about my G6 are the round air vents. They can move any direction and work great. So I'll be putting in 2 Pontiac G6 Air vents aswell

There will be alot of work needed to pull this off, so between working on the dash, working on the widebody, going to school, and working 40 hr weeks I'll be pretty damn busy over the next couple of months.

Re: Dash out, new one underconstruction...again...
Monday, September 04, 2006 5:18 PM
I'm amazed you find time to work on your car at all between school and working 40 hours a week. Congrats!

Monday, September 04, 2006 5:26 PM
itll be interesting to see how you do the top part of this dash

Monday, September 04, 2006 5:34 PM
too early to tell but it will probably come out crazy!

"Louis, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child,
that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue
with a pervert" -- Peter Griffin
Monday, September 04, 2006 5:59 PM
dont to full cf this time... ike u said.. painted body color will be sexy.. or even black.. i donno.. may be tooooooooooooo muchblue

15.1@90.34mph
Monday, September 04, 2006 8:04 PM
Vince-like i said, allways a fan of your interior work. Ill be doing more soon. You selling the tv's you had?
If so get ahold of me.
thanx
Jon

Monday, September 04, 2006 8:22 PM
You much have a STOCKPILE of cardboard at your house...because you go through quite a bit of it. Do you use anything else to frame up?
Monday, September 04, 2006 8:27 PM
i didn't care for the way you had the monitors before in the old dash ... i say you should have them inbeaded into the dash some more but thats just me! it will look good to you so thats all that matters to me! congrats on finding time lol

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:25 AM
Vince, when going with full custom gauges, check this out first. Some years, not sure which ones, need the factory cluster or the car wont run. If this is the case you will have to keep your factory cluster but hide it somewhere behind the dash.
Other than that, should look good buddy, cant wait to see it.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:36 AM
how many projects you got goin on at once oh well itll all get done to early to tell but as far as the rest of your work goes i cant see it being anything less then awesome

so is this your second official progress thread ?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084827
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 3:55 PM
thanks guys

Well finding time is the hard part, I try to wake up earlier some days to get a head start, and late at night before bed usually. My free days whenIm not out, i take advantage of the time I have.

Yeah, only a few parts will be done in c/f, not a full dash like the previous one.

Jon: not to sure yet, I think I'll be using them still, I'll keep in touch on msn with you

Fst Cavy: I work at a movie theatre, and all our stock comes in boxes. Not to mention the large cardboard standees work wonders aswell

Darren: You know what years? I have a 98, I think I'll be okay with the cluster...

Z22Cavrs: Yup, I normally do this to myself, I never finish one thing at a time, I end up doing multiple projects at one time. But this dash will be completed sooner than expected....I hope so at least.

I'll post up pics in a little while, I did all the fiberglassing today for the basic shape. I still need to create the Tv and cluster encloser on the top section of the dash too.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 4:57 PM
dude your crazy love all you stuff

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:10 PM
Vince-Ok thas cool, you know where to get screens at a good price im looking for few small ones and possibly a 12" or something.
thanx
Jon

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:59 AM
Actually man, Joe at Racetech has a 98 and he tried starting his with no cluster, it wouldnt run...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 4:18 AM
cardboard and ducttape are my dream dash too..do you have to prep teh cardboard any way special for c/f or does it lay right over it?

interested in see what you do with this definatly

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:17 AM
Yea darren, I might be changing my initial plans now. With that air ride this week, I think I'll be keeping the cluster still anyways. I'll be changing it up as I go along the process. By the way Darren, check my msn name, looks like your wish came earlier than expected for you

Manta Z(The Primered One): Sweet, someone else who loves a cardboard and duct tape dash . lol...well actually, I never laid c/f ontop of cardboard before (don't see whynot though), but once the dash is glassed and sanded smooth, I will lay the c/f ontop of the glass as opposed to the cardboard.

I'm back at school right now sadly enough, then I work tonight, so I won't have anytime to work on it today...but Thursday I'm off school so it looks like I'll be getting a full days worth of fiberglassing and sanding (note...im not smiling b/c of the sanding part...lol.)

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:32 AM
one word: AGAIN?!

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier SOLD | 2002 BMW 330i SOLD | 2004 BMW 645i
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:46 AM
Two words: I know!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:23 AM

Hey Vince , Always loved your car.

Darren is right about the cluster thing. I just finished putting in my full Cyberdyne dash and without having the curciut board from the '96 gauges the passlock won't let the car start. Even with the HPTuners set for VATS:disable.

I'll get a quick post put up later so you can take a look.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:01 AM
your airduct system is the PIMP!! lol

love the look.

GOT ECOTEC?
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:03 AM
i hate you, i really hate you lol

if u just throw resin onto cardboard it wont be coming off anytime soon. i think this one will look a little better vince. i think it will flow with the car a little better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:15 PM
Gary: Can you check your PM for me, I'm sending you a message after this post, I have a question to ask you.

Dave: thanks man. It took me a little more time to get it done right than it looks. lol. The air flow is remakably strong on both sides.

Jason: I hate you too so there . I have to agree it will flow more with the car than the previous one.

My initial thought that went into this was a more unique style dash, something clean cut by having a more concept feel to it. I've got my dash in the car and set pretty much how it will stand when completed. I still have to mold in the G6 air vents, do some more tidy up work on the sides of the dash where it meets the doors, but overall it's getting there pretty fast for the most part (which is a bonus ).

I was thinking of keeping the gauges to make things easier, but know what...after looking at the pics, I think digital gauges would look so much cleaner instead. (so please ignore the stock gauge cluster now ).

I thought about having one t.v on each side like shown:

....BUT...it looks TOO much, out of place, and no longer looks clean. So I thought about this:

....BUT again. Looks out of place. So I am sticking with this design (minus the stock cluster):

Digital gauges would clean up the look of the dash alot more aswell. That is it for now, I gota head off to work now, but tomorrow I will get up semi-early and start to do some more work to the dash. If things keep on pace, I could finish in 2 weeks tops.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:19 PM
That is........That is........That is........Sorry no words.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:28 PM
^ i emailed you just now Gary

That is what...hummmmm...lol

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:09 PM
god you work quick vince!, it looks awesome!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search