New engine install, take 2,PICS, no 56 K - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New engine install, take 2,PICS, no 56 K
Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:05 PM
Well, as the title hints at, this is take two for my built engine install. The first install is detailed in another post here

As noted in the end of that thread, a wrist pin slide out into the cylinder wall after about 50 miles and ate up the cylinder wall. Well, instead of sending it back to JBP, who i didn't trust anymore, I let it sit for a while, i graduated, started a new job, and I finally put my attention back towards it in january 2006. The pistons from the first motor were re-usuable, the rods, were... not. I bought eagle rods, and convered to a floating wrist pin setup, so that the wrist pin has no chance to slid out (in a pressed fit design). I also cryo treated the rods, pistons, and my new flywheel.

After a lengthy process of gettings parts, cryotreating, and the machine shop assembling it all and fixing the cylinder wall with a sleeve, I got it back mid may, and put it all together. It's now running, and running well. Now, onto turbo. Here are a few pics from the install process.

Oil drive pump driven off that gear (from cam) inside the hole.

My work Area, a storage unit. I live in an apartment complex, so had to rent a storage unit. $230/month!!

Clutch installed onto flywhell

New brakes

Throwout bearings for transmission.

installed throwout bearing

In the air

tranny

water pump location

passenger side output from transmission

engine bay

rear tranny mount

Back of the block, near the firewall

Engine bay again

Water pump installed

Cylinder head

Combustion chamber

Intake ports

intake port close up

Springs close up, these are JBP springs, retainers, and locks

Exhaust ports

exhaust port close up

Starter installed

ready to drop in

side view

Skip ahead a few days, all done, and ready to start.

Brakes

Engine, driver side view

Top feed conversion pics, that brass area is the fuel return fitting, fitted to the 2200 fuel rail.

passenger side of throttle body, and fuel rail

exhaust manifold

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator from aeromotive

Positive battery connections

Part of the wiring to my datalogging plx m-500 wideband unit. With some wires labeled.

outside running

Running, all thumbs up.

There is also a Video of the initial startup, but it's completly uncompressed, so, i'll have to work on getting it a bit smaller, right now it's like 280 MB. too big to post. I'll try and get that sized down, and post that. Hope you enjoyed the pics. Comments welcomed.

Re: New engine install, take 2,PICS, no 56 K
Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:15 PM
Congrats on the install... Looks good man.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:16 PM
looks like fun. topfeed conversion looks good

Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:17 PM
Sweet!

Can't wait to see that OHV with boost!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:35 PM
Bballjamal (Cav-AtL) wrote:Sweet!

Can't wait to see that OHV with boost!

Me either! The turbo manifold is coming in next week. Now begins the gathering of turbo parts hehe

Monday, June 19, 2006 7:36 PM
Hey Jeff,
Man so glad to see the sunfire alive again, cant wait to come up on july and check her out....... Turrrrrbo soon hopefully by the time i come back from the middle east .... oh yea jeff. Im buying a car, here is a little hint = 1.2 L inline 4, turbocharged, RWD, 1988......

You know me and I-4-turbos-RWD working the cash flow right now, but ill keep you updated

Cheers

~abood
Monday, June 19, 2006 7:37 PM
Abood A wrote:Hey Jeff,
Man so glad to see the sunfire alive again, cant wait to come up on july and check her out....... Turrrrrbo soon hopefully by the time i come back from the middle east .... oh yea jeff. Im buying a car, here is a little hint = 1.2 L inline 4, turbocharged, RWD, 1988......

You know me and I-4-turbos-RWD working the cash flow right now, but ill keep you updated

Cheers

~abood

2.2 L sorry lol
Monday, June 19, 2006 8:08 PM
looks awesome jeff.

I've always been a fan of your car, I cant wait to see this thing with some BOOST!!

keep it up!!

Monday, June 19, 2006 9:00 PM
I followed your engine build thread a while back and remember the wood spacer for the intake mani. You should've changed the location of the coil packs while the engine was out.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:06 AM
Predator wrote:I followed your engine build thread a while back and remember the wood spacer for the intake mani. You should've changed the location of the coil packs while the engine was out.

Soon enought, I'll probably have a MSD dis-2 in there, with upgraded coil packs. Why would I want to change the location of the coil packs though? It seems to be in a good spot.

With the Dis-2 , it'll be pretty easy to wire in my megasquirt to control it, once i get that.

and the wood spacer, that was great. haha. Now it's metel though, as you can see in the pictures.

Thanks for the comments all. They are very appreciated.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:28 PM
looks like alot of hard work sorry about the past issues that sucks. good luck with the turbo

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:51 AM
Quote:

Why would I want to change the location of the coil packs though? It seems to be in a good spot.
Have you ever had to replace a faulty one?? It's a pain in the dick. Your arm will hurt for days.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 1:58 PM
Predator wrote:
Quote:

Why would I want to change the location of the coil packs though? It seems to be in a good spot.
Have you ever had to replace a faulty one?? It's a pain in the dick. Your arm will hurt for days.

its only a pain in the dick if you have the auto, b/c the trans goes along the back of the motor, with a five speed it is as easy as pie
Friday, June 23, 2006 7:47 AM
Yeah that's it. I even lost a bolt to one of the coil packs somewhere on my trans. lol

Saturday, June 24, 2006 8:39 PM
Ah, ya, the auto, that thing is a pain. I hated doing oil changes when i had auto. I took my auto trans, ripped it out, and put a manual in. When i had the auto out, i took a big sledge hammer to it, to get back at it. haha.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search