Fiber Glassing For the First Time Thnx Airtonics! - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fiber Glassing For the First Time Thnx Airtonics!
Monday, April 03, 2006 7:38 PM
Well I tried Fiber glassins tonight. I just figured for 12$ worth of materials I can learn something new and I had the old Bezzel from my GFs totaled coupe. I must say I have a new respect for all people who FG their systems, and body parts. Very time consuming and hard. Not to mentiong stuff sticks to your fingers like no other.

Keep in mind this is my first try, I have not bondoed it yet and it still needs tweeking and sanding.

I want to say thanks to Aitonics for that post he made showing how he did his.

Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible

Re: Fiber Glassing For the First Time Thnx Airtonics!
Monday, April 03, 2006 7:53 PM
it looks like the holes might be a lil bit off but sweet none the less

and i assume that those are just test gauges... why two oil pressure gauges otherwise?

Re: Fiber Glassing For the First Time Thnx Airtonics!
Monday, April 03, 2006 7:57 PM
Not a bad first try... alignment issues it seems... and a LOT of sanding to do.

But a great first shot nevertheless.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Re: Fiber Glassing For the First Time Thnx Airtoni
Monday, April 03, 2006 7:59 PM
If you didn't sand that plastic real well with 60 grit, the fiberglass most likely is not going to stick to the plastic very long. So you might want to reconsider re-doing it now before you get any farther. Just try sticking a knife between the fiberglass and plastic and see how easily it peals off or gets air under it. You can see it when the color changes to white, that the fiberglass has lifted off the plastic. Other than that keep up the work its not as easy as it looks sometimes.

15.149 @ 91.26mph 3-18-2006
Monday, April 03, 2006 8:08 PM
The Autometer guages I am useing, that other oil pressure guage I just ised as a guide, it doesnt even work, lol.

I have a ton of sanding to do and getting the angle right will be easier after I sand.

As for scuffing it up I read the directions and it told me to clean really well and scuff. So I dereased it and did scuff where I was fiberglassing. This stuff is really tuff, I can not believe how strong it is. I did 3.5 layers, one was thin so I say 3.5. I still have a days worth of work to go on it to make it perfect. Hope it turns out good.

Monday, April 03, 2006 11:22 PM
you really should have sanded with someting like 60. i would say if your going to put more glass on the sand it all with 60 and drill some holes for everything to soke into and it will create a tighter bond and be alot stronger. trust me i didnt do it right the first time.

Monday, April 03, 2006 11:35 PM
Practice makes perfect. Keep up the good work.

-Teske

Monday, April 03, 2006 11:54 PM
Matt Teske wrote:Practice makes perfect. Keep up the good work.

-Teske
thats what i was thinking

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:09 AM
wyea keep goin with it!!!!!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 4:01 AM
looks like you're off to a good start. kinda reminds me of my first attempt at making one of those. if you decide that you don't like that one and want to sell it, ebay is the way to go. i've been making similar bezels and selling them on ebay for some decent money

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:47 AM
So do I sand down the FG and then put bondo on it? I have to build up a few places and it has a lot of work to go. I am hoping to get it done today in primer.

As for making another I probably will, I have a 2000 bezzel which I could use and sell.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:25 AM
Looks like a good start for your first time. I'm kinda at the same point/skill level as you are with my door panels.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:50 AM
I would glass more where you need to build it up and then body filler. lots and lots of sanding is in store for you today if you want to be in primer today.

good luck

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:57 AM
pretty good for a first time i must say. Keep at it, and you'll perfect your skills.

Just remember a proper mask to protect yourself, and gloves to keep your hands clean.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:20 AM
Chris Fontana wrote:Not to mentiong stuff sticks to your fingers like no other.

i picked up a box of latex gloves for like $3.50 and i havn't even used up half of them yet. i think there's like 200 in a box. those really help a lot when working with fiberglass. if you go to a local grocery store, the deli or meat counter should have some, and i bet they'd sell em to you.

have fun with the glassing, you're doing a good job so far.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:40 PM
Yea, um proper mask, I gotta do that next time. I just tied a T shirt around my mouth like a bandana and use goggles. I gotta get a real mask.

So I sand and then bondo right? I am going to get Bondo right now and going to start sanding and re shaping. I will have more pics up.

Cannon, how you doing, havent seen you post much. It kills me every time I see your car, it really came a far way. Ever get a rear bumper?

Kick ass Sunfire!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:06 PM
not a bad job... i tell u what once you get the hang of it it comes pretty easy. heres my first fiberglassing job..
BEFORE

AFTER

i used the fiberglass sheet w/ resin first... then to mold my edges i used kity hair... once i got it close then i used the bondo and final glaze... Good luck on the rest

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:52 PM
jesus herbert christ! will someone please do something different with there guage's!

Every time I see these post now its all 3 guages in the A/C vents. god damn! be original

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:19 PM
Is that blood on the Xerox box? Were animals harmed in the making of this fiberglass project???

Anyway, good first try. Better than I could do my first time.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:16 PM
Nice! Someone make a FAQ on this! lol i wanna do that

http://www.cardomain.com/id/oyyci
http://photobucket.com/albums/d170/Oyyci/
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:26 PM
go to interior forum. theres a link to good instructions in there

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:44 PM
i hope you sanded the bezel good, and maybe drilled some tiny holes for the resin to grab on to. Glass doesn't like to stick very well to the plastic bezels without prep.

Looks good.

My Myspace Page
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:46 PM
Updates: Now in bondo

I think I am having a problem though, I cant get the guages to fit flush, anyone have any secrets? I am thinking about taking out the PCV pipe and putting it back in leaving a little bit of space so I dont have to keep shaping the holes. So my plan is to take off the PCV, leave everything else intact and round out the holes so I can get the PVC through and then bondo a nice transition very smooth to look factory.

TwiZtiD CaVy - That looks awesome, I hope mine turns out as good as that.

Stenger - Whaaaaaaa (Arty from Stern) Its a good idea and better than a guage pod.

RandomGuy 171- Dont worry about it...

Thanks and it is far from done being sanded, lots to go, and another coat of bondo. Also is there a glaze or something? Whats it called and where to get it?

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:23 PM
its not a bad idea for them, but its just so over done anymore. Its kinda like the lambo doors.

I seen someone who put there down the center console. that looked bad ass.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:30 PM
Stenger wrote:its not a bad idea for them, but its just so over done anymore. Its kinda like the lambo doors.

I seen someone who put there down the center console. that looked bad ass.

I hear ya, but like all other mods you have to remember the JBO is much different than daily life. I mean, there is one local guy with a lambo Cav around here, and only 2 SC cavs around me in a 90 mile radius. So it works for me and for my area it is different.

The center console is sweet looking but not very useful. the benefit to the guages there is you can see them out of the corner of your eye and down low might be hard to see. I cant wait to get this painted none the less.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search